4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2009 5:06 PM by jim.conyngham@amd.com

confusing version naming

domel

What is the difference bewteencontents-acml-4-1-0-ifort-64bit.tgz and contents-acml-4-1-0-ifort-64bit-int64.tgz?

I could not find and explanation in obvious places like release notes or documentation.

• confusing version naming
          chipf
          These files result after you untar the download file and are part of the installation.
          The *-int64.tgz file is the integer64 version of the library. You should also find corresponding install* scripts in that directory, and you can install both libraries to your system. See section 2.6 in the ACML documentation which describes the 64-bit integer versions.

It is a bit confusing, but just remember that the default library (the ones that are named *64bit.tgz, use 32-bit INTEGERs by default.
          The default library is built for 64-bit compilers on 64-bit OS's, but the fortran compilers still use 32-bit integers by default.
          If you need integers larger than 2147483648, or have to index arrays with more elements than that, then you should use the -int64 versions.

gastontkm

Originally posted by: chipf These files result after you untar the download file and are part of the installation. The *-int64.tgz file is the integer64 version of the library. You should also find corresponding install* scripts in that directory, and you can install both libraries to your system. See section 2.6 in the ACML documentation which describes the 64-bit integer versions. It is a bit confusing, but just remember that the default library (the ones that are named *64bit.tgz, use 32-bit INTEGERs by default. The default library is built for 64-bit compilers on 64-bit OS's, but the fortran compilers still use 32-bit integers by default. If you need integers larger than 2147483648, or have to index arrays with more elements than that, then you should use the -int64 versions.

Hi.

thanks for that explanation. It's not obvious from the beginning and made me think of "intel 64" as in itanium64bit vs. EM64t...

one more question: Is it safe to install the int64 version? I mean: Do programs crash, if people run code with integers, where they think int=32bit?

Or is it safe to install the 64bit with int32 version? I mean: Do programs crash, if people think the library was int64?

The first options, installing int64 version seems safer to me, right?

Greetings,...

Hello Gaston,

Installing a 64-bit library is "safe" in that it won't make any programs crash, because you cannot accidently link a 32-bit program with a 64-bit library.  The link will fail.

-------------------------
                  This response is provided for informational purposes only, is provided “AS IS” and does not obligate AMD to provide any of the services, technology, or programs described.

Gaston,

Please ignore my previous post.  I did not understand your question, so I gave you the wrong answer.

Yes, you do have to worry about cross-linking int32 and int64 libraries.

I apologize for the confusion.

-------------------------
                      This response is provided for informational purposes only, is provided “AS IS” and does not obligate AMD to provide any of the services, technology, or programs described.