Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pneumatic
Journeyman III

AMD High Definition Audio Device driver code 52

Capture

As per the above image, the HDMI audio driver in the latest Adrenaline 21.5.2 fails to install due to code 52, resulting in nonfunctional HDMI audio.  

There have been other reports of the same issue: [1][2][3].

The issue appears to only affect the audio driver files in C:\AMD\...\Packages\Drivers\Audio\HDMI\W764A

So far I have identified 2 workarounds:

1. Windows Device Manager: uninstall the AMD HDMI audio driver, then let Windows install its own generic HDMI audio driver.  However I'm not sure if sound quality is as good.

2. Windows Device Manager: uninstall the AMD HDMI audio driver, then manually install an older AMD HDMI audio driver from Crimson 17.4.3 (2017).   This is the workaround I'm using currently.

I've uploaded both versions of the driver here which you may use to debug the issue.

I have also tried using DDU in safe mode to no effect.

System is Windows 7 x64 SP1, AMD R9 380.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
pneumatic
Journeyman III

Finally solved this one.

The reason was that for security reasons Microsoft advised retirement of SHA-1 signed content -- which appears to include driver signatures -- in favour of the more secure SHA-2 algorithm.

Windows 7 doesn't support SHA-2 unless this update (KB4474419) is installed.

I didn't have that update, therefore the driver installation failed.

Therefore KB4474419 is an AMD driver dependency which it should include in its driver package for Windows 7.

Or at least the AMD driver install utility should check if that update is installed and if not, advise the user.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
pneumatic
Journeyman III

Finally solved this one.

The reason was that for security reasons Microsoft advised retirement of SHA-1 signed content -- which appears to include driver signatures -- in favour of the more secure SHA-2 algorithm.

Windows 7 doesn't support SHA-2 unless this update (KB4474419) is installed.

I didn't have that update, therefore the driver installation failed.

Therefore KB4474419 is an AMD driver dependency which it should include in its driver package for Windows 7.

Or at least the AMD driver install utility should check if that update is installed and if not, advise the user.

0 Likes

According to AMD Support AMD has stopped supporting Windows 7 with AMD Driver updates as of June 2021: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-120

Screenshot 2021-11-21 073159.png

So there will be no more Windows 7 AMD Drivers to install or update after June 2021.

So I don't believe AMD will change its previous Windows 7 Driver installation process.

0 Likes