cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

HATSUNEMIKUINVENTEDCOD
Journeyman III

AMD Driver issues with OpenGL in Combat Mission games.

Hello all,

I recently updated my GPU to an RX7900xtx, however, when trying to play a game I often enjoyed, Combat Mission: Black Sea, the screen would flash white whenever an explosion occurs. Looking at community solutions seem to indicate the rolling back drivers to 22.1.2 would solve the issue, however, 22.1.2 drivers do not work for 7000 series GPUs. Is there any known way to resolve this or improve compatibility? I've already reinstalled drivers and tried running the game is various compatibility modes. 

Thank you!

70 Replies

Probably missing some specific ogl code extensions that game devs used.

Send a bug report, or maybe getting the game dev to contact AMD and let them know what coding they used?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Writing to also confirm that with RX6800, playing any Combat Mission title using driver's after 22.6.1 leads to flashing white screen with explosions. Practically unplayable and continues to be. It's like flashbangs in a shooter game.  I have written multiple bug reports and there are active posts in the game forum from tiger users with this issue.

Writing to also confirm that with RX6800, playing any Combat Mission title using driver's after 22.6.1 leads to flashing white screen when explosions occur in front of camera/player. Practically unplayable and continues to be. It's like flashbangs in a shooter game.  I have written multiple bug reports and there are active posts in the game forum from other users with this issue.

chrisol
Journeyman III

Yes - confirm this.  Was working fine, but the new drivers cause serious white-flashing graphic issues making it unplayable.

Is there any chance we will see improvements to OpenGL games in any imminent updates? This is plaguing all combat mission 2 titles and other open GL titles for nearly 3/4 of a year now. the CM devs at battlefront have all but confirmed that this is an issue on AMD's end.

Cristi
Journeyman III

Hi guys, I own a RX 480 8 GB OC I am having the same issues described above , in Combat Mission series. The only way was to rollback  some version for the driver in order to be able to play. I hope someone from AMD will investigate and fix this.

nox_plague
Adept I

Hello,

Yes, I have the same "white screen" issue when using any driver after 22.6.1.  Currently using an Radeon 6700XT with 23.3.1

I've submitted the bug via the Adrenalin software too.

AMD you did improve the game loading time significantly, but now the game is painful to play, since you can't see the action.

leblaque
Adept II

Need to echo what is in here.  Extremely frustrating that the drivers that I must use from AMD that actually work (22.6.1) are nearly nine months old.  I would think some level of "pushing" from Battlefront is in order here as AMD catering to a self-described "tiny company" is not practical unless they are regularly pressured that a half-dozen driver iterations have not solved the OpenGL problem.  Frankly, I point the finger at both Battlefront and AMD for not addressing this issue in a timely manner.  To forego a driver upgrade to fix 5% of my gaming time is just unreasonable; Battlefront and AMD should not expect this!  And the flashbang effect is not tolerable, therefore I cannot upgrade if I want to continue playing the CM series of games....

... Note, I have seen no one post yet an "out of memory" message in CM Cold War after the email turn played out in the most recent drivers.  Reverting to 22.6.1 fixed this as well. 

nox_plague
Adept I

@Ray_AMD 

BTW this issue impacts a large number of games, and likely the fix would resolve the issue for all since they use the same engine.

Here is a list of the impacted games:

Combat Mission: Cold War

Combat Mission: Shock Force 2

Combat Mission: Black Sea

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy

Combat Mission: Red Thunder

Combat Mission: Fortress Italy

Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg

Combat Mission: Afghanistan

Thanks for the update. I have reported this to engineering.

@Matt_AMD for awareness

Jeff_Ahl
Journeyman III

I had to downgrade my AMD Driver to be able to play Combat Mission with out annoying flashes. This is not a new problem I have learned and I can not understand why AMD is not fixing this. Will not buy a computer with AMD next time if they do not adress this problem now.

They updated the OpenGL code from drivers Enterprise 22.Q3 and Adrenelin 22.7.1 , but there hasn't been any new updates in months and months, seems like they forgot about it lol

Thus, i don't even use none of the newer drivers becasue of that, i stick with drivers from 2021 and early 2022. Using the May 2022 driver for my Vega 56 card, which seems to be the best. For my Radeon Pro W5500 i use 20.8.3 and for my Radeon Pro W6600 i use Enterprise 21.q4. For my RX 570 Whenever i use it, i use May 2022 drivers or Enterprise 21.q3. Until they update the OpenGL code/Extentions for their newer drivers, I'm staying away. 

23.3.2 dropped today and nothing in release notes about OpenGL.

For what it's worth, Combat Mission is a niche strategy game made by a niche indie developer.  They recently started putting all their games on steam. I am concerned that this white flashing problem will lead to negative reviews from AMD users  that will affect their sales numbers if not rectified soon enough. 

ignore post. 

0 Likes
Codreanu
Journeyman III

Chiming in to say I have the same issue as everyone else with my 6700XT. I remember driver version 22.5.1 working but the latest ones give that "flashbang" effect on explosions which isn't supposed to be there.

dipak
Big Boss

Just FYI, a bug ticket has been created to track this issue: "flashing white screen when explosions occur in front of camera/player" . The OpenGL dev team is currently looking into it. 

Thanks.

Do you guys plan to update and improved on the new openGL code, including adding the extentions back because certain Emulators using OpenGL does not perform well. Its pretty obvious most of the extentions are not present which is causing the issue. Any driver before 22.7.1 and Enterprise 22.Q3 has between 330-332 extentions, drivers from 22.7.1 and 22.q3 has around 278-286. 

Xemu is the main emulator that has problems as for performance issues, low choppy framerates. 

0 Likes

Hi @untouchable2k ,

It would be helpful for us to track if you please create a separate post here: AMD OpenGL Developers Forum and describe the issue in detail. I will forward the issue to the OpenGL dev team.

Thanks.

I will try. Thanks. 

0 Likes

@dipak 

While I cannot duplicate (as I won't reinstall then roll-back driver) hoping this helps facilitate solution.  As noted in a previous post, on newest drivers after playing a 60 second email turn, I received a "Windows" gray box "Out of Memory" error message, locking the game.  There was several lines of text associated and I should have done a screen grab.  Nevertheless, if this clue is linked any way to the persistent "flash-bang" effect described, perhaps it will provide some further resolution. 

RE: Your comment on a bug ticket, is there no legacy "bug ticket" as this issue has been going on since June '22?

0 Likes
nox_plague
Adept I

@dipak 

Additional information for the ticket:

"Flashing white screen" Issue begins for all drivers released after 22.6.1.

Latest drivers do improve game load times significantly, for example with 23.3.1 I see the same Battle loading in ~11 seconds compared with driver 22.6.1 the same Battle loads in about ~40 seconds (using the stopwatch on my phone).

Kwespo
Journeyman III

Me too. I'm also getting issues with a flashing white screen whenever there is any sort of explosion

firtuzilmu
Journeyman III

I am also having issues with a flashing white screen whenever there is an explosion on my rx 6650 xt. I have to switch back to my notebook with Nvidia until this bug is fixed.

Cristi
Journeyman III

Hi guys,

Any news regarding the tracking of this issue/ bug??

I managed to play CM series with AMD driver which is a a long rollback but CM series is working flawless.

Hi @Cristi ,

The issue is still under investigation. I will let you know once I get any update on this.

Thanks.

Here is an update on the issue "flashing white screen when explosions occur in front of camera/player". As I have come to know, the OpenGL dev team has identified the root-cause of the issue and they have implemented a fix for it. 

Thanks.

Hi Dipak, when you say they implemented a fix, will it be coming in a new update or is it already rolled out?? Thanks!

Hi @jiggathebauce ,

The fix is currently available in the internal driver builds only. The fix is likely to get promoted to the public driver soon. However, at this moment, I can't provide an ETA for this fix.

Thanks.

@dipak Thank you for the update, this will mean a lot to the broader CM community.  Is there a beta build or any way we can test to make sure it is resolved?

The community awaits here.

Hi @nox_plague,

Sorry, we can't provide this internal build for testing the fix. 

Thanks.

0 Likes
loki1944
Adept II

I can't even load a game with AMD drivers. My Nvidia cards (1080Ti/2080Ti/3080Ti) work fine with CM Black Sea; but my AMD 7900 XT crashes while loading into the game/scenario map. 

chrisol
Journeyman III

Its looking like (fingers crossed) the "flashbang" issue is resolved in 23.4.2 released yesterday... thanks !

Not fixed. 

0 Likes
nox_plague
Adept I

@dipak With 23.4.2 I am no longer experiencing the white screen during explosion issue on my RX 6700 XT.  Do you know was the fix checked in publicly or was this accidental due to some other change?

The game loading is so much improved with these drivers, great work AMD.

@HATSUNEMIKUINVENTEDCOD  Does this resolve the issue with your RX 7900 XTX?

0 Likes

Hi @nox_plague ,

The fix is already available in the latest Adrenalin driver.

Thanks.

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Hi @HATSUNEMIKUINVENTEDCOD ,

Could you please try the latest Adrenalin driver and let us know if the "flashing white screen" issue has been resolved?

Thanks.

0 Likes
leblaque
Adept II

The flashing white screen has been resolved by the newest drivers, HOWEVER, an out-of-memory error is now occurring on the largest battle maps in Combat Mission Black Sea.  I understand Battlefront have submitted a trouble ticket directly to AMD.  If I need to supplement with "BROKEN" save game files @dipak , I will be happy to do so.  

Hi @leblaque ,

Thanks for confirming that the flashing white screen issue has been resolved.

For the memory related issue, could you please open a new thread here: AMD OpenGL Developers ForumI will forward it to the OpenGL team.

Thanks.

0 Likes

@dipak 

Thank you for responding, Dipak.  I would open a new ticket, but I was not allowed access at the link provided... said something about "you can post only in the Newcomers Start Here forum." and Start a Discussion button is shaded-out. 

0 Likes