Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

nberger
Adept I

Freezes and memory overwrites on Linux

Hi!
I have built a framework for partial wave analysis based on brook. Under Windows, things are running fine and fast. Recently, I have tried migrating to Linux (Scientific Linux CERN 5.2, based on Red Hat Enterprise 5) recently. With Catalyst 8.6 I got everything up and running nicely. I have several example programs differing mainly in the size and amount of lookup tables, i.e. gather streams. While the smaller examples run fine, from a certain size on upwards (e.g. 7 2D tables with 8192x10 entries), I observe that kernel calls overwrite parts of the lookup tables, at least on two machines with 3870 cards. On my new machine with a 4870, things look ok. In addition, when I delete streams (I directly use the stream class), I can completely freeze the boxes with 3870 - they will neither respond to local nor ssh input, including ctrl-alt-backspace and ctrl-alt-delete. Again on the 4870 box this does not happen (even for considerably larger lookups). Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any ideas of workarounds?

Nik
0 Likes
2 Replies

Hi Nik,

Not sure what the cause is. Can you try this again in 2 weeks with AMD Stream SDK v1.2-beta and Catalyst 8.8? I'd be interested in seeing if that causes your 3870s to work.

Michael.
0 Likes
nberger
Adept I

Hi Michael!
I will definitely give it a try...
Cheers

Nik
0 Likes