cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Discussions

webmaster-exit-1
Journeyman III

7900 XTX crashing

My AMD 7900 XTX crashes all the time running LLM's and Stable Diffusion. With ROCm installed correctly. Paired w/ Ryzen 7 and 64g Ram. On Arch Linux. So why does AMD's top of the line GFX card need almost 5 hard reboots every day? Sometimes more. It feels like my RX 6800 & RX 570 ran better.

My build:
Chassis: PHANTEKS G500A - BLACK

GPU: AMD RADEON RX 7900 XTX

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS WiFi 2

Memory: 64GB META DDR4 2400MHz (4x16GB)

Cooling: DEEPCOOL AK620 - ZERO DARK

Power Supply: META 1000W

Fans: Bequite Silent Wings 4 140MM Fans x 6

Operating System: Arch Linux (Not a n00b)

So I clearly have a decent setup; so why? Why does it seem this gfx card struggles so hard? What is with the constant crashing or freezing up needing hard reboot? I have no clue on where to begin fixing this expensive piece of hardware. I choose AMD all the time when I have the choice. But, I'm starting to regret it. Is there a guide to the best settings? Maybe environment variables I'm unaware of? Anything? I'm willing to put in the work and compile whatever from scratch without help. Just point me to some documentation and source code. I'll get it done. Anyone? Help me, help myself. Please.

N. W.
0 Likes
4 Replies
webmaster-exit-1
Journeyman III

Note: I'm not looking for someone to fix anything for me. I'm competent and capable of fixing things myself. I just don't know where to start.

N. W.
0 Likes

Just to rule out any other issues have you tried using just 2 DDR4 RAM sticks to see if it could be the RAM that is causing system instability. I would say it's worth at least testing that to see if you experience the same crashing issues.

0 Likes

I have tried. Same issue. When running software like stable-diffusion, or recently anything... My day will consist of hard rebooting about 2/3 times within 2 hrs of using the PC.

N. W.
0 Likes
webmaster-exit-1
Journeyman III

I don't know what it is about the RX 7900 XTX but there's something seriously flawed with this graphics card at least running on Linux something is wrong.

Then when I look at the ads or articles about AMD and AI I just I roll my eyes now. I just don't see it happening. When my Rx 570 and 6800 run better than 7900 XTX there's a problem.

And what's worse is I think AMD is keeping quiet about the problem and not letting us the users know about it.

But that's just me talking with a tin foil hat on.

All I want is to learn how to fix this graphics card I spent so much money on. I shouldn't have to want to learn how to fix anything. it should work. I'm a Linux user and that's why I choose to buy AMD products. I'm starting to regret it.

N. W.
0 Likes