cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jamesbnorrington
Journeyman III

AMD 23.12.1 - Black Screen Every time on Windows Start and no prev. version works with Gaming now.

Installed update from AMD Adrenalin Edition 23.11 to AMD 23.12.1, now all I get is a Black (technically a grey screen as it is still turned on) screen every time. I re-installed 23.11 in Windows safe mode and it defaulted back to normal. 
Tried installing 23.12.1 three different times all ending up with a permanent black screen, however when I would enter my password to login, I hear the computer login and the screen will flicker with the desktop showing, but immediately goes back to black.

Also found out reinstalling 23.11 or 23.8 version now won't allow me to play half my games on steam. It crashes Call Of Duty whenever it reaches 'Loading Assets' point in the loading process. No previous version will now let me play.

Same thing has been reported by colleagues with gaming PC's and found that new Windows installations were required as gaming and core files corrupted. NOT GOOD.... 

Components:
CPU: 5800 X3D
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M Mortar WiFi Gaming Motherboard
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 7900XT Gaming Graphics Card
Memory: 4x16 GB Corsair 3600mhz Ram
Monitor:  ViewSonic ELITE XG340C-2K 34 Inch 1440p Ultra-Wide QHD Curved Gaming Monitor

14 Replies
Watador600
Journeyman III

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same, except for me it is not black screen but grey screen. I have reinstalled windows and wanted to install the new driver, but after half installing all I can see is grey. Also, restarting the system does not solve it, I have no password set, so it lands straight on the desktop, meaning grey screen... 

With safeboot I was able to run DDU and reinstall to a previous version (23.9.1) which I was using before and with that I'm not experiencing this issue.

I'm so glad that I found someone with the exact same problem.

Wesbro64
Adept I

I am both glad and upset that others are experiencing this issue. I updated to the most recent driver on my 7900 XTX and have been booting into a black screen.

I booted into safe-mode, deleted any drivers reporting errors in windows, and used DDU to wipe clean and restart. This fixed my issue, but upon reinstallation of the this recent driver, we are back to square one with a black screen. Windows is running to some extent, I can hear devices connect and disconnect. There is just zero display. 

This absolutely needs to be fixed, I am essentially running a bricked computer right now.

Parts List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hNGzkJ

0 Likes
Sunnyeti
Adept I

This needed to be fixed as fast a as possible! I have 7900xtx with omen 27qs, and I found the temporary solution by turning off the Adaptive Sync in monitor OSD. PC black screen after driver update 23.12.1 due to... - AMD Community

Will try that today to see if works. It is insane that such functiom has worked before and now the user needs to turn off things to have the system working...

My monitor: Acer Predator XB273UGXbmiipruzx

Anyway, I have talked with support and they told me that this issue is on the known issues list, which to be honest I did not notice. Not sure if they added it later. According to them it is intermittent, but in reality it is not...

They told me that we need to wait for another driver and keep an eye for the known and fixed issues list, which to be honest does not make anysense to me as this driver made their product unusuable and it should be their top priority.

0 Likes

I noticed "Intermittent Grey Screen" on their list of known issues, but in this thread you're actually the only one with a grey screen. The rest of us have a black screen, and I guess we're just going to have to hope that our screens get fixed when yours does. 

I agree that this should be a high priority issue, as it has a lot of us bricked unless we know to disable VVR. Which is also NOT a permanent solution, and can cause a lot of issues with input delay and stuttering. 

0 Likes

I don't think AMD have the resources to fix both a black and grey screen. Black screen users will have to wait their turn. Sorry!

DepressedPickle
Journeyman III

I am experiencing the same issue after updating the driver to 23.12.1 the windows boots and i can hear the log in sound yet the screen is black/grey.

The pc was working just fine and  had no issues whatsoever prior to this update.

I did managed to back up to a earlier version of windows which works .

I read a few things and it seems like its quite a common issue yet no one has an actual fix for it .

I'm curious as to what exactly triggers this and why.

My specs are

CPU: 7800x3d

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX

RAM: 2x 16gb Corsair 6000 mhz

Monitor 34 inch Msi Ultra wide Qhd curved 

Gpu: RX7900XT

Os Win Home 11 23H2

0 Likes
icepicktonyTX
Journeyman III

I am experiencing the same issue with my 7900 XTX, black screen after installing the latest update and monitor is running at 165hz. However, I found that when I moved my monitor from display port 1 to display port 2 I have no issues. Has anyone else experienced this? If not could this be a separate issue? 

System:

Monitor - ASRock Phantom Gaming 34" 2K (3440x1440) 165hz Curved 

GPU - XFX Speedster Merc310 Radeon RX 7900 XTX

CPU - Intel Core i9-13900KF

Motherboard - MSI PRO Z790

Memory - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB)

Hard Drive - Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD

OS - Windows 11 Pro 23H2

0 Likes

Could be you just have a bad port, or maybe bad cable and by moving the cable adjusted a faulty connection in it.

For blackscreens, I always recommend trying different port then different cable to rule out the main causes.

0 Likes
DrMatox
Journeyman III

I have the same problem.

I replaced some component of my PC

Config:

• CPU: 5600X
  • MotherBoard: AORUS B550 Elite AX V2 (lastest BIOS installed)
  • Memory: 4x 8Gb
  • GPU: XFX RX 6800XT
  • Monitor: FHD 60Hz

when I install the lastest Adrenaline V23.12.1, I have a black screen

0 Likes
ErrorDTP
Journeyman III

Same here. "Gray screen", only System Restore (rollback) works, to the older version of a driver.

- AMD 5800X3D

- Asus ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WIFI II

- Kingston HyperX FURY 2x16GB (3600MT/s@CL16)

- Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil

- Seasonic Prime PX-1600 Platinum

- Acer XB273U 27" (QHD@240Hz, DP connection)

- Windows 10 Pro 22H2 build 19045.3803

0 Likes

There is no official fix yet, and this was a common issue with some of the previous driver updates.

But i can confirm that turning of the Freesync on your monitor will fix it.

0 Likes

I see. I don't want to turn off the sync. Thank you, than i need to wait. Funny, this is my second AMD card in ~25 years and AMD still suck in drivers...

0 Likes
Arthur0815
Journeyman III

Hi,

I switched to a new Ryzen setup for the first time and have this problem with the embedded graphics. BIOS shows up fine, windows installation works fine, but once Windows updates the driver after first login, I get a gray screen of death. It took me hours to find out, that it is not the new hardware. Only by plugging in my old GTX1070 and using its driver and ports, I could finalize the system installation. 

I have never experienced such problems, where a graphics driver just displays nothing instead of at least a 640*480 output as fallback, especially with CPU embedded graphic output. This thread is older now, are there any fixes? I could ignore the embedded graphics, but it would leave me with a very bad experience with using Radeon, which would prevent me from buying an AMD dedicated graphics card.

0 Likes