Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

sunsetquest
Adept II

AMD GCN4 ISA specification?

AMD Team,

Now that Polaris has been released, can developers have access to the GCN4 Instruction Set Architecture specification? 

I looked around and can only find previous generation GPU GCN ISA documentation.

Maybe it is posted but I am not seeing it or the Polaris Architecture uses GCN3? (ISA already posted)

Thank you.

Ryan

0 Likes
1 Solution
bridgman
Staff

IIRC the Polaris shader core uses the same ISA as Stoney Ridge, which in turn is only slightly different (maybe zero difference, will check) from the rest of the VI family so not worth a new ISA guide. Polaris is largely backwards-compatible with earlier parts... the HW changes were aimed at faster execution rather than different functionality.

The LLVM compiler source has been updated to include Polaris support.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
bridgman
Staff

IIRC the Polaris shader core uses the same ISA as Stoney Ridge, which in turn is only slightly different (maybe zero difference, will check) from the rest of the VI family so not worth a new ISA guide. Polaris is largely backwards-compatible with earlier parts... the HW changes were aimed at faster execution rather than different functionality.

The LLVM compiler source has been updated to include Polaris support.

Thank you for getting back to me. Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town.

I'll reference the GCN3 manual for Polaris.

It’s kind of nice that the instruction set/machine format has not changed much as it’s sometimes a pain for some developers to repair the current low-level stuff when they could be working on new things. GCN3 was a major instruction set/machine format update just last year and I still need to adjust some of code for that!

Best Regards.

Ryan(posted 9:51 AM PST)

0 Likes

Hello, Will there be any new ISA posted for the vega architecture?  

0 Likes

Yes - an ISA guide for Vega is being worked on. Don't have an ETA yet but it is fairly far along.

Nice - thanks for the fast reply.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

0 Likes

This is great news!

0 Likes