Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

peterwishart
Adept I

Multi vendor OpenCL install issue

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on an issue I'm experiencing.

System is an Asus P8Z77-V LK mainboard with Ivy Bridge i3770 CPU and a Radeon HD7970 GPU.

Using just drivers from Windows Update I am able to get OpenCL working on 4 devices: The AMD CPU+GPU devices, Intel CPU device and Intel IGP device. Tools used to check OpenCL devices were clinfo.exe, GPU-Z, GPU Caps Viewer and LuxMark64.

Steps are:

• Install Windows 8 with HDMI display connected to IGP only and IGP as primary display in BIOS
  • Disable Windows Update and automatic driver checks during the Windows install
  • Install Intel MEI and Intel Graphics drivers from windows update
  • Install Catalyst driver (atiumdag 9.2.0.0 (Catalyst 12.10))
  • Install APP SDK 2.8

At this point I can use all 4 OpenCL devices. Performance for each single device is plausable (comparable to online benchmark scores, can observce the  devices heating up when used).

However if I reboot, the Intel Ivy Bridge IGP becomes unavailable for OpenCL. I tried a system restore, reinstalling the drivers, using latest drivers but can't get it back.

And the reason I'm posting this *here* is that if, between installing Catalyst from windows update and rebooting, I disable service 'AMD External Events Utility', it all works fine with all OpenCL devices remaining functional.

It seems the connection to rebooting the PC is that this service is not started by the WU installation but is set to start automatically by it, so starts after the next reboot.

Questions:

Is this a known issue? I'm sure I've seen other postings with similar issues but no resolution.

Can anyone shed some light on what the service in question is for?

I'd also like to know what the service may be doing which causes this behaviour. I'm assuming its some sort of switching of the primary adapter in windows independently of the BIOS setting, or some persistent reallocation of a resource that causes the IGP OpenCL to fail. Maybe there are some commands I can use to revert whatever it sets?

Regardless, it doesn't appear that I can gain a massive performance boost via using both GPUs together, but I thought this configuration would be useful for testing OpenCL code.

Cheers,

Peter

0 Likes
9 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

peterwishart wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on an issue I'm experiencing.

System is an Asus P8Z77-V LK mainboard with Ivy Bridge i3770 CPU and a Radeon HD7970 GPU.

Using just drivers from Windows Update I am able to get OpenCL working on 4 devices: The AMD CPU+GPU devices, Intel CPU device and Intel IGP device. Tools used to check OpenCL devices were clinfo.exe, GPU-Z, GPU Caps Viewer and LuxMark64.

4 Devices?? Are you talking about two separate system:

1. AMD CPU + AMD GPU

2. Intel ivy CPU + AMD GPU

I will try to reproduce it some time next week.

0 Likes

Hi Himanshu,

Sorry I meant to say "working on all four devices", as in, I can choose from four available OpenCL devices on a single PC system:

1. Intel driver for the CPU
  2. AMD driver for the CPU
  3. Intel driver for the HD Graphics 4000 IGP
  4. AMD driver for the Radeon HD7970 discrete GPU

Cheers,

Peter

OK. Thanks for clarifying. Can you explain how do you check what all devices are available for OpenCL?

Atleast clinfo is not suitable as it crashes because of a already known issue.

0 Likes

I used GPU-Z for a quick check, but I did double check using GPU caps viewer, LuxMark and clinfo.

0 Likes

Hi,

It took me sometime, because of other issues, but I was finally able to create a similar setup, without any issues.

My observations:

1. Had a system without any GPU, and display running using intel's iGPU. Installed Intel HD Graphics Driver and Intel OpenCL SDK. clinfo displayed both iGPU and the intel i7 CPU.

2. Insert AMD 7770 (capeverde) in PCI slot, and attach another monitor to it. Reboot. Display goes to monitor attached to AMD GPu, and only intel CPU is shown in clinfo. (AMD Driver was not installed so far). This happens because iGPU was not select as primary video adapter in BIOS.

3. Fixed BIOS, and now display comes to intel's iGPU, and iGPU and CPU are shown as Intel's OpenCL devices.

4. Now installed AMD Catalyst 13.3 beta 2 graphics driver, and rebooted. clinfo now shows all 4 devices: 2 in AMD platform (7770 and CPU) and 2 in Intel platform(HD 4000, CPU).

5. I even removed the monitor from AMD GPU now. And I still got 4 OpenCL devices in clinfo.

clinfo output, System Details, and GPU-z results are attached, along with a small utility code(similar to clinfo, but only prints relevent info).

Thank you Himanshu!

Very much appreciated, I have all 4 devices working on my main rig at the moment but I don't know exactly what I did to get it to work. Your steps seem fairly straightforward so I'm not sure why I had so many issues .

In your tests did you omit the windows update versions of the graphics drivers, & do you recall what intel driver version and OS you got it working with?

I'm still intrigued as to what specifically caused the IGP OpenCL support only to appear to turn off in my original test steps, did you try those exact steps?

Cheers,

Peter

0 Likes

Hi,

Check the system details file in the attachment. I did not installed intel's driver using windows update.

I just downloaded the driver from intel's site. Version number : Intel 9.17.10.2932 HD driver

Actually I had tried the latest OpenCL SDK (downloaded yesterday only ), where iGPU was a OpenCL 1.1 device and CPU was OpenCL 1.2 device. Not sure if you tried the same.

0 Likes
timchist
Elite

Hi Peter,

I'm having similar problems on Windows 7: http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1287728

Did not try drivers from Windows updates, only used what both manufacturers recommend (...2932 from Intel and Catalyst 13.1).

Stopping the AMD External Events Utility service did not change anything once all drivers are installed, even after disabling Radeon in device manager and rebooting the system. So it may be something else...

0 Likes

Hi Tim, thanks, I already posted a "me too" on your thread

Check that post for some suggestions to get the IGP OpenCL working again.

It does seem puzzling that two bits of year-old tech don't work together correctly... must be a reason for it!!

0 Likes