cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Pekuin4k
Journeyman III

Black screen in windows 11

It started two days ago I believe, I was playing a game and when I was done I restarted my laptop. After it booted to windows there was nothing on screen, Primary display was just black, and the tv I had my laptop connected to didn't seem to have any signal from the laptop. I booted into safe mode (with networking) to uninstall the last driver and to download the latest driver for my system. After rebooting again, I went to install the driver and as soon as it finished (I believe) the screen kinda just went back to black. So I dunno what to do really. The only way I can get anything on screen to show is by using Microsoft's basic display adapter driver.

System is a ''Hp Notebook G7 255''

Ryzen 3200u with Vega 3 graphics. 2 4gb sticks at 3200mhz

Just the average AMD fan
0 Likes
4 Replies
Pekuin4k
Journeyman III

So i did a clean install of win10, installed drivers from amd's site, same issue. I checked device manger after booting back into normal and checked the events and it gives the following:
-------------

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_15D8&SUBSYS_85EA103C&REV_C4\4&35feb52a&0&0041 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem38.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amdwddmg
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5
----------------------
Im guessing somethings either preventing it from starting, or it could be dead, and I'm really hoping it isn't the latter.
Gonna check up on the status codes and i will try to follow up with it

Just the average AMD fan
0 Likes

So i decided to track where this issue was coming from, went to 
C:\AMD\AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-22.9.2-Win10-Win11-Sep27\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\
and found this inf file

Pekuin4k_0-1689725219768.png

I opened it in notepad and searched for amdwddmg, and found a reg entry here

Pekuin4k_1-1689725268776.png

i don't wanna touch anything here without any help since, I'm not entirely familiar with reg entries, and things relating to this, so i wanted to ask about what some of these do, and if it's a possible i can make changes here to potentially fix my problem. (Mind you, I'm back on win 10 now, AND this is a really old driver from 2022, which i tried only because i wanted to see if downgrading would help at all)

SMALL EDIT BECAUSE I FORGOT TO MENTION:
That error code i gave in the last reply apparently means some application didn't start, or the service, so i guess i need to find what it's linked to directly maybe?

Just the average AMD fan
0 Likes

I don't know why I didn't check but under the amdwddmg folder in registry but, there are three subfolders, ENUM, Parameters, and Video

This is under Enum

Pekuin4k_0-1689728030734.png

----
This is under Parameters

Pekuin4k_1-1689728061166.png

----
and this is under Video

Pekuin4k_2-1689728122304.png

--
I'm unsure if these are that important, aside from video and parameters maybe, but leaving these here anyway.

Just the average AMD fan
0 Likes
Pekuin4k
Journeyman III

Pekuin4k_0-1690077611731.png

So the error went away, but when i enabled the enabled the gpu and restarted, i got the black screen again. 
Is there any other problems that could cause it? Or could the igpu just be dead for me?

Just the average AMD fan
0 Likes