cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

temurzyn
Adept II

Anisotropic filtering under Adrenalin 2020

Under new driver forcing AF seems not working at all. Even in case of DX9 games (tried to set it for Oblivion).

Cant revert to older driver because there is none (5600xt here).

What to do?

49 Replies
ellolait
Adept II

На данный момент есть 4 драйвера для 5600, прямо под выбором операционной системы есть кнопка, предыдущие драйверы и старые драйверы pastedImage_1.png

temurzyn
Adept II

I tried all the drivers with no success. The "2020" drivers are just broken completely. Now I also have problems running some older games.

0 Likes
lcountach
Adept I

I have a similar problem with my 5700 XT. Neither the Anisotropic filtering nor the Anti-Aliasing overrides work in DX9 games. I first noticed the problem when playing Skyrim VR. When I upgraded from a Geforce 1060 to a Radeon 5700 XT. I immediately noticed the roads in Skyrim VR were blurry. With my old Geforce 1060, I always had 16X Anisotropic filtering Globally forced on. So, I went into the Radeon software and forced it on. It didn't work. Then I tried several other DX9, DX11, and DX12 games. The only game I ever got to respond to the overrides was Serious Sam Fusion in DX11 mode.

Unlike your 5600 XT. I have a 5700 XT. So I started back with driver version 19.10.1. No driver version I have tried works. The features do seem broken.

johnhardyiv
Adept III

I see this on my 5600XT as well; and the failure to force AA on DirectX games, or it shows graphic corruption/artifacts in some old games like Links 2003 and Visual Pinball X.

20.2.2 didn't address it.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the post, i will file a ticket for this issue. 

Does it happen in any other DX9 titles or just Oblivion? If you could provide the names of a few more games that would help. 

0 Likes

Amdmatt: Here's a couple more, Links 2003 and Visual Pinball X. Note the artifacts on golfer and on pinball flippers and lanes circled in red.

Links2k3 Bad Driver.png

Visual Pinball Corrupt Graphics 20.2.2.png

0 Likes

Is that using Anisotropic Filtering or Anti Aliasing though? If that's with AA then that is a separate issue. 

I saw your thread and am working my way towards that so i will update it in due course.

0 Likes
johnhardyiv
Adept III

I have AA and Anistropic filtering both set to override applications, figured I'd give you some datapoints as the poster lcountach above mentioned them both too.  Maybe none of the usual suspects are getting respected in DX9 games.  Good luck, thanks for jumping on the issue. Fingers crossed for 20.3.1.

0 Likes

What happens if you just use Anisotropic filtering at x16 and leave all AA settings set to default? Do you have a screenshot of what that looks like? 

The ticket i filed is on these AF settings not getting applied to DX9 titles. Corrupted and or missing textures is something different and would require a different ticket. 

0 Likes
johnhardyiv
Adept III

FWIW, same corruption w/ AA set to use application settings (supersampling chosen as method though) and AF set to 16. Note that Links2k3 didn't have individual settings for AA or AF in its graphic options, it's all coming from Adrenaline. Apologies for sidetracking the thread.

Links 2k3 no AA override and AF set to 16.png

0 Likes

Is there any change is supersampling if left at the default setting rather than set as the chosen method?

0 Likes

There is no change, corruption remains I tried multisampling and adaptive multisampling.

It also doesn't make a difference if you choose 'Enhance application settings'.

0 Likes
5700xt
Adept II

Same problem with 5700xt and DX9 Trainsimulator Zusi (www.zusi.de): Change the Anti-Aliasing to Supersampling has no effect. With every Driver since Roll-Out last year.

Supersampling works with RX580 and Vega56, but not with 5700xt.

0 Likes
lcountach
Adept I

To add to the list of games other than Oblivion. Off the top of my head. Here are some games I remember testing. Skyrim VR (I suspect is DX9), Test Drive Unlimited 1 (DX9), Serious Sam (Stand alone versions), Serious Sam Fusion, Space Engineers (DX11?), and Contagion (DX9?)

The Serious Sam games supported DX9, DX11, and DX12 depending on the version being played. The only one of that bunch where Anisotropic filtering override worked was SS Fusion in DX11 mode. I think the issue extends to more than just DX9 games.

Because Anisotropic filtering override didn't seem to work in anything. I retested several of the games to see if Anti-Aliasing override worked. After three or so games testing AA override not working. I just got frustrated with the whole mess and stopped testing. As new driver releases come out. I occasionally retest Skyrim VR or TDU to see if things are fixed. So far they are not.

temurzyn
Adept II

Anitaliasing and AF settings still dont work under new 2020.3.1 driver. Seriously, WTF AMD?

temurzyn
Adept II

Is there any hope that it will be ever fixed? Things have not changed with 2020.4.2...

lcountach
Adept I

I too hope things are fixed soon.

rainingtacco
Challenger

What is not working? Leave the option to be decided by the game and that's all. Do you try to force AF on games that don't support it? 

Not... sure what mean by "Leave the option to be decided by the game and that's all." If you mean "Is that the only option?" Then No. There is an ON/OFF switch to override whatever Anisotropic Filtering settings the game does or doesn't have. The switch simply doesn't work. Its not a matter of a game "Supporting" it or not. As far as I know. Through the drivers, all games can be forced to use Anisotropic Filtering. The last 20 years of experience using exclusively Nvidia products before getting my 5700 XT has show me all games can be forced to have AF on. From reading your wording, perhaps you are confusing "Anisotropic Filtering" with "Anti-Aliasing"? In that case, there are a small number of games that don't support it AA.

Regardless of all of that. The overrides for both AF and AA in the Radeon Drivers almost never work. This is most noticeable in older titles that dont have ingame toggles for these settings and relied on the drivers to switch the features on and off. BUT it is still an issue in some newer games where the devs neglect to add the toggles in game. This leaves the user SOL if the driver overrides don't work either. Not a nice place to be after spending hundreds on a new GPU.

Its like buying a new house and the electrician neglected to connect the light switches. You can flick them on and off all you want. Yes you are standing there in your nice new house. However, your also standing there in the dark. Not a good feeling.

AMD please fix this.

curse127
Adept III

Is it really amd still not corrected? I sent a report to amd in October ...

Now checked - not fixed.

In Life Is Strange (1 part), the inclusion of smoothing MSAA causes artifacts at the borders of the characters' bodies. Still...Безымянный1.png

Безымянный2.png

ftwd
Journeyman III

AF and AA don’t work very well in Microsoft FS2004 and FSX-SE. FS9 especially noticeable in widowed mode on Win10 RX5700xt.

I know these are old programs but are still widely used.

Please, please find a solution

temurzyn
Adept II

2020.5.1. and still not fixed.

This is ridiculous - they create a drivers with feature switches that just do not work and they not care.

My next GPU will be Nvidia.

Yea... I hate to say it but I too may switch back when the time comes. I very much dislike Nvidia because of all the anti customer actions that have taken. Especially the constant raising of prices and shifting of lower class chips to higher class names and price brackets. AMD pulled the same thing with the 5000 series but... I decided to give them a try. Unfortunately and again I hate to say it but... Nvidia's stuff usually just works.

I really don't want to go back. Its like going back in an abusive relationship. Unfortunately... AMD is like being in a relationship where your wants and needs are neglected. A case of pick your poison I guess? Such a shame!

0 Likes
johnhardyiv
Adept III

While many of the AA issues were fixed in Links 2003, anisotropic filtering is not being applied to Links 2003 when set in the game profile of Adrenaline. This remains an issue in 20.5.1.

[Bug] Graphic corruption w/ AA, and AF setting not recognized in Links 2003 w/ R5600XT & 20.5.1 ... 

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Thanks, though the issue isn't a regression w/ 20.5.1, it's existed for months now.  While at least w/ Links 2K3 with driver 20.5.1 is a giant step forward w/ fixing its graphic corruption; the lack of anisotropic filtering continues, and goes back to the first 5600XT supported driver.

FWIW - AA and anisotropic filtering work fine w/ 20.5.1 and an older R390 and RX590 card on Links 2K3, but of course we want new metal.

5700xt
Adept II

Antialiasing settings still dont work with 5700xt, DX9 and new 20.7.1. - Lets test the new Bug Reporting Tool...

0 Likes
5700xt
Adept II

Same behavior with 20.7.2...

0 Likes
tanuki88
Adept I

Same for Death Stranding - anisotropic filtering not working.

0 Likes
johnhardyiv
Adept III

The problem continues; anisotropic filtering not working in 20.8.2, Links 2003 (and anti-aliasing artifacts, fwiw). amdmatt

[Bug] Graphic corruption w/ AA, and AF setting not recognized in Links 2003 w/ R5600XT & 20.8.1 ... 

0 Likes
5700xt
Adept II

AA and AF not working in 20.8.3...

0 Likes
johnhardyiv
Adept III

Looks like same problems again in 20.9.1.

0 Likes

Use reshade in the meantime for AA. AF i don't know how to force it. Maybe try nvidia inspector? Dont know if it will work on amd gpu but its worth a try. 

0 Likes
temurzyn
Adept II

Still not fixed in 20.9.2.

5700xt
Adept II

Still not fixed in 20.10.1.

5700xt
Adept II

@AMD: Are you going to fix this someday or will the DX9 AA/AF setting never work for Navi cards?

On Non-Navi cards like RX580 or Vega56 Anisotropic filtering and Anti-aliasing works fine.

People should know this -you don't buy AMD to play old games. NVIDIA has better support in that regard. 

0 Likes

Unfortunately... I have to disagree with the "People should know this by now" statement. There is no disclaimer anywhere that says "Don't buy AMD to play old games." And the fact that it's in their character not to care does not excuse them from negligence. The product "Is" supposed to work. As a first time AMD/ATI buyer. I was totally caught off guard by their lack of interest in fixing bugs like this. Ohh, and by the way. This user manual override of AA/AF settings not working is not limited to just DX9. It just happens to manifest itself more often in DX9. I tried several DX9, DX11, and DX12 titles and only one DX11 game responded to the override. Just yesterday I ran into another DX11 title that didn't seem to work. Arizona Sunshine, it clearly seemed to be using something that looked like ancient Bilinear Filtering and not AF. I have AF forced on globally and it was obvious it wasn't working. No... I can't say they get a pass from me. But who am I? Just a lowly disappointed customer. My voice and the others in this thread don't wield enough financial impact to warrant a care from AMD.

0 Likes

Its simple -dont buy their gpu next time. I know i will never buy their gpu again, unless something drastic will happen with their approach to drivers, and different user cases support. 

0 Likes