cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

andallthatjasper
Journeyman III

AMD driver causing display to be washed out whenever a program is opened

I have a laptop with AMD Radeon graphics. The display has impossibly bad colour accuracy, and one day I tried to fix that by reinstalling the graphics driver- biggest mistake of my life. Now, the display has gone from being a little inaccurate to massively washed out. It's like if you put a white layer set to "screen" over everything in Photoshop. Everything that isn't pitch black is pale. Obviously I can't take a screenshot of what my display looks like, but here's a rough approximation:

graphics.jpg

Tried reinstalling again, same problem. I quickly discovered that the only way to get the display back to its (already bad) normal look was to open the AMD software and swap between the "Display Colour Enhancement" modes. Neither of them fix the problem, but (depending on the day) the act of switching between them changes it back to normal. Sometimes opening the Windows 10 notification menu also resets it to normal. Sometimes nothing fixes it, and I have to fiddle with the AMD Software's awful colour controls until it looks passable enough for me to do simple tasks like browsing the internet or doing school work.

The problem is that when a program is opened, it resets back to that washed out look. Which means it is now impossible to play games. On a gaming laptop.

I have every Windows 10 update installed, the latest version of AMD Radeon installed, and an NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti GPU. No other display adapters. For the record, if I disable AMD Radeon entirely, the display goes back to a normal colour profile.

0 Likes
1 Reply
gowth13
Journeyman III

Hi @andallthatjasper ,
I have a similar issue with Asus ROG Flow X16 GV601RW, BIOS 313.

From ASUS drivers page, I installed latest AMD driver (31.0.12024.2005), and the Radeon software from Windows Store as mentioned. However, the display permanently looks washed out just as you described. Rarely, by flicking random options in AMD Radeon software, it resets, only to become washed out again in 10 minutes. 

Not having the PixelFormat option in Radeon software is too bad, as this definitely looks like the Limited vs Full Scale issue. Or a probable incorrect varying Gamma issue (like that with Varibright, which even if disabled looks the same).

Did you fix the problem on your machine? And can you suggest any other things you tried out and recommend changing?

0 Likes