cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

davedave9
Adept I

6800XT Constant driver timeout

Over the past 2 weeks I've consistently gotten apps to crash due to driver timeout, this happens in games, graphics benchmarks and any other graphically intensive tasks such as watching a youtube video on Chrome. My 6800XT is only about 1.5 years old. 

I've tried:

1. Using DDU to fully remove GPU drivers and then tried running an app that used to crash - issue still there
  2. Tried installing older drivers after DDU - same issue
  3. Replaced my PSU - same issue
  4. Used Memtest86 - no issues found
  5. Tried reinstalling windows 11 - same issue
  6. Tried installing windows 10 - same issue
  7. Ran CPU stres test - no issue, no crash
  8. Moved GPU to the second PCI-E slot - same issue

I don't know what to else to try, I'm suspecting it may be the motherboard or even a GPU hardware issue

Is there anything else I could try until I manage to rule out Motherboard or GPU hardware issues?

8 Replies
432hz
Adept II

Did you update your motherboard BIOS and/or chipset drivers before the issue started? From what I understand, Windows 11 can automatically update BIOS in some cases.

I had strange Windows / BIOS lag issues when I had Resizable BAR enabled in combination with the 24.x.x version drivers. Disabling Resizable BAR in BIOS and clean installing 23.12.1 helped me.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
davedave9
Adept I

@432hz thank you for the reply!

I didn’t know your BIOS can be updated from within Windows. This issue came up all of the sudden, I haven’t manually updated anything and no automatic updates were enabled that I’m aware of. I could try to update my BIOS, I’ve never done it before so I’m a little scared of bricking my motherboard.

0 Likes
432hz
Adept II

I understand not wanting to update your BIOS. There is a risk of bricking, particularly if your PC loses power during the update and your mobo doesn't have a BIOS flashback feature of some kind. If you do decide to, there are many guides and I'm sure your mobo manufacturer has a detailed set of instructions.

As a first step, you can simply compare your currently installed BIOS version to the version that was likely installed when you purchased the mobo.

1. Go to your BIOS and note the currently installed BIOS version.
  2. Look at your mobo's downloads page at the list of BIOS versions and corresponding release dates.
  3. Note the BIOS version and date just prior to your mobo purchase date.
  4. Note the most recent non-beta BIOS version and date.
  5. If your currently installed BIOS version number matches the most recent BIOS version number or matches a BIOS version number from a date after your mobo purchase, then it's highly likely your BIOS was automatically updated. Further, if the the most recent BIOS version's release date corresponds to when the issues started and is the version currently installed, I'd say that's a pretty good indicator the BIOS update is contributing to the issue.

A couple other simple things you can try:

1. Disable EXPO / XMP in BIOS
  2. Disable MPO. Simple and easy to revert if you'd like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_xv1Id6UM

davedave9
Adept I

I just updated my BIOS, I had the factory version from 2019, now I have the latest. I also used DDU again and reinstalled graphics and chipset drivers but to no avail :(. I also got a green screen crash before using DDU to reinstall drivers.

I have also disabled MPO and XMP was already disabled, this didn’t fix the issue either.

0 Likes
davedave9
Adept I

My setup is:

1. MSI b450 gaming plus max motherboard
  2. GPU: 6800XT
  3. CPU: 3800X
  4. 850W PSU
0 Likes
432hz
Adept II

Sorry to hear it didn't work.

The only other things to try that come to mind to rule out a hardware issue would be:

1. Does your GPU have a BIOS switch on it? Sometimes GPUs will have "fast" and "slow" BIOS options via this switch. Power down the pc and try toggling the GPU switch to the other option.
  2. Disable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling in Windows (if you have the option).
  3. Try clean installing the GPU drivers using "Driver-only" option from the Adrenalin installer.

If none of those resolve the issue, I'd say it's a pretty good chance it's a hardware issue and you should start the RMA process with AMD.

If a friend has a compatible PC, you can test the GPU there to try to determine if it's mobo or GPU.

0 Likes
rabit
Adept I

Try RMA your GPU

My RX 6800 AMD reference died recently probably factory defect show up after warranty ended.

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-cards/rx-6800-reference-edition-dead-after-warranty-ended/m-p/...

davedave9
Adept I

Thank you for the replies, I don’t actually have a reference card so I won’t be able to get any warranty unfortunately (bought from sketchy reseller).

I tried the BIOS switch on the card to no success, disabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling and installing driver only didn’t work either. 

I think I’ll just have to check for hardware failure, I don’t have any spare parts or second PC so I’ll have to find a PC service shop so they can diagnose.

Thank you @rabit and @432hz!

0 Likes