cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ssiman
Adept I

Black Screen after driver installation

Hi, (sorry for my broken English in advance)

My PC was running fine for 2 month, and today, when I tried to boot it, I got a black screen instead of Windows Login screen. I tried to restart it multiple times with no success. I thought that I have a problem with Windows (10), so I tried Windows troubleshooting with no success. After that, I decided to reinstall Windows to fix it so I installed Windows 11 and after I've completed the installation (with updates) I've started to install drivers back. 

During the installation of the GPU driver (Adrenalin 21.10.2 Recommended (WHQL)) the black screen happened again and it never recovered. Once I realized the problem comes from the GPU driver, I booted in Safe Mode, uninstalled the driver and rebooted the machine. Without the driver the black screen was gone and the Windows is looking fine.

I tried to install an older version of the driver: Adrenalin 21.10.1 Optional, same result, immediately after the installation I get a black screen and I never get the image back again, doesn't matter how many times I reboot the machine.

Can you help me with this issue? I don't know what should I do next

GPU: AMD RX 6600 XT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

MB: Asrock b450 pro4

1 Solution
ssiman
Adept I

I know this sounds weird, but I closed the PC last night because I was tired of this problem. I wanted to try some workarounds today that I've read on this forum, and when I started the PC, it worked without any problem.... So... I guess it fixed itself? Maybe the problem will come back later, we will see...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
26 Replies

Well, I have the same problem on Windows 10, but if you're right, then why AMD offers Windows 11 drivers for me to download?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6600-series/amd-radeon-rx-...

0 Likes

"Windows 11 is not yet compatible with the AMD software, that will probably take a while. only helps to use Windows 10."

-- a stupid thing to  say.

Check in Device Manager for yellow error marks. Clean install the correct driver...after removing old drivers using DDU in safe mode.

0 Likes
saeros
Adept I

did you find any solution? I have a similar problem but no one has given me an answer, in my case every so often my screen freezes and goes black, forcing me to restart the pc

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the screen goes black and you have to restart it is mostly a Wattman error. It then says the default setting will be restored / reset. In my opinion, this means that the Radeon graphics driver actively intervenes in the settings while playing, until Oops. Some programs and graphics machines of the games cannot handle it. I use the MSI Afterburner where you can create 5 graphic profiles and force a constant voltage in the settings. In the GPU-Z button lookup you can view your manufacturer-specific graphics card data and create profiles accordingly. You can then test with FurMark. If the core clock is reduced, the core voltage is also adjusted. For example with my RX5700XT I reduced KT from 2100 to 1350 and KV from 1184 to 1100 with Cyberpunk 2077 and only then does this game run without a crash, but Doom Eternal runs without any problems with the standard setting. This is completely sufficient for my 14 year old HP w2207h 60 Hz screen 1680: 1050 with over 60 FPS.

0 Likes

I understand, but I think your problem is a bit different. I wasn't playing any game, just installing the driver, in fact, the GPU load was so low that the GPU fan wasn't even running, the GPU tempreture was probably somewhere around 30 degrees Celcius. And rebooting the system won't fix the problem.

But so far, everything is good, I haven't seen the problem in a week, I hope it won't come back. 

0 Likes

I have experienced black screen too during Adrenalin 21.10.2 Recommended (WHQL) installation with no recovery option very recently with brand new assembled computer (intergraded graphics) and fresh copy of windows. I had to jump into safe mode to DDU the AMD drivers and get back to Microsoft basic video adapter to have signal to my monitor. But this issue came from HDMI cable. I change my HDMI cable with another one and the Adrenalin 21.10.2 Recommended (WHQL) installation completed with no issues. I guess with the old HDMI the drivers completed the installation as well and all was fine but for some reason that i don't understand HDMI cable wasn't able to send signal to my screen. Weird enought?

This is it! I tried a new HDMI cable and it worked! Thank you Kostas1983!! 

ssiman
Adept I

I know this sounds weird, but I closed the PC last night because I was tired of this problem. I wanted to try some workarounds today that I've read on this forum, and when I started the PC, it worked without any problem.... So... I guess it fixed itself? Maybe the problem will come back later, we will see...

0 Likes

Hi ssiman,

Can you please check the Driver version for the gfx card showing in device manager.

I'm still having same issue and running my windows with Microsoft Basic Display card driver.

PLease help.

0 Likes

Do you have your hdmi plugged into your motherboard or your GPU? The Microsoft display works when plugged into your motherboard. Once you download the driver, make sure it’s plugged into your gpu.

0 Likes
Aqeeb_Rehman
Journeyman III

Ay bro I am having the same problem can you give some tips?

0 Likes

Im having the same problem idk how to fix it if anyone know how to fix it replay

0 Likes

Hey, I had the exact same issue. Seeing the replies above. I might have a shortcut that worked for me. I shut off my computer. And then shut off my PC using the power switch at the back of the pc 

0 Likes
Aqeeb_Rehman
Journeyman III

Just as the one who asked said it got solved on it's own is true. I was having the same problem, tried every method that was on yt nothing helped so in the end i just started using Microsoft basic display adapter. After sometime (days or weeks) I tried to install the drivers back and they WORKED!!. So if you are going through the same problem and nothing is working for you just have patience.

0 Likes
Neroo-Z
Journeyman III

Hi, I have the same problem, the screen stays black because of the drivers. Uninstalling them returns to normal, but the pc is useless without the drivers. The cause I think is 'advanced micro devices - Display' because when installed or updated via Windows update the screen turns black.

I tried reinstalling Windows, deleting drivers and downloading manually and automatically and nothing worked.

Any solution?

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Likes

If you haven’t solved it already try a new HDMI or DVI or whatever cable you’re using. I swapped my HDMI and it worked. 

0 Likes

I don't know if you're having the same problem as i am, but wat fixed it for me was activating the XMP profile on the BIOS settings. Hope it works for you too.

0 Likes
Carterhcole
Journeyman III

I spent a whole day trouble shooting the fact that I could boot in safe mode but not boot normally. Changing my HDMI cable fixed everything. Thank you for figuring out the most unintuitive solution to a stupid provlem!

0 Likes
mysteltiann
Journeyman III

I am having very similar to the OP problem and others. The system is also similar (Ryzen 5 3600 + XFX Qick 308 RX 6600 RT + MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX, running on Win10)

However, one thing that seems to be different is that I am having trouble booting into safe mode because the screen goes dark right after BIOS. Other stuff are identical: black screen exactly when driver being installed, turn back on once removed in safe mode (I had to switch back to my old GTX960 to get back to safe mode).

I have been attempting to make it work and I almost got it one time which I would like to share here in case someone also encountering similar problem. The sequence I got to work is

• Boot to safe mode
  • Uninstall all drivers using DDU
  • Shutdown switching cards from GTX960 to 6600XT
  • Boot up normal mode, let Win10 auto install driver.
  • And it suddenly works (to my surprise, I did not intend for the auto install)
  • Updated to driver to the latest version with official installer.
  • Restart. Display still fine.
  • Shutdown. Properly screwed the bolts + closed the PC case.
  • Anddd it's gone.

I still left updating the chipset driver that I need to try. I already flash motherboard BIOS and repeat the uninstall+reinstall driver with no success. I already read few above comments on HDMI cable and XMP. Will try that and update soon.

0 Likes

Hello. Did you tried switch the cable? It works?.

0 Likes
msalmankhan17
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. I bought a 6800 XT brand new out of the box. It worked fine. After 1 month it started giving no display problem. I get display during bios, but as soon as windows login screen arrives the screen goes black. I've tried changing HDMI Cables, changing monitor but nothing. I took the card to a repair shop but when the guy put it in his setup it worked fine. Some said it's due to microsoft auto installing the drivers, so I turned it off from everywhere. When I swap in my old RX 580 it works fine. And my 6800xt also worked fine once when I turned off my PSU and turned it back on while troubleshooting but that was it! 

So now, I installed anydesk on my PC to get display on my phone (as I get no display on my monitor) and saw that launching AMD software gives me a PA 300 error. I tried running the AMD Software compatilbity tool but no luck! And my PC runs fine and I get display in safeboot on Microsoft adapter. The issue comes during installation of drivers. Anyone else find a fix to this issue?

0 Likes

Still no luck. My RX 580 4GB works fine but not my 6800 XT. I've tried changing HDMI Cables, tried different monitors, tried using AMD uninstaller, reset my Bios, clearing my CMOS Battery bios, every fix possible , I have tried but I still get no display/ no signal on my setup. Please help me out here! My gpu is also not old and its condition is 10/10 as I bought it box packed.... And it's almost new.... 

0 Likes

Do you have your hdmi plugged into your motherboard or your GPU? The Microsoft display works when plugged into your motherboard. Once you download the driver, make sure it’s plugged into your gpu.

0 Likes
acetheskull
Journeyman III

Guys I solved it by simply switching the ends of the HDMI cable, the one that was in the PC plugged it the monitor and the end that was in the monitor plugged into the PC.
This is really weird because I tried two different HDMI cables and they didn't work, but apparently the way you plugged them mattered somehow?
Just typing this out in case it helps someone else.

0 Likes