Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Resources

Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Private Messages - How To

Hey Red Team, 

Recently, I've seen a few people comment asking how to access their private messenger option within the Community. Not to worry, I have created this resource for you all to reference moving forward.

Important Note: You will not have the private message option within your settings until you hit community rank Novice II (you can learn more about ranks here). This limitation is in place for everyone's benefit to prevent spamming in private messages. 

Check out the steps below for how to turn on private messages once you pass rank Novice II: 

1. Click on your profile in the top right corner. 
  2. Go to "My Settings" 
  3. Go to "Preferences" 
  4. Go to "Private Messenger" 
  5. Now select "Turn on Private Messages" 

If for some reason you've surpassed rank Novice II and you're still not able to see those settings within your profile, feel free to comment below and we'll be happy to help look into it. 

Cheers! 

- Amber 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
30 Replies

I figured that to have PM privileges you needed to be a certain rank but didn't know which rank.

You should also mention the limitations to PMing to other Users and to the Moderators which I learned the hard way ( - : .

What limitations did you run into @elstaci ? 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

Before the Volunteer Moderator existed I was able to PM multiple persons with one PM message. Now I am restricted only to one PM message per person and only if that person is in my "Friends" list.

Before I was able to PM anyone when I clicked on the "Mail" icon. Now that is gone:

Screenshot 2023-02-27 132602.png

I can send a PM Message by clicking on the User's Profile only if that User has PM Privileges. The only way to find that out is by sending a PM message and seeing if I get an error saying the User doesn't have PM privileges or not.

Before I was able to contact any Moderator's directly without having that Moderator listed as a "Friend" now I can't and again only one PM message per Moderator. So if I need to alert 2 or 3 Moderators concerning an issue with AMD Forum software at the same time I have to first "Friend" the Moderator and then create 2 or 3 clone PM Messages since I am not sure which Moderator would be the one that can help.

AMD_SAM mentioned to me in PM message when I asked him about my limitations and said it to prevent the Moderators and User from being Spammed via PM messaging. That only Volunteer Moderators have less restrictions than Non-Volunteer Moderators.

Which is fine and I understand the logic for the decision but it should be stated when a User first tries to send a PM to someone that AMD should have some sort of HELP Icon explaining how to start a PM and its limitations.

But thanks for asking. I was just surprised by the changes without any type of past or present notifications concerning the new PM rules.

Radeon

Ryzen 3 3250U supremacy
kaitaloipa
Adept II

Hi, the private messaging option still isn't showing up for me.

Screenshot (4).png

7600X CPU, B650 Mobo, RTX 4090

I believe you have to have a certain rank to be able to send and receive Private Messages.

I believe you can send a Private Message by clicking on the AMD Logo and click on "My Profile" and click on the Moderator you want to send a PM to. It will open up to the Moderator's webpage and from there it asks if you want to send a PM.

Screenshot 2023-08-01 082157.png

Same goes to any other Users. Click on the User in a Reply or Thread and click on "View Profile". From there you can send a PM:

Screenshot 2023-08-01 081957.png

Hi, @kaitaloipa 

I just updated your profile, you should be able to send PMs now. 

To send a PM (or to test the feature), simply click on a username, say @Sam_AMD , once you land on his/her profile page, click on the "Send this user a private message" button, which is located on the right side of the page (top widget). Let me know how it goes... 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
Prince117
Adept II

yea I'm not getting that option either.

Prince Ragland

Hi, @Prince117 , nice to e-meet you. 

The PM feature will automatically turn on when you reach the "Novice II" rank. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

But I'm adept 1 lol

Prince Ragland
0 Likes

Oh wow, sorry, my bad. I'll update your account in just a second. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
Dragokar
Miniboss

I don't have that option either.

Hi there, I'm also having this issue. Journeyman III but no options for private message. Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello, @dj4trak @Dragokar @Prince117 

I just updated your accounts and sent you a test PM to make sure it's working. You should see a red circle over an envelope icon on the right-top corner of the page once you log in. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

It is working and thank you for the support.

Lauricimo
Adept I

Hi.
I do not have an option to sent PM at all. Also do not have PM section so see if someone have sent someting to me. Can you please check ?

Good morning, @Lauricimo nice to e-meet you! 

I just updated your profile. You should be able to send PMs and access your messages moving forward. When you have a moment, log out and log back in the community to ensure PM is working. In fact, feel free to reply to the test PM I just sent you. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
PythonCoderPro
Challenger

I'm don't see that option when I follow the instruction listed above. 

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home

Hi, @PythonCoderPro,

Yup, I see why, the feature wasn't automatically enabled for you. I just updated your profile, you should see the feature now. I'm going to send you a test PM in just a moment.

Sam
Your biggest fan!
hawkmanw
Adept III

I’m sorry but I don’t have the private message options either.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI B550 Tomahawk, XFX RX6950XT WB edition, 64G 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V

Hello, Hawkmanw!

I just updated your settings, you're good to go. Please reply to my test PM to confirm the feature is working. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
Oorado
Adept I

Hi there, I'm also having this issue. Journeyman III but no options for private message. Any help would be much appreciated

marebello
Adept I

Greetings from 2024! I've hit Journeyman III, but I still do not have access to the private messaging feature. My thanks for any help you can provide. 🙂

0 Likes

Happy New Year @marebello 

I just updated your profile. I turned on the Private Message feature, let me know if it worked... 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

I just sent you a test message. It's working perfectly now! 😎👌

0 Likes
Mption
Adept II

I believe i am in the same boat, do not see it in my preferences options. Is it its own tab, or on a page i am possibly missing?

•  
  •  
0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Good morning, @Mption 

I have updated your profile accordingly. You now have Private Messaging enabled. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Thanks a ton Sam!

0 Likes
fean98
Adept III

There is no Private Messenger tab for me.

0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Good morning, @fean98 

I just updated your profile! Private Message has been enabled. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes