cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ivalylo
Journeyman III

CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE - will it be increased in feature?

I'm working on a problem that needs a huge array and the 128MB limit is really to small for me . I was wandering if this limit will be increased in the feature versions, or I can't rely on that.

0 Likes
7 Replies
rick_weber
Adept II

You can play with environment variables to use more of your GPU's memory.

export GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=80

export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_SIZE=80

This will allow you to use 80% of your GPU's memory. I've noticed some speed degredation when setting this too high, but your milage may vary.

0 Likes

10x. I didn't know about GPU_MAX_ALLOC_SIZE

0 Likes

I also can't pass over this 128MB (very small in my opinion) even when playing with these two environment variables.
0 Likes

It worked for me. Now I can make allocations up to 204MB (from total 819MB). This is on windows 7 with 5970. With GTX 470, I can allocate I think something like 300MB. 

0 Likes

I am not sure if the environment variable is documented somewhere. If such is the case, it might be for experimental purpose and cannot be guaranteed to be available in future.  

0 Likes

Yep, but I guess no one will tell us what will be in future, so for developing purpose it's better than nothing...

0 Likes

GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE is documented here http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=123

and GPU_MAX_ALLOC_SIZE AFAIK don't work anymore.

0 Likes