cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jmag1988
Adept II

Browser Freezing, Lock Ups and Black Screens when browsing and watching videos with 23.9.2 and 23.9

Hello, yesterday I updated the drivers of my RX 6700XT and I am experiencing problems with freezing and black screens when watching videos. If I am watching a video and I enter or exit full screen, the PC first freezes and then gives a black screen, and then After 10 seconds the image returns fine, it also happened to me with a game, when I was playing and went to the desktop the PC remained on a black screen and I had to turn off the PC with the button, when I turned it on again it did not let me open adrenalin so I had to reinstall it again. Is there a way to solve this problem? Do I have to wait for AMD to release a new update? Thank you.

1 Solution

Please try updating to the Adrenalin 23.11.1 drivers.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

View solution in original post

140 Replies

I have had the same problem, freezing on Edge and freezing when fullscreening on Firefox. It also froze on Steam and when fullscreening videos on Discord. I fixed it by turning FreeSync off and on again from my display's settings and everything seems to work fine for now. I hope this fix works for you too.

PC: 5600X & 6800XT on Adrenalin 23.9.3 (previously on 23.8.x)

Hey,

I also had this issue: from the time I upgraded to 23.9.2 I had random screen freeze or blank, during about 10 seconds.

I opened Adrenaline software, anche turned off Freesync. As I pushed the switch to turn it off, the screen froze for 5 seconds.

Then I re-activated freesync and it seems the problem is gone. 
At least for now...

EDIT: nope... bug still here.

treeger
Adept I

disable all hardware acceleration on all program like chrome, edge, firefox, teams, or other will fix the problem. in january 2023 the problem was know for the first time. and we are the information on first release of february 2023.

0 Likes
adreno205
Journeyman III

I had the same issue my screen always randomly freeze after use for a while
and I got that freezing appear when open brwoser (chrome & edge)
when I close browser I never seen the freezing screen
but my work always use browser  

my gpu : AMD Radeon™ RX 6600M
Windows 11 : 32 GB Ram 
CPU : Ryzen 7 5800H
driver version that found problem : adrenaline 23.9.2 & 23.9.3 

at last I have rollbacked to march 2023 version (delete amd adrenaline)
and didn't see freezing anymore 

pls fix it 
thanks

0 Likes

Hi i own a AN515-45 laptop which comes with 5800H + RTX 3060 facing the same issue of major lockups and full windows just freezing with only solution being force reboot. Last table driver is 23.9.1 where I haven't encountered a crash or freeze.

Some people seem to inform 23.10.1 is working for them but that driver version does not support 5800H APU yet (driver informs of incompatibility)

Hope AMD update the driver to fix this issue in minor 

For the 5800H, if it were me, I would run 23.8.2, until there is a release for that APU.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Edited. Looked up the wrong drivers.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Any particular reason to go to 23.8.2 ?

For me the latest one does show 23.9.3 but I vaguely remember my system locking up a lot a couple of months ago which is around 23.9.2 (which is there on the support  page) and 23.9.3 which is only visible to upgrade to via the auto driver detection tool and the from within the driver itself.

0 Likes
ronaldts5
Adept I

I have the same issue with 23.9.2 and the new 23.9.3, the problem is that you can disable all hardware acceleration on all program like Brave, Chrome etc, but I was playing fortnite with 23.9.3 and the game freezes at times for like 5 seconds, it is annoying and I had to put the 23.9.1 that doesnt have these issues. But the problem with this driver version (23.9.1) is that the games look softer than the 23.9.2 or 23.9.3 and I can't see GPU temp stats in the MSI afterburner as I can't use the newer driver...

0 Likes

Regarding the games freezing for a couple of seconds, have you tried resetting the shader cache in the Adrenalin control panel after each driver update?  Read somewhere this may help for some games.

0 Likes

Thank you for the info, that 23.9.3 have same issues. I've got problems with 23.9.2, waiting for new version revert back to 23.9.1. Still waiting.

0 Likes
Coffey
Adept I

I thought my hardware was failing because my entire PC froze up. Had to shut my PC off via power button and was troubleshooting for an hour. 

Unacceptable quality control!!! 

Yeah same i was like is this virus and it was drivers my god 

0 Likes
MarekVys
Adept I

Same problem here. Freezing, Lock Ups and Black Screens when browsing and watching videos after update on 23.9.2 and 23.9.3. I dont do games much so I  experienced problems only in Google Chrome watching videos. I only played a few hours of Baldurs Gate 3 without any problem..  

I dont feel like rolling back drivers for now.. so I am going with disabling hardware acceleration in Google Chrome and surfing and video watching is OK again. 

I hope new drivers will fix it soon..

MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK / Soasonic Focus GX750 Gold / AMD ryzen 5 5600X / MSI RX 6800 Gaming X Trio 16G / Win10
0 Likes
djasthma
Adept III

This thread might get closed in the future by AMD as they are consolidating the issues into one thread as seen below (happened to my post). You can keep updated on the issue here as well. 

Browser Freezing, Lock Ups and Black Screens when ... - AMD Community

0 Likes
ghomer
Adept I

same issue, same driver, 5950, 64gb ram, 6950xt. locks up chrome browsers AND DISCORD if youtube is opened, or if an imbedded youtube video is there.

all windows updates current, all drivers current, temps are excellent (sits near air-conditioner)

there is no reason for hardware of this performance level to lag out on a BROWSER to the point of basically crashing the entire system.

0 Likes
DipakJ27
Adept III

In the meantime, there are a few things you can try to work around the problem:

1. Roll back to the previous version of the drivers.
  2. This can be done by using a tool like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU).
  3. Try using a different browser. Some users have reported that they are able to avoid the problem by using a different browser, such as Chrome or Edge.
  4. Disable hardware acceleration in your browser. This can be done in the browser's settings.
  5. Update your BIOS.
  6. A recent BIOS update may include a fix for this issue.

If you are still having problems, you can try reporting the issue to AMD so that they can prioritize fixing it.

Additional unique suggestion:

You could try using a different video player. Some users have reported that they are able to avoid the problem by using a different video player, such as VLC Media Player.

I hope this helps!

Dipakjadhav
0 Likes
GrimBoy
Journeyman III

With drivers 23.9.2 and 23.9.3 the PC freezes while I browse the internet, for example YouTube. I have tried reinstalling by removing the previous drivers with the cleaning tool, cleaning cookies, temporary files, etc. This problem does not occur to me with 23.9.1. I have tried playing right after installing the new drivers (Starfield and Apex Legends) and I have no problems, as soon as I open YouTube it freezes after 2 minutes. I also heard that disabling hardware acceleration fixes it, but I'm already waiting for the next ones, I'm too lazy to install them again and have them fail again.

0 Likes
newby
Adept I

This may not work for everyone but I no longer get browser flashes or youtube freezes.

newby_0-1696156430229.png

this works or just turn off freesync or g sync that also fix but better is just to go for 23.9.1 

Candyupx
Journeyman III

had the same problem here with a brand new 6700xt

using the DDU software and installing driver automatically with WINDOWS resolved this problem, but ive read rolling back to 23.9.1 version works so i'm gonna try because its always great to have the adrenalin software for its features

0 Likes
razza187
Journeyman III

Yep, I had the same issue too on both 23.9.2 and 23.9.3. Running a 6750 XT.

Strangely, the freezing and lock-ups have disappeared for the last three days *touch wood*. I didn't change anything. EDIT: You won't believe it but I spoke too soon. Alt+tabbed and got some freezing.

Also getting a "Default performance tuning settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure" notification upon boot up/reboot as reported about here:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-radeon-23-9-2-and-23-9-3-overclock-settings-restor...

0 Likes
InFeRnO-1982
Adept I

Same Problem with a 6950XT & 5800X Updated from 23.9.1 to 23.9.3 an getting freezes. Sometimes its trying tro work but then freezes again.

0 Likes
Adryax
Journeyman III

Same problem/bug with 6700xt, I will return the graphics card and go back to Nvidia, I don't want to have more problems because of a company that doesn't know how to make drivers.

0 Likes
Miguex
Adept I

Same problem here on RX 6600. Reverting to 23.9.1 fixed the issue. It was getting really annoying, making my pc unsuable, thank you so much.

0 Likes
idiocracy
Adept II

I have similar issues with a 6900XT

0 Likes
Vini182
Adept II

Same here with 6650XT

0 Likes
killercutz
Journeyman III

Hi, I was having something kinda the same issue. i have a gysnc/freesync monitor. i turned off freesync on my monitor and the freezing up went away. 23.9.2 is definately a bad driver. everything was working fine till i updated it.

0 Likes
sebastianer
Adept I

I updated to 23.9.2 when it got released like almost 2 weeks ago. That day played Warzone without issues. Next day I went to the office (so haven't used my PC for work). On Friday I started using the PC for work and got like 2 or 3 strong freezes where I had to press the reset button to get out of them. 

Since the AMD driver was the only thing I recently changed I uninstalled using some AMD tool in safe mode, then installed back 23.9.1 and executed the option to reset all the settings inside the AMD control panel. 

Haven't had the issue since then, but I'm scared to update to 23.9.3 and find the same freeze issue. 

Note: I haven't got remarkable GPU driver issues with the RX 6800 before this one. And this one got me scared I thought it was something wrong in the hardware (like the motherboard, ram, SSD, etc, was malfunctioning because of the freezes). 

Note2: offtopic There is a (minor) issue I've been experiencing for a long time with Microsoft Excel where sometimes after some ALT+TABS the spreadsheet doesn't render and appears blank, not sure if it's GPU related. But looks like is hardware acceleration related. 

0 Likes

there is something up with the hardware acceleration in general, so you will find the same freezing using 23.9.3 (tried it myself, and i am sure you would see in the thread others have too). So for stability stake, 23.9.1 is the go-to driver until they release something else which should be this week for game ready ad windows update drivers, so fingers crossed. I know as soon as they drop, i shall try them out and profide some feedback (only issue sometimes the issue might take over 24 hours to reappear, but we shall cross that bridge when we get there

Yeah. In my case I didn't have to wait that long. In just 20-60 minutes I was getting the issue. But I had lot of apps opened (Chrome, Chrome beta, Microsoft Teams, Outlook, Excel, Word and a separate VMWare virtual machine running a separate W11 instance). 

Issue was happening generally after taking a screenshot (with the snipping tool) and pasting it into Outlook. Or maybe while screensharing with MS Teams. But not every screenshot was causing the issue so it was still hard to replicate. 

0 Likes
lavisa
Adept I

This seems to be a common issue. Downgrading to 23.9.1 should help.

woodyhxc
Adept I

Just to add extra info to reports about freezing when hardware acceleration is involved, new Windows Updates aren't an issue because I have them on PAUSE for last 4-5months. So as the people above mentioned issue is with drivers included in 23.9.2 and 23.9.3 of Adrenaline Software and from what I see it affects RX 6000 series of GPUs, haven't seen anyone mention RX 7000 series here or outside this forum when this problem is brought up.

Yep... same issue here, browser freezing ( Edge). I have reverted back to 23.9.1 which doesn't show this issue.

I'm currently on a 6800XT.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

It happened. I had what I hope was an unrelated issue and reinstalled Windows. When I did this I reinstalled 23.9.3 and I experienced a ton of freezing. I then used DDU, blocked Windows Driver Updates, disabled MPO and installed 23.9.2. This fixed the issue for me. This is the first time since Lost Ark's Steam launch, that actually required me to use DDU. 

0 Likes
Obt1
Adept I

Same problem here 23.9.3

How can?!

0 Likes
Obt1
Adept I

Turning off VRR/Freesync in Adrenaline settings and all problems disapeared

0 Likes
pageup
Adept I

I am experiencing the same on a completely new PC.

1. GPU - ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6600 8GB GDDR6 .
  2. PSU - Antec ATOM-G650 
  3. MB - Asus PRIME B650M-A WIFI II

BIOS and Drivers fully updated (23.9.3 Drivers).

• Chrome is the worse.. complete freeze - the only escape is WinKey + D (to minimize all apps) and then kill it (Chrome) from the task manager.
  • Firefox manageable - unfreezing over 5 - 10 seconds.

The issue is occurring more often when or after watching a YouTube video for some time on full screen mode and then exiting.

In Chrome it also happens on website with "extensive" graphics.. for example when surfing to midjourney.com (for example) or when staying for a while on Aliexpress.com..

Support not giving real solutions - just the regular stuff - remove drivers with AMD cleanup tool > and then do a clean reboot (removing services and startup programs) followed by a fresh install of the latest drivers.

it didn't help me.. Please DO NOT CLOSE THIS POST !!

Sledgehammer
Journeyman III

Hello everyone.

I have the same issue with the latest drivers. Fixed it the lamest way possible - uninstalled the Adrenalin Files, rebooted, let Windows install drivers only and now everything is fine. Have not tried anything else. Will wait for a newer Driver. Good luck to all!

djasthma
Adept III

have an update for everyone here, i am trying the latest preview driver for rdna 2 (rx6000) which brings fluid motion frames. I shall let everyone here know if it has the same issues as 23.9.2 and 23.9.3.

AMD enables Fluid Motion Frames support for Radeon RX 6000 series - VideoCardz.com