2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2008 3:19 PM by fswehosky

"The start trace point was not encountered" message

btr_
      Cant perform pipeline simulation

CodeAnalyst error appears with message "The start trace point was not encountered in the execution..." although start trace point is setted and is on line that sure was executed in prev runs of profiler (with TBP and EBP).

My setting are:
      60s profile duration, 10-199 x1000 (tried different values) max instructions to trace,
      continue application after trace has completed on

But whole run takes few seconds. Some window with fast scrolling text line appears then almost immediately closes and I get that error message. Moreover the program I try to profile isn't run after session termination.
      With other profiles it runs fine and stays runned (as settings say) after profile session termination.

Please advise what I doing wrong?
        • "The start trace point was not encountered" message

I also have a similar issue with "The start trace point was not encountered in the execution..." I am profiling the performance of some SSE code in a dll file, which is called by a exe file. Even after setting the starting and ending trace points, the profiling doesn't seem to execute the code between the trace points. However, when I used the Time Based Profling, the code was called and I could see how mcuh time was spent in the hot spot.

• "The start trace point was not encountered" message

First, the start trace point needs to be on a particular instruction address that is executed.  If the start trace point is set on a source line, it will automatically map to the first address that the debugging information maps to the source line.  Due to optimizations, some instructions are mapped to an incorrect line or the first instruction address mapped to a line is not executed.  I would turn on viewing the assembly of the source file and ensure that the particular instruction of the start trace point is executed. 

If the instruction at the start trace point is not executed, the tracing never begins, so instructions after it may be executed but not traced.

Second, the settings for the simulation configuration are different than the profile configurations.  The profile duration is ignored.  I tend to use the "Current simulation profile" configuration.  If you want the application to continue after the trace is complete, check the "Continue application after trace has completed?" box, which it sounds like you're doing.  In the Session Settings dialog, is the correct application (the one that calls your dll) launching?

Does this make sense?