cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Aeitrium
Adept I

6700xt driver issues, stuttering and varying gpu usage

i apologize in advance for my grammer. ive had a gtx 1070 for years now waiting for gpu's to come down in price, that day was about a week ago. bought myself a 6700xt was worried about the purchase as the vega 64 i use to have was the biggest pain ive suffered from amd. so i get the 6700xt installed, took me awhile but its now up. i installed a couple new drivers and the gpu usage is anywhere from 30 to 100% and it goes up and down constantly creating a stuttering mess when i play alot of older games games upto 4-6 years ago. so i went back to a october driver and it works nearly perfect at around 99% usage yet i cant find any info of ppl having this problem, i have a 8700k so bottleneck is not a problem.  wondering if this problem has been acknowledged and or if this was a fairly recent problem with drivers. im about to put a decent amount of money into a 5800x itx build and i do not want to go through the same thing as the vega 64 incident. ive been trying to get on the amd train for so long but they seem so adamant on derailing it. this problem is not related to the features and options in the amd software side of things such as enhanced sync or chill ive eliminated as many variables as possible.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Aeitrium
Adept I

i downloaded the newest drivers and everything is nearly perfect at this point. seeing expected performance now.  alot less stuttering... u guys have got a new long term customer. not a fan boy but a loyal customer. ive wanted a reason to kiss amd's ass for so long, now i just need some time to pucker up. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

What power plan are you running?
Try on High Performance and see if it helps

Also, what resolution do you use?

0 Likes

i place it in high performance everytime i format my drive and install windows. i use anything from 1440p to 4k medium to ultra settings... 60 fps is a standard that must be reached and yes i use vsync or close enough to it. ive tuned the performance for 1075MV, 2700-2850mhz works just fine, junction temps are fine unless i 4k certain games with certain settings. this gpu has been so screwy since ive got it, i dont know if its a loose connection with riser or wat, imma be switching to a hyte revolt 3 itx case soon anyways. maybe the gpu vibrations from fans are seating the gpu better idk... ive installed 7 different drivers of varying versions, i used ddu everytime. ive been getting very inconsistant performance over the course of last 2-3 days. i was playing far cry 3 i was capable of getting high-very high settings at 4k couple days ago now i can barely hold 1440p. fallout 76 i know not very optimized but certain scenes and placement would net me a lower fps than im getting now by nearly 40% with the same drivers just reinstalled, ats which had some real stutters  so had to reinstall drivers yesterday and now works fine... games have been stable  for nearly last 16 hours or so. still  a much better experience than the vega 64.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What make/model 6700xt are you running?

What power supply make/model are you running and how long have you had it?

a few things to check/do/try if you want .. might help, might not

Make sure your motherboards BIOS is up to date

Make sure you are running separate power cables to each power input on your GPU

IF you are using any kind of extension cables inside your case, try running power directly to your motherboard/GPU

IF you are using a PCIe Riser cable, try plugging the GPU directly into your motherboard

Go to Intel.com and run their "driver update utility" to make sure you have latest chipset drivers installed from Intel 

How are your CPU/GPU temps and airflow?

I've heard/read about this issue with both AMD and Nvidia .. but I don't have a solid answer as to the cause exactly

I run the MSI 6700XT Mech 2X on my all AMD rig and it's a great 1440p card. I only play a hand full of newer games though

IF you are playing at 1080p, maybe for testing purposes enable VSR and run your monitor (desktop) and games at 1440p and see if that does anything

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

1: im running a reference model amd

2: sfx enermax 650 

3: z370i asus... i always make sure everything is upto date, i am meticulous and well organized, my folders folders folders have folders

4:i always run a pcie power cable per 1 gpu connector

5: no extension cables, but i am running riser cable that that i think may have something to do with and am not willing to test the mobo with gpu directly until i get the hyte revolt 3 case as id have to tear entire thing apart,  im running in a itx node 202.

drivers are all upto date

i delidded the 8700k running at 5.0ghz with a shuriken 2 no hotter than 78C (usually) sometimes a bit hotter but not much.

gpu doesnt get hotter than 65-91C Core, junction temp no higher than 95  but running far cry primal at 4k max led to a 112C before crash event, but was more of testing limits and oc at that point.

im not really playing any new games honestly, there mostly upto 4-8 year old games with a handful of newer games, i think the newest ones being forza horizon 5 and red dead 2, ark still pretty demanding regardless of how old it is

0 Likes

yeah some very funky things happening... i tried to replicate a youtube benchmark with same settings for red dead 2 the bench on utube had 58 fps in first scene and around 72 in second my results 6700xt clocked even 200 mhz higher than utube bench had fps around 48 and second scene was around 58... doom(2016) i started up, opengl is the only thing i can get to 60 fps locked, at 4k ultra settings, vulkan at same settings im getting around 45-55 fps and doesnt change even when i lower res which i know should be much higher than that but when i switch to windowed mode i get around 188 fps at 4k ultra.

0 Likes
Aeitrium
Adept I

i downloaded the newest drivers and everything is nearly perfect at this point. seeing expected performance now.  alot less stuttering... u guys have got a new long term customer. not a fan boy but a loyal customer. ive wanted a reason to kiss amd's ass for so long, now i just need some time to pucker up. 

0 Likes