Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

juliannb
Adept II

AMD Radeon Software 18.5.1 freezes my computer every 5 seconds

Hello, everybody!

I'm having issues with the newest version of the AMD Radeon Software, which is currently 18.5.1. I decided to reinstall the OS from scratch because of some issues with the computer itself and for some cleanning up, then I decided to install the most recent drivers of my devices (because I don't trust Windows 10's drivers update). The moment I install the AMD Radeon Software, my computer freezes for 1 second every 5 seconds I move the mouse, it's incredibly annoying and I can't figure out why. I restarted multiple times, but the issue is still there, so I decided to uninstall it. Once I restart, it works just fine, no stuttering nor freezing, even Windows 10 "updated drivers" work without any issues. But then again, whenever I play a game, it recommends me to update the GPU drivers.

To give you an idea, here's a gif'd video I recorded with my phone on a pitch-black picture and the cursor, drawing small circles and capturing every single stutter:

ezgif-1-c4f5a71d33.gif

Despite happening with the cursor itself, it actually freezes my entire computer. I played a video and the moment I move the mouse, EVERYTHING gets stuck for a second and so on. I've checked my PC performance and there's no process consuming the entirety of the CPU, RAM nor GPU, and it happens right after I install AMD Radeon Software 18.5.1. I haven't tried with a previous version, but if there's anything I can change on the settings to fix this, please, let me know, this issue is very annoying.

My PC specs are as follows:

- CPU: Intel i5 7600K 3.80GHz;

- GPU: ASUS Radeon Rx 580 8GB;

- Motherboard: Gigabyte H270-Gaming 3;

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz;

- Storage: Corsair MP500 M.2 240GB + WD 3TB 7200RPM.

If I'm missing anything, please, let me know and I try to provide what you need as soon as I can.

Thank you very much in advance!

395 Replies

Disable “HDCP Support”"

did the trick for me.So far 2-3 restarts and no lag.So:

+Bump for Disable HDCP Support as a soltion.

One more thing though.

No one mentioned this,but for new people who wonder where is the Override option(because I did). It's Display>Specs(on the specific monitor)>Override

I only disabled the HDCP on my main monitor that was connected to the HDMI port.

Disabling HDCP was the first ting I did. Already mentioned.

0 Likes

I was testing around and I am pretty sure that Intellij is freezing my computer.

Thanks for your help. I will write now to Intellij support.

0 Likes
locodicegr
Miniboss

A workaround is :

Open AMD Radeon Settings

Open the Display tab and select the affected display

Click on Specs

Click on Override

Disable “HDCP Support

karcyon
Adept I

Having the exact same issue. I did set up Win 10 new. Everything worked and then the same thing as the OP described happened: The moment I install the AMD Radeon Software, my computer freezes for 1 second every 5 seconds I move the mouse.

0 Likes

A workaround is :

Open AMD Radeon Settings

Open the Display tab and select the affected display

Click on Specs

Click on Override

Disable “HDCP Support

Thanks!

This finally helped me!

0 Likes

thank you

0 Likes
pvcdroid
Adept II

The release notes ever since 18.6.1 have had this known issue that must be related to the lag every five seconds and erratic mouse behavior. What I'm wondering is if anyone with just one monitor is having issues. The note below references the use of two or more monitors for the issues to appear:

Known Issues

• Cursor or system lag may be observed on some system configurations when two or more displays are connected and one display is powered off.
0 Likes

Jep, I'm having this on my laptop.

pvcdroid <amd-external@jiveon.com> schrieb am Mo., 20. Aug. 2018, 07:33:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: AMD Radeon Software 18.5.1 freezes my computer every 5 seconds in *Drivers

& Software*

0 Likes

Yes, I appear to be one of the only people who have this issue with only one monitor!  It started with 18.4.1 on my DVI-attached Samsung 2243BWX.  Interestingly, if I turn off my monitor, when I turn it back on it begins to flash to black every five seconds or so in cadence with the freezes, until a restart.  The timing and similarities with other people having this issue with two+ monitors leaves me hopeful that when it's fixed for them it will also be fixed for me. 

The HDCP trick doesn't work for me since it already appears to be inactive in my settings(?).  I know this monitor supports HDCP so I'm not sure what's up with that.  Given this is a system-wide showstopper, I'd think this bug would have priority over any specific game issue.  Yet here I am still using drivers from March just to get by.

MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G (latest VBIOS)

Ryzen 5 1600X stock

Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming 3 (F23)

0 Likes

I'm currently on 18.9.3

3 Monitors connected:

- 1 via Display Port (Main Display)

- 2 via DVI (turned off)

- 3 via HDMI (my TV)

Believe it or not, I just switched the second monitor on and off and the lag was gone .. but it only lasted 5 minutes and the stutter came back. WTF!?

But then i disabled HDCP on the HDMI Display and so far no more stuttering.

0 Likes
lordchaoz
Adept I

I have two monitors. One DVI-D and one display port and I'm having the problem with all drivers after 18.3.4. I cant use the common workaround because there is no "override" button or something like that. But I see that only on one monitor HDCP is active. Is the override only possible with newer drivers or is there another way to disable it?

0 Likes

Are you clicking the "Specs" buttons in the AMD 'Display' menu. That then shows two options, "Information" and "Overide

overide.jpg

0 Likes

I have no monitor connected to hdmi. I have exactly the same type of monitors. Here is my display overview (doesnt show correctly that one is connected to displayport)

radeon_display_overview.PNG

The one connected to dvi-d shows that hdcp is active, but there is no override.

dvi_radeon.PNG

The one connected to display port shows hdcp inactive.

Seems that only monitors connected to hdmi can be overwritten?!

0 Likes

lordchaoz wrote:

I have two monitors. One DVI-D and one display port and I'm having the problem with all drivers after 18.3.4. I cant use the common workaround because there is no "override" button or something like that. But I see that only on one monitor HDCP is active. Is the override only possible with newer drivers or is there another way to disable it?

I'm currently with 18.3.4 and not needing to update.

Same here with 3 monitors. The override is there, just no way to disable HDCP.

Good question though, is this HDCP override only in new drivers?

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes
pvcdroid
Adept II

I installed 18.8.2 today and the mouse lag and intermittent freezing appears fixed. The known lag issue listed in the past few previous release notes is gone now.

I have HDCP checked and on in Settings>Display>Specs>Override. I'm running a Gigabyte Z270MX motherboard with a Gigabyte reference RX 480 8gb.

Good luck to all on these issues.

0 Likes

pvcdroid​ are you sure you got no problem anymore ? Just checked release notes for 18.8.2 and I still see the bug listed under "Known Issues" :

"Cursor or system lag may be observed on some system configurations when two or more displays are connected and one display is powered off"

0 Likes

No problems, seriously. Multiple times I tried 18.8.1 and 18.7.1 and had the lag. I always went back to 18.6.1 and turned off HDCP in order to live with it.

I did notice the known problem still listed after my post. I'm running Z270MX / i7-7700 and a Gigbabyte reference rX480 8gb with Windows 10 Pro.

0 Likes

After installing 18.8.2 bug still there for me and I have to turn off hdcp for my Tv which I use as a secondary screen.

My graphic card is a MSI RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC on windows 10 Pro

0 Likes
poildanus
Adept I

Same problem here with my Radeon RX580 and Windows 10.

Please AMD, provide us some help!!

For me, it's a very annoying bug.. The worst one since my first AMD product buy.

0 Likes

We are still looking at this issue and continue to relay feedback to engineering. The temporary workaround is to disable HDCP which according to feedback from other users resolves the issue.

0 Likes

amdmatt,

Chiming in to say the HDCP fix worked.

My setup:

Screen 1 - HDCP off (must not be supported by this screen)

Screen 2 - HDCP on

When I had screen 1 on by itself - no freezing

When screen 1 and 2 on - freezing exactly as described by OP

Unfortunately I didn't test screen 2 on by itself

Turning off HDCP on screen 2 resolved the issue for me immediately.

Cheers, and good luck with the fix!

matth78
Journeyman III

+1 for version 18.9.1 fixing the issue. I am not suffering anymore from mouse lagging when HDCP is turned on for my secondary monitor and when it's turned off.

0 Likes
vonchen
Miniboss

After installed 18.9.1 everytime I launched Radeon Settings, touch any tabs, it becomes delay or super laggy(not freeze, but just no response for a long while) sometimgs if I have one of my display turned off.

No matter HDCP on or off.

juraj_m_
Adept II

18.9.1 did NOT fix the problem at all.

After I enabled the DHCP, the problem came back even worse than before - now it lags even when I don't move my mouse.

Also for last several weeks my PC is quite unstable - every new GPU driver installation fails with some artifacts and I need to perform clean install.

I don't know what changed in GPU driver division but you should seriously make more tests before you release a new version.

0 Likes
vonchen
Miniboss

18.9.2 released and installed.

New release seems fixed Radeon Settings super laggy issue with multi-display configuration while one of display is off(on my case).

I am still testing but for now so far so good, well, still a little lag but not a problem anymore.

9P9sMEg.jpg

Well, 18.9.2 fixed the problem for me too (I have a similar multi-display setup as many others). Did a clean install though.

It did take almost four months to provide a solution without workarounds. That's not too good.

0 Likes

i tested 18.9.2 and freezes every 2 seconds but i dindt know about disable DHCP, let my try.

first amd vide card, im sad

0 Likes
poildanus
Adept I

Installed 18.9.2 with clean install method.

Problem not fixed here with my RX580 Windows 10.

I have yet to disable HDCP as workaround... as described here...

My setup is 3 screens.

Screen 1 (1080p through HDMI) = Main screen

Screen 2 & Screen 3 = Expended desktop with duplicate display on these screens

- Screen 1 = HDMI 1080p

- Screen 2 = DisplayPort 1080p

- Screen 3 = HDMI 1080p (screen 3 = Audio Receiver)

Steps to reproduce:

Boot with screen 1 & screen 2 active

After a while, activate screen 3

After a while, switch screen 3 "audio system" to another input (then, screen 3 no more display a duplicate of screen 2)

Got the LAG problem. Even if i reboot, the lag persist. I have to disable HDCP on my screens to fix the mouse lag.

Never got a single problem like that with my old RX 460, old drivers, with exactly the same screens/audio system and the same windows setup.

Then for sure, the bug is still present for me

0 Likes
dmajchrzak
Journeyman III

Full problem STILL EXISTS for me on 11.9.2.

Still get 1 second "freeze" every 5 seconds.

Clean install of 11.9.2

Two monitors, on all the time.

RX480 8GB

Display 1: AOC U2879G6, Displayport, AMD FreeSync on,

Display 2: AOC 22LVWk, DVI-D, AMD FreeSync not supported.

0 Likes
vonchen
Miniboss

Just back to report.

The bug whihc radeon settings slow responsding is still there and randomly. But it will finally acts, not like 18.9.1 whihc will no responding anymore.(But also not freezes, 18.9.1 just do not do anything anymore when it happened.)

I seems only have radeon settings slow and laggy responding issue, for normal PC using it is fine, no mouse lag or freeze.

0 Likes

I also noticed a return of the "flickering screen" bug. When I switch from a fullscreen game to desktop and back again and sometimes after boot my monitor turns off and on again in fast intervals. I don't know if its a problem specific to my Saphire RX470 Nitro + (OC) because I did not notice it for a time.

0 Likes

Pretty much, minus the switch between monitors. It looks like me as if the screen is reset cause my mouse pointer returns to the middle of the screen as well.

By the way, since when are the posts not shown in the "tree order" anyomre? Before you could directly answer to a posting and it would show under it, but now its just all "flat" in order of chronology.

0 Likes
ezequielm81
Journeyman III

I didn't update my ATI RX 560 driver in at least 6 months, and last night i decided to update it... The installation and all went right... but i don't only go the same issue that is posted here, i got an uggly down on FPSs too... And it's not just the mouse bothering when i turn off the 2nd screen, the whole Windows does.

0 Likes

Gladly, going back to the 18.2.1 driver solved the terrible mistake from the new driver.

Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 18.2.2 Release Notes

0 Likes
Hardwood
Paragon

I see 18.9.3 is out and no mention of this bug in the issues list. Anybody try it? (wishful thinking)

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

I was told from AMD support to do a clean driver installation to see if that solves the problem, but i didnt have the time to check it yet. Tho i will comment it as soon as i can do it.

0 Likes

Can confirm issue is still present on 18.9.3, fresh install & WINDOWS RESET after update to Win10 build 18247 on brand new RX 560. Default driver from Windows Update has no issue, but both 18.7.1 from card manufacturer and newest optional from AMD as stated above have issue present. After running DDU 18 and permitting Windows Update to update drivers again, driver from Microsoft black screens during installation and must be force rebooted, only to show the bare driver succeeded in installing, with no AMD software.

0 Likes