cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Tinkle
Adept I

7900 XTX - Only showing 144hz not 170hz

Last month I owned at 6800 XT which achieved 170hz no problem on my ACER PREDATOR xb323ugp Monitor

But ever since buying the 7900 XTX using the same hardware and cables I am only able to achieve 144hz MAX and no higher.

Tested my 6800 XT again and it can achieve 170hz from windows.

So what is going wrong here ? Is this a driver bug ?

FYI I have reformatted windows, installed the latest 7000 series drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled - still no luck!

Thanks in advance Tinkle!

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Yes, thank you very much all for your patience.

The issue should be resolved in 23.2.2 driver which is available for download here. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-2-2

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the post, we are looking into this issue.

0 Likes

Thank you Matt, I did contact powercolor just in case but they didn't help that much and said it's more so your side of the pond that will need to review. 

Just as another FYI I even tried windows 10 and still no luck.

0 Likes

Hey Matt, had there been any progression on this matter ? Ive seen the problem it's popping up across the internet at the moment.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Haaky
Adept II

I'm running triple 32" Acer monitors and they run perfectly fine at 170hz

Check your display setting in Windows, make sure it set to 170hz

0 Likes

Sadly not my case, and I have tried everything trust me.

0 Likes
Haaky
Adept II

Follow up:

Are you running DP or HDMI?

I have read that there are other people having problems with the ACER PREDATOR

0 Likes

Currently running DP cable and have tried numerous over cables too ... also used the exact same cable from when i was using the 6800 xt which could achieve 170hz.

kind regards

Tinkz

0 Likes
kitastan
Adept II

Hello,

I have very similar problem. In my case i have RX7900XTX Taichi  from Asrock and iiyama GB2790QSU-B1 monitor  that is 1440p @ 240Hz.  Unfortunatelly i can only set 144Hz in Windows settings. Tried multiple thing (reinstalling drivers, different ports on GPU etc) but with no results.

The interesting part is that when i plug the same DP cable to integraded GPU from Ryzen 7900X then i can set 240 Hz with no problem so it is not the monitor or cable fault....

It seems like a driver issue to me.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I was wondering if you could send us some diagnostic data to help us investigate this issue?

Could you please try the following:

Hit Win + R to prompt the Run dialog and type the following command

dispdiag -out %userprofile%\Desktop\dispdiag.dat

This will generate a file called dispdiag.dat on your desktop. 

Please could you share that file with me? I appreciate it. 

Sure i can.

How do you want me to share the file with you? Via email?

0 Likes

i am having the exact same issue with the same GPU and 240hz monitor as this gentleman  

0 Likes

Hi Matt - please see my .dat file https://easyupload.io/m2sbzf 

I am the original poster and still not had a fix  

0 Likes

Here`s the file you asked: https://easyupload.io/5yevi7

Best regards

0 Likes

There is new driver 23.2.1. I wonder if it fixes this issue cause it still not mentioned in the release notes....

EDIT: Just tested with newest 23.2.1. drivers. Still the same, no fix this time....

0 Likes
kitastan
Adept II

Sure i can.

How do you want me to share the file with you? Via email?

0 Likes
Tinkle
Adept I

***** UPDATE ********* 

Just did a complete refresh install of the latest AMD DRIVERS from 15/02 - 23.2.1

And still no luck - still only shows 144hz max refresh rate - yet again tried all new cables, reformat and etc

@Matt_AMD When you feel this will be fixed ? how far up the chain is this problem ? - please respond

Kind regards

Tinkz

The issue is under investigation. Once I have more information to share, I will update the discussion.

Cheers Matt, as im sure you can appreciate spending over a thousand on an item for it to only provide a service which would have been achievable for more than half the price is a pretty annoying experience, This is my first time ever using an AMD product too. Any information or updates you have will be appreciated as this thread is something im sure many of us will be checking up on daily. 

Thankyou, Paul  

Matt, i beleive the issue has been fixed per the latest adrenalin driver update, many thanks  

https://gyazo.com/987dae22cd9e208dc5b5e2ba0fd41187

0 Likes
Ashguard
Journeyman III

Hey everyone!

Not so glad to join this thread, but I've just installed my newly bought PowerColor RedDevil 7900 XTX, and I have the same picture: 144Hz instead of 240Hz on my Iiyama G-Master GB2790QSU display.

Have installed latest drivers.

It was 240Hz for my old v-card: Radeon RX 580. Connected through the same cable.

Checked every port, disconnected my digitizer from the videocard. Same result.

A bit frustrating. Hope for soon resolution.

0 Likes

A minor update:

Accidentally, I've noticed that sometimes it works with 240Hz.
I saw it when the "PerformanceTest" benchmark was testing DX9/10/11 with 1920x1080 resolution (2560x1440 is native for my display).

Though, it's only 60Hz for everything else now.

I use AMD products for decades, and this situation is something that makes me think of turning to other manufacturers.

That is a bit expensive beta-testing of the product, isn't it?

0 Likes

At 1080p it runs 240 Hz no problem. Thing is at 1440p there is only 144 Hz and should be 240hz. It is like the GPU is limiting  the bandwidth of Display port to HDMI level. 

0 Likes

I have the same monitor and exact same problem as you! 

0 Likes
kitastan
Adept II

***** UPDATE ********* 

I found that via "Custom resolution" option in Adrenaline  i can set max 200Hz on 1440p.

The downside is that the color depth goes to 6bit.   

"Timing Standard" must be set to "CVT - reduced blanking".

exactly the same for me, no more than 200 in custom resolutions, this is a truly unusual problem. 

0 Likes
Stardoggy
Adept I

***** UPDATE *******

THE NEW ADRENALIN UPDATE 23.2.2 HAS FIXED THE PROBLEM

https://gyazo.com/987dae22cd9e208dc5b5e2ba0fd41187

I NOW HAVE A 240 HZ OPTION ON MY 240HZ MONITOR  

reply or press like if yours has also fixed, this is fantastic news! 

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Yes, thank you very much all for your patience.

The issue should be resolved in 23.2.2 driver which is available for download here. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-2-2