cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

KabouterPlop1
Challenger

6900 XT 22.7.1 blackscreens

Im having black screens with my LG ultrawide going fully black and unresponsive followed by a driver time out after a while my 2e screen does not go black but freezes, sometimes this happens while gaming to but it happens mostly during whatsapp videocalls usually within 10 minutes if it happens and very frequently, i decided to downgrade quite far back to 21.12.1 and if not experienced same behaviour yet with those drivers but 22.7.1 i get black screen hangs and driver timeouts which is frustating cos i really wanna use noise supression

0 Likes
28 Replies
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Make sure to submit a bug report so the Devs can see it and try to workout whatever the problem is. Good thing you were able to at least rollback and have drivers you find stable for your card at the moment, at least.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

If done multiple bug reports + 1 on 21.12.1 explaining i have no crashes and that i will do followup bug report if i do end up with black screen again, if had memory issues in the past but so far if not been able to get memory errors

i know if been without blackscreen issue for a day before even with latest driver so im pretty frustated.

Anyway i had black screens within minutes rolled back and it went away for like 2 hours and more or less so far had no black screens obviously i report back here as well when i get it again, cos that means i need to troubleshoot further.

i am 100% certain tho my psu is suficient tho its a be quiet! dark rock power pro 12 1200w

other specs include

2x 980 pro 2 tb nvme

2x mx500 2 tb raid0

2x 860 evo 1 tb raid0

1x 4 tb mech drive

4x8 GB ddr4 3600 cl16

X570-E

AMD ryzen 9 5950x

If had blackscreens with my memspeed limited to ddr4 3200 and pbo off as well when i had it on 22.7.1 i think if had it before on previous drivers as well possible since the dx11 driver

vialli100
Forerunner

22.7.1 is an optional beta driver, so problems can be expected or are very probable..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Yes optional but still some of us really want noise supression the fact i can use it during whatsapp video call with people that have noisy keyboards is amazing so i do hope these issues i am having especially if i am not alone get reported fixed or known issue next driver

kenny123
Adept I

same problem when i turn on The SUPER RESOLUTION 

black screen but  my pc still running  with  background audio 

Does Win + Ctrl + Shift + B bring back display this manually restarts gpu driver you probably should wait least 1 minute once to see if it automaticly does this usually within 30 seconds

0 Likes
kenny123
Adept I

forgot to left my spec down in my last reply.

Ryzen 2600

ASUS DUAL  6700XT

MSI B450M pro vdh

XPG D10 3200 MHZ  16GB( 8 X2)

XPG SX6000 Lite PCIe Gen3

ANTEC ECO 650W GOLD

0 Likes

With my 6900 xt my 2nd monitor randomly blanks out whether I'm using it or not independently of what my primary monitor is doing.  Both of my screens are ultrawide LG nano IPS panels and the primary never acts up.  I've filed numerous bug reports but the issues keep carrying over with each driver update so IDK.

0 Likes

Intresting would this contineu to happen if you disabled 1 monitor ? i noticed its just 1 screen going black 2e screen freezes up

my main display is a LG ultrawide 3840x1600 144hz always set at 8 bit never bothered with 10 bit cos i cant run 144 hz that way windows like to set it to 120hz 10 bit by default until i change it tho, my 2e monitor is just tiny display with system info that likes to default it self to 10 bit and reports it self as being 12 bit capable connected via hdmi which just freezes does not turn black, i wonder if i still would have issues if i discon

0 Likes

My primary is an LG 38GN950 and my secondary is a BenQ Mobiuz EX3415R both set to 10 bit color and 144hz.  I run the LG from the USB-C port and the BenQ from a DP port but it behaved the same way when I was DP on both. 

If I didn't care about money I'd have bought an EVGA 3090ti as they are on sale for $1.2 - 1.3k and put this one up for sale.  Its been out long enough that the driver team should've already corrected this behavior.

0 Likes

Nvidia has some annoying issues as well, like there gsync issues, like it randomly breaks or stops working because of the way they setup gsync to engage even with apps that aren't games which iss bloody annoying.

0 Likes
jdmpower
Adept II

stable in games but black screen in adobe programs (camera raw,bridge,photoshop),

and then hardware acceleration cannot be turned on camera raw, i alreay uploaded crash log.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

Things to do/check if you want

Make sure your motherboard's BIOS is up to date
Make sure your Windows install is up to date
Make sure you are running separate power cables to each power input on your GPU
Make sure you are running the latest AM4 Chipset drivers from AMD's website
Run DDU and remove all past GPU drivers from both AMD and Nvidia (whatever you may have had installed on this install of Windows) .. reboot .. and THEN install latest GPU drivers from AMD's website
IF none of those help resolve your issue .. try a different PSU if you are able to and/or try your GPU in another setup if you are able to

You can also pull up a command prompt/terminal as admin and run:

sfc /scannow

and check for corrupt system files and attempt to fix them

Also check your GPU/CPU temps
Make sure you have all power connectors connected to your motherboard (ie .. 24pin + 4/8/8x2 connectors filled..etc)

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Strongly not advice to update mainboard bios unless you have problems heck anything later then 1203c has infamous edc bug if you use PBO then you trigger the edc bug by default this causes stability issues as well that aren't there without PBO or with PBO on agesa 1203c

for the rest you are not making any sense this is clearly a bad driver altho some of these steps i always follow up normally

0 Likes

I run 5000 series CPU's (like the OP) on 3 different ASRock motherboards with latest 1.2.0.7 AGESA without issue. As a general rule, it's always best practice to keep your BIOS up to date .. just like your drivers and Windows. There are always a few outliers with any update that doesn't mesh with a particular setup (Windows update, Driver update , BIOS update) .. 

These are practices that I always follow and I generally don't have issues on my setups so I'm just going by personal experience.

ThreeDee PC specs

X570-E is one of the boards that least suffers edc bug and limits vcore to 1.420 above 140 edc with PBO on edc is set to 190 on my chip so i downgraded again if had stability issues that i only discovered til early this year even memory issues all issues gone the moment i rolled back except for memory issues 1 stick got dirty cleaned off all my problems where gone, same with black screens i just went to much older driver and its all fine again, i would never recommend upgrading bios unless you have issues or need to cos you have newer chip.

0 Likes

well I guess we can agree to disagree, lol

5900x/x570 Taichi, 5800x/x570 Steel Legend, 5600x/B550m Phantom Gaming 4 all running 1.2.0.7 without issues

X470D4U paired with a 3700x on last several BIOS's including recent 1.2.0.7 has issues with PBO and CPB enabled. With both off, 100% stable running 24/7 .. that's been my only problem child that upgrading or downgrading the BIOS hasn't resolved the issue. 

/a bit off topic now

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

You should look at max vcore in hwinfo if it does not exceed 1.420 then you have edc bug if you do not use pbo you should not have it.

0 Likes

It is definitely a driver issue. I have fully tested the new drivers for hours in all different configurations.

The 6900xt frequency has increased with these drivers but the power limit has remained causing the stress test to fail every time.

Rolling back to 22.6.1 returned functionality.

I have to add the new drivers when perfected will be a large improvement in performance.

0 Likes

Have to side with @ThreeDee on this one.

I always keep my bios on the latest and greatest. (No betas for bios) Never had any issues doing this on any that I've had in this or my previous rig doing so

-- x570 Tuf gaming plus, x570-e strix gaming

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

If had 22.5.1 installed no issues no black screens but did random stress test that ran for full 10 minutes but then failed once randomly even tho nothing crashed right after it kept passing over and over again not sure if i should be worried.

edit: got told its a known bug not sure if meant just with 22.7.1 or also previous drivers when stress test fails

0 Likes

i did try 22.5.1 and 22.3.1   . black screen still happens randomly.   it seems like 22.3.1 less frequency to occur but still  at least 1 time per day when i am watching Netflix. LOL

My systerm is fine with stress test ( both furmark and 3D marKs) and gaming.

0 Likes
Meowskyy
Adept I

Just wondering do you have instant replay enabled by any chance, If so is it using HEVC or AVC encoding?

0 Likes
Justifier
Challenger

I've had blackscreen issues, and now interestingly *brownscreen* issues, when I try to enable HDR 10 -- yeah idk what is up with that -- since... 22.5--?

It tends to happen every time I've got the full Adrenaline suite installed, normally I just do basic drivers, but AMD had to go all out on this one and add noise suppression... which I kind of *reaaally* want... And to top it off OBS went and added HDR 10 recording support to their 28.0.0-beta1 which I need Adrenaline to enable (which that's not working either ironically lmfao) soooo yeah xD

So far, every time I have issues like this the fix is always to turn off bug/crash reporting, and it stops happening for me.

Justifier_0-1659931871057.png

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
0 Likes
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

New 22.8.1 driver has the same problem how can you release a spider man remastered driver that is this unstable.

I even provided kernel memory dmp file directly to AMD last time.

read more reports of blackscreens with 6900 XT but also with rx 580 now

KabouterPlop1
Challenger

Reading other forums if been seeing more reports about black screens, while some have no issues probably because they are on windows 10 and i am on windows 11 please fix the drivers i cant even play spider man remastered because i do not have the driver for it well i can at cost of it not being optimised or at cost of stability which is not cool.

0 Likes
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

I can speedrun blackscreens triggered by whatsapp video calls now in 22.8.2 within 1 minute avg more or less i do not understand how this issue being ignored this long not just that i read a lot of users reporting black screens during games as well why 3 unstable drivers and so far away from a stable driver with noise supression ?

I have kernel memory dumps i can provide which if already previously send to some one one on reddit named vik

0 Likes
abue919
Adept I

Hey man, I refunded my 6950 xt for this very reason. My solution to this, although not fantastic, it make the GPU usable, to do it do the following.

Set your second screen which is normally lower refresh rate to super resolution and bump it up beyond native resolution so if it's a 1080p screen set it to around 2k 1440p  and all the issues stop in terms of black screens and whatnot. At least, for me they did. Took me 3 months to figure it out, wasted money on a new power supply and I begged support to give my workaround to the devs, seems like they are finally admitting there's a problem with the cards with some screen setups.

FYI, this is not a power issue if you have a 850W supply you should be fine. This is not a cable problem (tested 2 sets of new cables). This whole ordeal cost me around $300 bucks to test and postage to return the card on top of that so, i ended up losing badly trusting team red on this one sadly. I'm still banking that the 7k series won't have these problems since I was considering going with the 4k nvidia series after losing 3-4 months with this card, countless days testing and money on top of that.  

Some people get lucky and it's not an issue with their setups. Why did i return it after finding a workaround, well I was comfortable having spent what I spent on the card and having squint to see stuff on my 1080p screen, there were other minor problems with it but overall, if it works, they're actually pretty fantastic cards and run pretty quiet.

0 Likes