cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

misteright
Adept II

75hz causing issues when using RX 5600 XT

3 weeks ago I upgraded my gpu from RX 580 to RX 5700 XT. Played some games that previously unplayable when using RX 580 and i'm happy with my upgrade decision. Seems like happy story, right? Not until i boot up my Mortal Kombat 11. The performance is disaster, the fps is showing 60fps but i know well how Mortal Kombat 11 perform with my RX 580 so i know this is not how Mortal Kombat 11 should perform with my rx 5600 xt.

So i decided to use rivaturner and radeon overlay to track the fps of my game and weird things happen. Riva turner showing 60fps, in-game benchmark Mortal Kombat 11 showing 60fps. But amd overlay only showing 43fps! How is that possible? So I'm trying to do some troubleshooting by changing few things on driver. First by turning off freesync, and then boot MK11 again and all fps counter are now showing 60fps including radeon overlay. The performance is little bit better still the game is not smooth, slow down happened there and there during gameplay but all fps counter are showing 60fps! When i turn on vsync the performance will become a little bit better but still using my rx 580 give me a better performance than this. The point is when i change my refresh rate to 60hz the game running just fine and really smooth but when changing to 75hz the fps maybe showing 60fps but the what my eyes see is kinda 40ish-50ish fps. This doesn't happen with my rx 580 so i'm sure the problem is with the driver. So far 1080p 75hz+freesync working just fine on mk11, but using rx 580 even 1440p 75hz+freesync doesn't have this problem.

I don't know it's happen to all games or not but so far i could notice the difference when playing fixed 60fps games like Mortal Kombat 11, Dead or Alive 6, and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4. I mostly playing the game with VSR at 1440p or more.

MY Spec:

Ryzen 5 3500x
Asrock b450 pro4
MSI rx 5600 xt mech oc
LG 24MK600M
Driver amd radeon 20.4.1

I also include the video for the proof about the fps counter when using 75hz+Freesync on on Mortal Kombat 11 where every fps counter is showing 60fps but amd overlay showing 43fps. When changing to my RX 580 the game is running just fine. The game when recorded is played using Virtual Super Resolution at 1440p.

I notice a lot of people also has this issue with their rx 5700 and rx 5700 xt in the past. So why the problem is still there on my rx 5600 xt?

PS Sorry for bad english, it's not my first language.

33 Replies
misteright
Adept II

amdmatt

Will you notice me?  600 hours gameplay in mk11 using rx 580 should be enough to know how my mk11 should run when using rx 5600 xt.  This problem is happen with all my fixed 60fps games. The effects just hit different with one another.

0 Likes
misteright
Adept II

amdmatt‌ Is it possible for the driver team to reproduce this problem with the same setup? It's my hard earned money and i'm not happy with the result.

0 Likes

me too. This issue was obviously cause by the bad driver.

0 Likes

Your spec? Maybe this could be fixed faster if people with the same problem shout out about this.

0 Likes

0 Likes

Already did. The problem is so detailed but curious why no amd person responded to my thread.

0 Likes

They do not respond to threads. This is a user-to-user help forum. If you want AMD to know something...use the report form.

https://community.amd.com/thread/196210 

0 Likes

That's where you kinda incorret, my friend. Actually they do, sometimes. That's why i mention one of them in my thread.

0 Likes

Those are forum moderators. If they see something improper they correct it. It is not their job to answer your questions. 

AMD Support Forums - Rules & Regulations & Terms of Membership

Discussion created by ray_m Employee on Jan 29, 2016

OFFICIAL TERMS OF USE

This is a user to user English language only Support Forum. Information or opinions contained in any posts are those solely of the user making the post and are in no way validated by, or the opinions of, AMD, including our moderators. Use of any information on this board is done so AT YOUR OWN RISK and all information is provided "AS IS" and without any warranty, express or implied. While we may at time respond to posts, AMD makes no warranties or claims regarding the validity of any information posted by users on this board.

This board is moderated by AMD employees and we request that you please be respectful when interacting with our moderating team. AMD reserves the right to remove a user's account and/or permanently banning any users for violations of these terms of use or for actions, which, in AMD's sole opinion, are deemed to be detrimental to other users or AMD products, employees, or contractors. Please follow the guidelines provided below carefully.

0 Likes

"This board is moderated by AMD employees"

So, they're amd people then.

Anyway their answer in one of the thread is like this:

"Thanks for the posts folks.

I have passed the information from this thread onto driver engineering for investigation. "

It's worth trying.

0 Likes

Sometimes the moderators are asked by the technical department to gather more information on a issue that has been reported through https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

Yeah i already did that, usually the problem will be noticed faster if a lot of people have the same issues.

But i guess people with rx 5600 xt using 75hz monitor playing fixed 60fps games are rare. .-.

I mean nobody showed up in mk11 forum that use this build, not even in amd groups in my country.. All people who helping me there are using different setup than me, so it's kinda hard to track, i guess.

0 Likes

If it's just the one game...it could have many reason for the issue...optimizations for Nvidia cards cards being one. I have the Sapphire RX580 Pulse and am extremely happy with it .

0 Likes

I hope it's just one game but sadly it's not just one game. I stated in my post that it happen with all my fixed 60fps game at 75hz refresh rate. Yeah i also happy with my nitro+ rx 580 because this problem doesn't happen with rx 580.

0 Likes

5700 Navi Clock frequency down clocking & fluctuating causing stuttering and poor performance 

I just realize my problem has correlation with this. After reading this post i decided to monitoring my core clock and boom there you are the culprit. A lot of things are broken with amd driver apparently. The effect is not that big with 60hz but it's clearly a killer with 75hz.

0 Likes
misteright
Adept II

There is slightly mistype on the first sentence. It's supposed to be rx 5600 xt not rx 5700 xt. Sorry.

0 Likes
misteright
Adept II

Deleted all partition, clean install my windows, reinstalling necesarry software, reinstalling my game. Just to find out it perform just the same. :') Seriously i wanna kill myself, i'm letting go all those files just for nothing? No important files in my drive though, just the amount of times it take to gather those files.

Seriously how many people it takes to make this problem noticed by amd team? It's impossible hardware faulty if it's only happen with fixed 60fps game.

0 Likes

Have you checked your computer display settings? Sometimes a new driver install changes the refresh rate to 59.

0 Likes

Because i stated my problem is with 75hz then my refresh rate is absolutely at 75hz. My games doesn't have refresh rate settings so it's following display refresh rate. I could play fixed 60 fps game at 4k 60hz flawlessly but when i change it to 75hz then boom i want to throw my gpu lol.

0 Likes

For those with problems use DisplayPort which has more bandwidth for 4K75 etc.

HDMI is far too bandwidth starved.

0 Likes

My monitor doesn't have DP. The game is even running like a nightmare at 1440p 75hz. Bandwith is not the problem since at 4k 60hz my NUNS4 running just fine. The problem is centered around refresh rate. at 1440p 75hz even NUNS4 will have heavy choppiness which is not happened with my RX 580.

0 Likes

misteright wrote:

My monitor doesn't have DP. The game is even running like a nightmare at 1440p 75hz. Bandwith is not the problem since at 4k 60hz my NUNS4 running just fine. The problem is centered around refresh rate. at 1440p 75hz even NUNS4 will have heavy choppiness which is not happened with my RX 580.

I buy more expensive panels that come with DisplayPort. Reason is clear when the 10-bit color and 4:4:4 chromaticity all want more bandwidth.

0 Likes

Yeah but still that is not the solution. The problem is the driver or card behavior when using 75hz monitor when playing fixed 60fps games. Arkham knight, the witcher 3 is running fine at 1440 75hz, even i could play gta v at 1800p 75hz. But when it comes to fixed 60fps games (basically all fighting game), the game will run at 60fps but what displayed feels like 40ish fps.

0 Likes

Part of the problem is the VESA standard was built around 60 Hz.

My 4K panel can handle 3840x2160, 2560x1440, 1920x1080 and remaining VESA modes,

Can you link to your LCD product page so I can take a closer look.

0 Likes

LG 24MK600M-B: 24 Inch Class Full HD IPS LED Monitor with Radeon FreeSync™ (24'' Diagonal) | LG USA  

Thanks for your help. But when i switched back to RX 580 everything is back to normal, 75hz problem dissapear. So i think we already eleminate the possibility, eh?

Also there's an update, freesync also broken on unlocked fps game (at first i thought it just on fixed 60fps game), when i run my gta v at 1800p with freesync on i got 40-50ish fps but when i turn it off i could reach 70~ easily. Amd driver need serious treatment.

0 Likes

misteright wrote:

LG 24MK600M-B: 24 Inch Class Full HD IPS LED Monitor with Radeon FreeSync™ (24'' Diagonal) | LG USA  

Thanks for your help. But when i switched back to RX 580 everything is back to normal, 75hz problem dissapear. So i think we already eleminate the possibility, eh?

Also there's an update, freesync also broken on unlocked fps game (at first i thought it just on fixed 60fps game), when i run my gta v at 1800p with freesync on i got 40-50ish fps but when i turn it off i could reach 70~ easily. Amd driver need serious treatment.

Thanks for the panel info. Given the RX 580 is working and the RX 5700 XT is not suggests drivers are configuring the card properly.

Recent drivers for my RX 480 have been horrible but 20.4.1 is working much better than the all previous drivers this year. I am on a fresh install of Window.

0 Likes

Yeah i'm playing MK11 with my RX 580 maxed out at 1440p 75hz, no problem so far. I mean 600 hours of gameplay and never had any problem with rx 580 lol. So what is your opinion? The driver is the culprit or something is wrong with my hardware?

I guess no rx 5600 xt users reporting about this because let's be honest this card just come out about 2-3 months ago and how many people has it let alone using it with 75hz monitor while playing fixed 60fps games. Just my assumption though. I don't know the real data. I post about this matter on mk11 and doa 6 forums and no rx 5600 xt with 75hz monitor show up. I post this on amd groups in my country and some people with rx 5600 xt and 75hz show up but none of them are playing fixed 60fps games, kinda hard to track. .-.

0 Likes

misteright wrote:

Yeah i'm playing MK11 with my RX 580 maxed out at 1440p 75fps, no problem so far. I mean 600 hours of gameplay and never had any problem with rx 580 lol. So what is your opinion? The driver is the culprit or something is wrong with my hardware?

I guess no rx 5600 xt users reporting about this because let's be honest this card just come out about 2-3 months ago and how many people has it let alone using it with 75hz monitor while playing fixed 60fps games. Just my assumption though. I don't know the real data. I post about this matter on mk11 and doa 6 forums and no rx 5600 xt with 75hz monitor show up. I post this on amd groups in my country and some people with rx 5600 xt and 75hz show up but none of them are playing fixed 60fps games, kinda hard to track. .-.

way more gripes over the RX 5700 cards, suggests drivers are still in need of more work on them

0 Likes

https://community.amd.com/thread/249063 

I just realize my problem has correlation with this. After reading this post i decided to monitoring my core clock and boom there you are the culprit. A lot of things are broken with amd driver apparently. The effect is not that big with 60hz but it's clearly a killer with 75hz.

0 Likes

misteright wrote:

5700 Navi Clock frequency down clocking & fluctuating causing stuttering and poor performance 

Most likely AMD will try to get more fixes out the door before long. bad drivers are not in their best interest long term.

0 Likes

Yeah at least that thread is noticed by the moderator and reported to the developer team.

0 Likes

I spent a wad on a good 4K panel with the right bells and whistles. My panel supports the Windows HDR feature and it is IPS so it is real RGB not that fluff that TN panels flog.

So this puts demands on video cards far worse than these recent low res high frame rate panels. Right now I have a fossilizing RX 480 8GB and it has been a stalwart of stability. Flakey drivers notwithstanding.

0 Likes
edgarboi
Journeyman III

Damn, what's the update? Could you fix the issue? I was going to upgrade to the same GPU for a 75Hz monitor. (That too of a LG, like yours.)

0 Likes