Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

delevero
Adept III

7900xtx and pimax 8kx does not work, driver crash

Hi.
2 days ago i got an XFX Radeon RX 7900XTX MERC310 Black Edition 2 and so far all the games i tried work and i see a very good performance in the games. ( example valheim, msflight simulator ect )
But when i turn on my pimax software  ( pitools or piclient/shop ) then the graphics card driver crash and freeze the screen every time. Only in rare cases can i get further than this.

After houres of testing and trying all kind of things i must admit i belive the problem is that he video card driver have a bug
related to VR and that is the only thing that will fix the problem.
I think the problem have something to do with the Displayport not sending the correct signal since the headset will not turn on the screen in the headset.  Before i had the 6900xt and the pimax software and vr headset worked, but with the 7900xtx it does not work at all.

Sometimes i have been able to provoke the headset and pimax software so i was able to get parts of the headset to work.
I can sometimes get into the software and make the headset track the base stations on the wall and i can also startup example a flight sim named dcs  world. I see on my monitor a split screen vr image that show what the vr headset should see, but there is just a black screen in the vr headset. Also if i move the headset fast and look around then the image cannot keep up and fall behind.  In other rare cases i have had an image in my vr headset that look perfect like it should be with an pimax logo in the
vr image in my headset.. But when i turn on example dcs world again then the image goes crazy and look in all directions very fast.

I am sorry to say so but the 7900xtx and the pimax 8kx does not work together.
The pimax code on the back of the headset read 1978. I cannot read the other numbers since theyr are worn out.
A guy on the pimax xr forum said that i have the 2075 version of the headset ( maybe )
I tried with the AMD driver 23.1.1 and 23.1.2  but both graphics drivers crash when i turn on pimax VR.
For though who do not need to use a pimax we need to turn on pimax/pitool software and after that steam vr takes over and it function like a htc vive vr headset.

I have no onboard graphics and i also tried to move the cables around ect. but no luck.. Its a VR driver related bug i think.

I have reported the bug to pimax ( who are on vacation now )  and AMD via the radeon report bug tool, and xfx who just said they also belive its a driver related bug.

cpu 5900x
32 gb ddr4 ram
windows 11 ( i even reset windows 11 and started with a 100% fresh formatted pc and new drivers ect )
7900xtx
2 x m.2 ssd
1x 7200 harddisk
1000w rog powersupply.

10 Replies
YetAnother
Journeyman III

Getting the same exact issue. Hoping for a fix soon

0 Likes
LexDK
Adept I

I'm also waiting for a fix for the radeon 7900 series and pimax.

I would even try a "beta" driver if it could help to get it to work

0 Likes
HrGos
Journeyman III

Im getting an issue with the Pimax 5K headset, that seems similar

0 Likes

Have you gotten the 5K working yet with your 7900xtx? I can help you get it working if you want. I got my 5K super working very well on a 7900xtx even with steam SS at 3176x2612 good for 90 FPS. Let me know and I will describe the lengthy process it required to get it working.

hi i have problem with my 5k super headset.i'm useing 7900xt.could you tell me how you got you setup work? it may helps me. thanks.

0 Likes

Pitool doesn't properly support the 7900 series GPU's  you have to install Piplay 1.14 and stick with it . Piplay will try to update every time you run it. Don't update past 1.14 and install the newest Adrenaline driver for your gpu that should work unless you changed from an Nvidia gpu to the 7900.

0 Likes

hello, I bought an asus tuf gaming rx 7900 xt oc and I have a pimax 8k; is it possible to get the procedure to follow to make them work together

0 Likes
LexDK
Adept I

I have made a support request direct to amd to ask if theres any timeline for a fix.

If I get any information I'll update here

0 Likes
LexDK
Adept I

Sadly no news

so gonna get something else that works

0 Likes
cindyroberts
Adept II

I'm returning my 7900xtx for a 4080. I don't like nvidia but I highly doubt AMD has the ability to address this issue any time soon as they only care about the pending releases of new cards.

0 Likes