cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BIOS blackscreem

Ok im not sure if its the gpu or the motherboard but might be gpu related and im out of luck so im gonna ask anyway.

PC specification:

CPU: Ryzen r5 5600

GPU: rx 7600

Motherboard: MSI A PRO 550B

RAM: KingstonFury (2x16GB) 3200KF432C16BB1K2/32

What i did:

Motherboard bios update before assembling the parts. (No issue)

After win 10 installation and update. Downloaded AMD Ryzen master AMD Adrenalin driver

Note: I didnt changed anysetting in these programs nor in the BIOS. (Except only the fan speed in the bios)

After instalations i restarted the PC and the problem occured.

The problem:

When i try to enter in to the BIOS it probably does but i only see a black screen and cant do anything and im forced to restart with power button or with ctrl+alt+del.

What i tried:

Turning off fast start.

Trying to get in to BIOS automaticly after restart. (SHIFT+RESTART>Troubleshoot>Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings)

Before the updates i was able to enter into the BIOS.

I would appreciate some advice. What should i do?

0 Likes
30 Replies

Addational information I tried to resset by removeing the battery but only thing it did is changed back the system fans rpm. The problem remains. 

0 Likes
kchalupa
Journeyman III

Hello,

Does everything work well when you are in Windows, try running some Benchmarks and see if you run into any issues. BIOS usually pushes the fans, maybe it's a strain on the PSU? Let me know if you see anything.

-K

0 Likes

So far what I have tried:

Checked the rams one by one. Even removed ssd to force it to boot the bios. Still black screen. I have seen similar problems and what I plan to try is swiching to different port. I will need to buy an adapter so it will take time to try it but I think it has fair chance to fix it. Even tho I wonder why would the amd drivers do such a thing like this.

If it doesn't work I might try with my old psu but they are basicly the same model (Evga GQ 650 gold,  although the old one is 5 year+ old. ) and I kinda doubt its the problem because like I said i could start windows so the VGA works and it has enough power. So I wonder running the bios why would require more W. 

0 Likes

Hey, try running memtest86 to see if everything is good there. Can you run any games, does anything appear on the screen? I checked the specs for the RX 7600 and the minimum is 550W that's pretty close. I looked up your motherboard's specs and it says that there is a HDMI port on there. Can you try plugging into that and see if the black screen goes away?

I found a post on another forum that may help you, give it a read: https://superuser.com/questions/1337162/screen-goes-black-after-trying-to-access-bios-setup

RX 7600 Specs: https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-7600

0 Likes

I will try the test.

Didnt try to play any game yet but I migth try. 

• Honestly you made me wonder about my psu. I use 4 120mm system fans and 2 120mm CPU fans wich can take around 30-60w? Might have psu issue? Should I change it? 

0 Likes

Can you borrow one from a friend or another computer to check it out? I remember on the server I was playing with, when you go into the BIOS it sounded like a jet engine ready to take off. Something about the BIOS does that. I would try playing some highly demanding games on it to try it out or run some benchmarks. Can you take out the GPU and try getting into the BIOS?

0 Likes

I bought an adapter HDMI female, display port male and I was able to enter bios with the first one on the left. But then when I left the bios I had windows black screen.

I tried the other ports and couldnt see the bios. I tried again the one wich worked and now black screen bios that too.

Also tried mb HDMI and display port still black screen. 

I doubt its because of strain on PSU because the fans just as fast in windows. 

0 Likes
432hz
Adept II

Something similar just happened to me due to Windows Safe Mode incompatibility with HDMI. I had to use a DisplayPort cable and was then able to access the BIOS and Windows normally and exit Safe Mode.

You can try the following:

Option 1 - Try the DisplayPort and the HDMI port on your motherboard. Sometimes BIOS will only output to 1 specific port.

Option 2 - Try the DisplayPort and the HDMI on your GPU. Sometimes BIOS will only output to 1 specific port.

Option 3 - If you used Safe Mode or think you might have, try a DisplayPort cable. There are many articles about different ways to exit Safe Mode you can Google if your PC is "stuck" in Safe Mode like mine was.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes

I bought an adapter HDMI female, display port male and I was able to enter bios with the first one on the left. But then when I left the bios I had windows black screen.

I tried the other ports and couldnt see the bios. I tried again the one wich worked and now black screen bios that too.

0 Likes

It might be something to do windows but not sure because I tried "shift+ restart, trouble shoot, windows reinstal" and then I had a black screen. 

0 Likes

Also what I tried since yesterday is doing bios flashback again. Could see bios and windows log screen but my pin was no longer because "security changes" aviable I tried to trouble shoot it but couldnt acces cmd. In the end I reinstald windows with the drivers and the problem occured again.
To be honest at this point I consider dissaseble the PC and sending back the parts.

0 Likes

This is definitely a tricky issue. I'm wondering, do you have any parts you can swap out (CPU, RAM, motherboard, etc) that you can troubleshoot? You may need to contact your motherboard's manufacturer to see if they can give you advice. 

0 Likes

Hey Steve,
That is good progress.

I'd recommend trying the following:

1. Use a DisplayPort cable in the port you know works properly
  2. Fresh install of Windows (fully wipe your drive and reinstall Windows).
  3. Perform all the required Windows Updates. Windows should automatically install a generic version of AMD GPU drivers that allows your GPU to have basic functionality.
  4. Download and install the drivers for your motherboard from your motherboard's website (chipset, etc)
  5. Download an older version of RX 7600 drivers from AMD, but do not install yet. Be sure to select the correct one for your version of Windows. Try 23.12.1 from this page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-7000-series/amd-radeon-rx-760...
  6. Download AMD Cleanup Utility from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601
  7. Install the latest non-beta BIOS for your motherboard again.
  8. Boot into Windows.
  9. Disable Windows Update (pause for 7 days, etc).
  10. Reboot into Windows Safe Mode
  11. In Safe Mode, uninstall the Windows GPU drivers that were automatically installed during Windows Update for your 7600.
  12. In Safe Mode, run AMD Cleanup Utility to uninstall any remnants of old AMD drivers, etc.
  13. Reboot into Windows (exits Safe Mode).
  14. Reboot into Safe Mode again.
  15. In Safe Mode, optionally install your motherboard's chipset drivers again.
  16. In Safe Mode, install the older version of the RX 7600 drivers (e.g. 23.12.1).
  17. Reboot into Windows.

I suspect it could be a driver issue. I had similar issues over the past week related to Resizable BAR. Strangely, there appeared to be a connection between the GPU drivers installed in Windows that also somehow affected the BIOS (intermittent degraded / laggy performance in the BIOS menus).

If you continue to have issues on 23.12.1, you may want to try disabling Resizable BAR in your BIOS. Depending on your results, you can try doing this before or after installing the AMD drivers.

Separately, after installing Adrenalin 24.3.1 my GPU fans were stuck at 100% at all times, even in BIOS. I uninstalled 24.3.1 and installed 24.2.1 and regained stability. I also had stability on 23.12.1.

0 Likes

Ok I tried. A lot...Here is what happend. I re installed windows. I did update it. 

Installed mb chipset. 

Downdloaded amd clean up. 

Downloaded the Older rx7600 driver. 

BIOS flashback. Not the latest version. 

After loged in with a New pin. I dissabled win updates. 

Tried to enter safe mode black screen. Couldnt fix. So I Did everything up this point and I used amd clean up. Now I Can see the Bios and windows too.

Installed Rx 7600 Older driver what you said.

And now im stuck. Because after the instalstion BIOS black screen again. 

After used amd clean up I Can see bios again....So basicly problem has something to do with the driver. No idea what to do.

0 Likes

Actually after the second restart. I can't see the bios anymore. What I will try is to enter safe mode after the amd clean up. It might work that way. 

0 Likes

Might have bricked the motherboard or idk. Did everything until amd clean up but exidently clicked to do it in safe mod. Ok cozldnt leave safe mode so bios flashback again but this Time black screen bios and windows too. Cant do anything. Maybe stuck in safe mode still but before bios flashback fixed it. Tried cmos resset. Other ports. Still nothing. Now at this point i decided to dissasemble the parts and sendback the motherboard and the gpu tomorrow. Something is not right. I will try some other ideas until then but it might be better if I just try another mb and gpu combo. 

What im afraid of its a mb or gpu deffect what I Can't fix. Tomorrow is the last chance to send it back so I might do it. 

0 Likes

Ok as a last Resort I tested the mb with my old gpu. Radeon r7. It works I Can see bios, safe mode, windows. So it might be a compatibility issue with the Rx 7600. Or gpu deffect. Alrhough its a brand new sapphire pulse so I kinda doubt but who knows.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

I think the safe bet is to send it back, however, if you want to give it one last try, I recall reading about CSM and/or Secure Boot sometimes causing black screen BIOS, especially in combination with Win11. I think it's unlikely that your motherboard shipped with CSM enabled by default, but if you want you can try:

1. CMOS reset
  2. In BIOS, see if CSM is enabled. If it is enabled, proceed to #3.
  3. If CSM is enabled, disable CSM (this is a legacy BIOS / boot setting. UEFI is the new common standard).
  4. In BIOS, disable Secure Boot, Resizable BAR, Above 4G Decoding (your board might not have Resizable BAR and Above 4G Decoding).
  5. I believe you will have to clean install Windows if CSM was enabled when you installed it last time.

By the way, I'd recommend trying Windows 10, as I think there are some extra requirements (possibly Secure Boot) for Windows 11. Please feel free to research CSM, Secure Boot, and fTPM, as I'm not an expert on these.

You can also try Linux to rule out the GPU hardware issue.

0 Likes

I decided to give it another shot. The that my old gpu works fine in there means the mb is working as it should. The problem must be related to gpu, windows, or drivers. At least like this I can acces bios and safe mode if I need to. 

I might redo everything and try to delete drivers in safe mode using my old gpu. 

Also cuality cable will arrive today. I will give it a try with that. Maybe its a cable issue. 

Another thing I will try to do is checking if gpu works in my old PC. 

Btw im using win10. 

0 Likes

Sounds good. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

0 Likes

Im loosing my mind. No idea what I did but it looks like it worked.

Note did wariations but this is my recent try. Also tried to use my old gpu to delete and instal stuff, didnt work. (Or did, idk)

Here is what I did biosflashback. With 7C56vAF 2023.10.12.

I did changed ram speed to 3200hz. If I think about it I might have forgot to do it at some of my reinstalations. Idk. At least I Did it now.

Win10 fresh instal with brand new USB pendrive. Instaler created by different PC.

During instalation I used a new cable. (What by the way didnt fix the problem previously by itself.)

Chipset driver instal.

Rx 7600 newest driver instal.

I did many PC restart and looks like I can see the bios and windows too. At least for now. I will do some benchmarks and test it with some games just to be sure.

I will share latter on what happend.

Right now I have no idea if its permanent or not because once I jinxed it. I cant belive its fixed. Probably in the next days I will share what happend. 

0 Likes

That's great! I hope it continues to work.

The RAM should be the most stable stock, but if it's working with XMP / EXPO enabled at 3200, I'd say stick with that.

Perhaps the USB stick originally used was formatted in MBR rather than GPT. I recall this possibly making a difference in the Windows installation process (MBR forcing CSM mode, while GPT allows UEFI mode).

I guess it could've also been the cable(s). There are different ratings and generations of HDMI and DisplayPort cables and different compatibilities with monitors.

One other possibility that came to mind is sometimes motherboard BIOS require a specific previous version to be installed first before a more recent version can be installed properly.

Just one more thing to check / confirm.

Update:

I Did some benchmarks, played a couple of hour and my PC entered sleep mode by the time I came back.  When tried to wake it up my monitor showed no signal. No reaction to mouse or keyboard. Ok I turned it off with power button. Restart. 

My monitor say "check signal cable". I tried every port, nothing. Even with old HDMI. I restarted many times nothing. 

Might be a monitor issue? No idea at this point. Or might be psu? I might try it with my old psu just to be sure. 

Note. : Games and benchmarks did run without a noticable problem. 

0 Likes

2. Update. : I used my old evga GQ 650 everything is the same.

0 Likes

Btw im using right now a S24D330H monitor. Can that be an issue? 

0 Likes
432hz
Adept II

The monitor is likely not the issue. There seems to be an issue with power states, which is controlled by the motherboard.

For AMD CPUs, I read you should download the latest chipset drivers from AMD rather than your motherboard's website for the best compatibility.

I see you flashed an old version of your motherboard BIOS. On this page, there is version 7C56vAH from 2024-03-19. I would confirm that is the correct page for your motherboard and try installing that BIOS.

So to summarize, I suggest the following:

1. Use the cable / port you know works consistently.
  2. Remove and reinsert the RAM to make sure it is fully seated properly -- sometimes this can cause strange issues.
  3. Install latest chipset drivers from AMD and see if it works
  4. Install latest motherboard BIOS and see if it works

0 Likes

Bought a new monitor conected with DP-DP cable. It works it recives signal unlike the other. Im so mad it might have been the monitor from the very begining. I will test it and update the post if its fine. 

Glad to hear it's working!

Perhaps it was a DP => HDMI adapter issue, cable issue, DP/HDMI version issue, or some combination of all. Given the intermittent behavior throughout this process, it would be surprising to me if the monitor was the issue, but if it works, it works and that's great.

Once you sort out the testing, I would still recommend trying out the latest mobo BIOS and chipset drivers from AMD.

0 Likes
432hz
Adept II

Sleep-mode related issues outlined here: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/monitor-fails-to-resume-from-sleep-s3-mode-with-23-2-2...

0 Likes