cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

fccabb
Journeyman III

AMD Adrenaline won't open

It worked fine when I originally installed and all my hotkeys worked like they should, so I never needed to open it again. This lasted for months.

The other day I went to record something and didn't get a popup. When I tried to open adrenaline from the taskbar, it waited for a moment before the taskbar icon just vanished. I tried to open it from the program menu and it added the icon back to the taskbar, but didn't open. When I clicked the taskbar icon, it vanished again.

After looking on google someone recommended the amd cleanup utility. I ran that, reinstalled adrenaline, and it opened fine. I went back to what I wanted to record, but the hotkeys wouldn't work. I was able to record by manually hitting the record button and editing the start/finish to get what I wanted. After I closed everything later, I figured I'd fiddle with the settings to make it work, thinking I missed something.  Now it's back to the original problem of the icon vanishing and the program not opening.

I just downloaded the newest version, but I can't open it to get a version number.

GPU: RX 7900xtx

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core Processor 4.50 GHz

Windows 10

If any of that is important

0 Likes
1 Reply
Omgnoway
Adept III

first make sure windows is not trying to update.

I've had this problem a few time this is what fixed it for me please follow word for word.

Steps to Fix:

Uninstall AMD Radeon Software from the system control panel. Restart.

Pause Windows Updates for 7 days.

Download the AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin installer from AMD’s support website. It will prompt to restart. Let it finish. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rsx-install

Download Windows Update Show or Hide (it’s not an installer, just download the file to run in a later step). https://majorgeeks.com/files/details/wushowhide.html

Check for Windows Updates again. It will find the generic AMD display drivers and start to download them. Once it starts downloading them, pause Windows Updates again (don’t let it install them).

Run the Windows Update Show or Hide troubleshooter. Select the generic AMD display drivers and hide them so Windows will never try to install them.

You’re done! Windows Update will not override the latest AMD drivers you have installed. If Windows Update has newer drivers published, this may crop up again but I haven't experienced that (yet).

0 Likes