cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Resources

LinuxBoy_1
Journeyman III

I Have an Idea for AMD

Hi, I'm new here and since this week I'm also the owner of a new 8700G.

That been said, I got the idea that AMD could have a "GX" lineup.

These would be all very high TDP CPU, like 125W on average, but 75-80% of the die and power is used by the iGPU.

These CPU would push the enveloppe of what is possible in term of officially supported RAM speed at the moment of their release. Today that would be 7000-7200mhz at least.

I could really get something like that to use and I would like to make AMD aware that at leat one person (me) would love that.

4 Replies
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Very interesting concept. I'd love to see you elaborate a bit more for the average user to understand what you are saying. Especially with what AMD is doing with stacking the chips and making more room on the die. Something that probably wasn't a possibility before the last few years.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
LinuxBoy_1
Journeyman III

@mengelag 

Well, it's not that complicated. However, even if staking the chip would help, it's not really the basis of the idea.

See, a lot of applications really do need mainly GPU kind of power. It can be Gaming, Scientific and AI in a server or supercomputer, or just CGI and graphical creations.

The point is that either the user needs a small and efficient form factor, is conscious about the cost and power efficiency, or it is easier and more straightforward to design from an architectural point for servers and supercomputers. I think there is a need to condense everything into one single chip, not only because of the current GPU prices.

For my needs, I assume an APU with a 125W TDP, of which around 85W is dedicated to the GPU and the rest to the CPU would be perfect. Six cores are fine.

Because GPU memory in an APU is also the RAM, it would need official support for extremely fast RAM to not bottleneck the performance.

The idea of combining the functionality of the CPU and GPU into one package (the APU as it were) is where we are heading with the current development.  I think that @LinuxBoy_1 is onto an idea that pushes the GPU functionality more than the CPU functionality and that might be appropriate for a gaming system.  I don't know much about the small hand-held gaming computers that are out now, but I bet ramping up their core counts and shaders, etc. if more power were available might get us there.  But would this new 'super chip' cost us an arm and a leg?  Can you combine the power of a $350 CPU and a $700 GPU into one package and sell it for under $500?  How do you deal with the heat?  

Maybe this is an idea that will come with further reductions in process size.  Can we get below 1 nm?  We are almost talking about traces that are only a few atoms in width.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

This is technically possible and very doable but is it worth it yet? Is the market ready?
In a couple or more years I think it will, but not yet.

There was a concept some years back, that Intel added a good AMD iGPU for NUC hardware.

johnnyenglish_0-1709307224044.png

Keep in mind this will completely wipe out entry to mid level cards as they get better, I replied in another topic about this. In the future, RX6400 cards plus RTX3050 won't make any sense. Eventually 6600 and 4060 lineup will fade away too!

For now, 8700G is doing allright for the entry level or esports player. All you need now is a NUC rocking it so you can play that Rocket League in your TV without a big fancy computer case nearby blasting RGB everywhere.

In the end, custom PC building will be reserved for enthusiasts that buys high and flagship products, and thats OK.

The Englishman