I have a setup that I made a while ago with following components:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700G

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B550M

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 MHz CL18 - 8GB x 2

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD - 500GB

Power Supply: Gold Rated 650W Cooler Master

This system worked fine until I got a new GPU:

XFX Speedster AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT

My system runs well and gives expected performance at 1080p. But After every few hours of gameplay, or a few minutes of idle (without any games running), my pc hangs, and upon restart, shows that my GPU driver is not installed.

I have updated every driver, BIOS and it still reproduces the issue.

(I do have a non activated Windows 11, but it happened with non activated Windows 10 as well)

What might be the issue? I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

0 Likes
2 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

What do you mean by NON ACTIVATED Windows 11?

Forgive me for showing my age, but in earlier versions of Windows, you only had 3 days to activate it.  I am certain that if you are still able to run Windows 10 or 11, you will not be able to install any updates.   I was always under the impression that if you did not activate any version of Windows it would not boot.  If its not activated you may be missing a Windows update that will solve your problem.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
SchytStax
Journeyman III

I have a prebuilt windows 10 HP system with Ryzen 7 5700G. I've installed a RX 6600. Windows would often overwrite my AMD driver set with the windows update AMD drivers. It would do this randomly. Mid-game, sitting idle, browsing, what ever. I also would have stuttering issues in game if, at any point since last restart, I streamed video in a browser or watched a local video file. The stuttering would go away after a restart then playing the game without watching any videos first.

Windows update was forcing recommended driver installs for the 5700G's on board graphics. While ignoring the fact that I had an RX6600 installed. When it did this it would automatically overwrite AMD's drivers. It would resort to software rendered graphics and crash any open apps. Windows would throw all kinds of warnings to restart immediately to install the downloaded graphics drivers. After restarting I would go back to AMD's website, download and run their Auto-detect Tool. Then reinstall AMD's recommended drivers and all would go back to working until windows forced the 5700G's drivers, then rinse and repeat.

I tried disabling all windows updates of hardware drivers. I also tried a registry edit to stop windows from doing this. Nothing worked. Finally it dawned on me to disable the 5700G's on board graphics. First I tried to do this in the BIOS. However my HP does not have any GPU/APU BIOS options once a Graphics Card is detected. With you having a non proprietary MB, you most likely can disable the 5700G's on board capabilities via your BIOS. In the event you cannot, you can try disabling it via Device Manager. In windows 10 open Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Device Manager>Display Adapters> then right click "AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics" select Properties>Driver>Disable Device. Then do a restart. Then download and run the AMD Auto-detect Tool from AMD's website and let AMD install the proper drivers for your 6600XT.

After I disabled the 5700G's Radeon Graphics, AMD auto detect tool installed a feature rich version of AMD software. I hadn't realized the version I had had all along was geared towards the on board graphics even though AMD detected my RX 6600. Now that the APU's graphics drivers aren't playing tug of war with my 6600, AMD's software has recording/streaming capabilities for my 6600. Also my system has never run better. I'm at 1080p 60fps with any game I throw at it. I have a dual monitor setup, but my best monitor is only 1080 at 60hz. So I limit my GPU for my specific monitor. I did test CoD Vanguard and Warzone on Ultra Settings uncapped and getting over 200 FPS in Vanguard and over 120 FPS in Warzone.

All in all the disabling of the APU's graphics was the trick for me. I hope this helps you.