cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vns15
Journeyman III

Chill not working in main menu and ingame menus (witcher 3)

Hello,

I was testing some fps capping software and noticed that chill didn't work in main menu and in-game menu.

I also tried RTSS but it didn't cap my fps at all for some reason.

I wanted to cap fps because i was getting close to 3000 fps in main menu and +500 in in-game menu.

Can this high fps cause any problems to my GPU? I've sometimes noticed that fans ramp up and even coil whine from time to time.

3 Replies
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @vns15 

Yes I have been reporting this issue for years to AMD, the Chill algorithm breaks/disables in scenes where there are small polygon counts.

For this reason, you have to use one of the following scenarios:

• Enable VSync to cap at Refresh Rate (you can still use Chill with VSync).
  • Use FRTC in conjunction with Chill (FRTC is thankfully back, it is in Global Graphics->Advanced Drop Down). You can also combine Enhanced Sync with this; if you want to; and set FRTC to your refresh rate to prevent tearing at the refresh rate.

Coil whine usually happens when frame-rates get very high, and yes it is bad in the case that the GPU runs at Max Load in the menu since it causes temperatures to get high and thermal paste to dry out sooner.

Kind regards

Hi,

I'll try FRTC. I didn't know it was put back in

Thanks!

Hi @vns15 

My pleasure, just take note that FRTC only works in the following scenarios:

• Only works with VSync when/if you also have FreeSync enabled.
  • If you do not have FreeSync, it does not work with VSync, but it works with Enhanced Sync or without having any Sync on.

Kind regards

0 Likes