cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

CoolHandLuke88
Journeyman III

7900 XTX 23.1.1 Driver Update Issue

I spent $1,200 dollars on the 7900XTX and I attempted to update to 23.1.1 drivers and it almost bricked my entire system! My screen went black while installing the drivers (+Factory Reset) and sat there on a black screen until I hard cycled my computer with the power button. Past this point my computer would no longer complete the boot process with the GPU connected. Like seriously, for this kind of money, I should not be having this kind of issue! Luckily I am tech savvy, many users are going to have problems like this and have NO IDEA how to fix it! Not to mention if they don't have integrated graphics they will be completely SCREWED! This is NOT a good look....

I had to disconnect the GPU, boot into safe mode on integrated graphics, uninstall the drivers, connect the GPU back into the system, boot BACK INTO SAFE MODE, and install the drivers again, just to fix this. A simple driver update should not require a half an hour of troubleshooting to fix.

Like what in the actual heck, AMD?! My first attempt to support this company through purchasing their GPUs and this is what I deal with the very first time I try to update my drivers. Why is this even an issue? I feel for $1,200, some basic level driver stability is an absolute must. If you cannot achieve that, then you shouldn't release the product.

I am extremely upset right now, my wording was much more harsh in my bug report, but the forums have strict rules. Probably because otherwise people like me would post some pretty harsh things about their poor experiences.

5 Replies
Hash_
Journeyman III

I had this exact same thing happen to my PC... I'm so disappointed with myself over this driver update I thought I could install on my GPU.

Thank you for posting this. I am not that tech savvy, but will try asking for help to follow your instructions.

0 Likes
yrrab
Adept I

Just wanted to add my experiance here bought 7900xtx in December 22 all was good then updated drivers to version 22.12.2 found that i had no signal on booting PC had to recycle power to get a single to my monitor waited for an update thinking awsome they should have fixed the issue downloaded version 23.1.1 only to find that i couldnt open the installer spent hours making changes so it would work then found that my PC would crash when loading into desktop all i can say is garbage more fool me for switching from Nvidia

petergroft29
Journeyman III

In the search box on the taskbar, enter device manager, then select Device Manager. Select a category to see the names of devices, then right-click (or press and hold) the one you'd like to update. Select Search automatically for updated driver software. Select Update Driver.

Greetings,
Peter

0 Likes
Psyhix69
Adept III

I had similar issue. Installing of the drivers went well I went to play Apex Legends and after some time my PC hard-locked (with still image from the game on the monitor) and I had to use hardware power off (nothing else worked). After power on windows installer popped up and I had to re-answer some questions. At this point I thought I lost my data but fortunately after answering questions everything was in place.,

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the posts. We have an existing thread on this topic which you can use to provide your feedback and track future status updates. 

Re: BSOD after updating to 23.2.1 - Page 2 - AMD Community

0 Likes