Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vaso_05
Journeyman III

BSOD amdkmdag.sys - AMD Radeon 7650M 2GB

Hi! 

It's been a long time since I tried to fix this problem. But now I want to fix it again, and I hope this time, for the last time. 

I have an HP ProBook 4740S with 8 gigs of Ram with an Intel i5 - 2450m - 2.5 GHz. Few years back I had a BSOD after a gaming session on a not particularly heavy game - Minecraft. Tried searching on the internet and just decided to turn off my dedicated in my BIOS since I can't even use my PC when the card is on. 

My BSOD says an error like this - amdkmdag.sys, when I try to boot my computer. Been using this laptop for few years without a dedicated GPU. Went into safe mode, booted with dedicated GPU but when I try to install a driver for my GPU I get a BSOD when it reaches - Installing Display Driver - I tried many versions, Windows 10 version, Crimson Beta version, Manufacturer drivers from the official site, AMD Site, AMD Detected, hell, even Windows update. Using Windows update gives me the same outcome. Out of nowhere, I receive a BSOD and there it goes. Then I usually turn off the dedicated GPU, boot into safe mode, use DDU uninstaller and continue using my pc with only integrated gpu. There is a different outcome when I install Windows 8 driver though.

Driver installation goes smoothly, but when I restart, I can't access the CCC, and I receive multiple notification regarding  - AMD Driver is not installed, reinstall it yada yada yada - 

Is this a mother board issue? Is there anything I can do? I was thinking to buy a new PC anyways and I think it's better to save the money on my next build rather than spending on a new motherboard that might not be new.

Regards, Vasilije

0 Likes
17 Replies
vaso_05
Journeyman III

• I like how nobody helped me
0 Likes

You have switchable graphics...Intel and AMD. The Intel driver must be the latest from INTEL ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ ) and installed before the AMD drivers. The AMD driver is considered Legacy...meaning no more updates...the last/current update >  https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-7650m

There are bios and chipset updates available from the manufacturer...install them > https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-4740s-notebook-pc/5229498

0 Likes

I have the newest BIOS update for my system. Could this be a motherboard issue? I also tried your method many many times. I also considered downloading Intel Drivers first then AMD ones. Is there anything I should do? 

0 Likes

What OS? In Device manager, do you see any yellow error marks?

Install the Intel drivers first...which AMD driver version are you trying to install?

0 Likes

Windows 10 x64.

No yellow marks in the Device Manager

Currently, I have my dedicated GPU disabled. I could download the Drivers, install DDU, uninstall Intel Drivers, and then AMD Drivers. I could try this. BIOS Version is up to date and the Chipset driver is downloaded from my manufacturer's site. My INTEL Driver is up to date. I checked it and downloaded it using the manufacturer's website. The problem is when I try to install AMD Drivers it gets to a part - installing display driver - and the PC blacks-out. I tried to restart and I get this BSOD error

0 Likes

First enable the AMD card. Reboot your computer. From Device manager...graphics/AMD/update driver/browse my computer/let me pick from a list/Have Disk/browse/browse to C:AMD/select which driver..double click/packages/ drivers/display....install the drivers and reboot.

Next we will discuss how to assign the AMD graphics to a app or game.

0 Likes

Just tried it. Blue screen.

0 Likes

Sorry for the late response. I haven't installed the October 2020 update and it's still waiting to be installed right now I'm on Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041. I believe it's from early 2020 or somewhere around in the first part of 2020. I tried also fixing my problem 2 years ago and yet I get the same error. I tried reinstalling Windows before. Is this a motherboard issue? Could my dedicated GPU somehow got damaged due to overheating?  Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes

Drivers and Software

AMD software and drivers are designed to work best for up-to-date operating systems. Please be sure to update your operating system before installing drivers.
0 Likes

SOLUTION IN THE LINE 10 IF U WANT TO SKIP MY TALKING

Bro i have the same card with intel hd integrated i face this problem 1 year ago just like u and a lot of ppl saying that the crimsoft driver 16.2 beta was the problem ..okey this driver do a hardware problem . One mounth ago i tried to fix it with the hair dryer and it works for period like 5 days but i installed the beta driver another time so i can play enlisted becaus it dont accept catalyst driver so the problem comes again and i didnt fix it cauz m tired of this amd anyways try to fix the gpu with hair dryer u can see ppl on youtube just search " fix gpu with hair dryer" for 90% it will work again and it may stay with u 1 day or 1 week or 1 year. Or maybe it will not  anyways try it and i hope it works for u 

0 Likes

How will I use a hair dryer on a laptop? As you said it, it's a hardware problem. Thank you I'll try this

0 Likes

what driver did you install ????

0 Likes

If your fixing it with the hairdryer, then that means the solder has cracked and you are heating it to reconnect the pins on the GPU..

This can last for a few days to a few months, solder is brittle now as there is no lead in solder now..

You could find a computer shop to do a reflow on the GPU, but even that is not a permanent solution..

You could try to find a second-hand motherboard and hope it hasn't got the same problem or been reflowed already..

The last solution is a new laptop, it's not an AMD problem, it's the laptop manufacturer problem.. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
kingragnar78
Journeyman III

hey, bro, I have hp ProBook 4540s with Intel and AMD 7650m and I'm having the same issue you have I have tried so many ways and it didn't work out I'm still using only intel with disabling AMD. if you find out sth let me know 

0 Likes

I have the same problem and tried the same things you did and nothing  work at all but when i gave it for reinstaling the windows the men instals the every single driver without a single problem i dont know maybe the problem is somwhere hidden from us

0 Likes

It's been almost two years and I gave up. No worth fixing it. It's a hardware problem, finding a new motherboard is rare, this laptop is almost 10 years old but it runs okay for basic use. 

0 Likes