2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2007 7:19 PM by ujoimro

Installing CodeAnalyst on Linux

quickk
      Can't get it to work

Hi,

I've been trying to install CodeAnalyst for the last 2 days without any success. I've tried on 2 different machines: one running ubuntu 7.10 and the other running opensuse 10.3.

On the ubuntu attempt, I think that I did manage to get it installed, but each time I try to run a simulation, it gives me this error message:

Code Analyst Daemon Failed to start

Reason:
      Couldn't Determine Kernel Version.

On the suse machine, I've tried compiling both the 2.6 and 2.5 versions from scratch and always get stuck at the ./configure step. The error is:

checking for GNU libc compatible malloc... yes
      checking for poptGetContext in -lpopt... no
      configure: error: popt library not found usually part of libpopt-dev

The thing is that I already have the popt library (ver. 1.7) installed. I really don't know how to fix this.

I also tried using the rpm file to install directly. Using the 2.5 version, I got error messages about missing libbfd-2.15. On my system I have version 2.17 of this file, so I made a link to this version, and after installing a few other libraries that were missing I thought that I had it installed finally. Upon starting the Codeanalyst program, I then got an error
      This kernel does not support profiling with oprofile
      or something like that. I don't understand what went wrong.

I also tried the 2.6 rpm, and then I get the same error about libbfd missing. I tried the same trick as before but it does not work.

Anyway, I'm now extremely frustrated. I'd really like some help getting this thing to work. Thanks.
        • Installing CodeAnalyst on Linux
          leiy
          Current CodeAnalyst (2.5 and 2.6) were not tested on Ubuntu distro. We will add UBunto support in our next release.

You need to install popt-dev library (not just the runtime) to build from source.
          • Installing CodeAnalyst on Linux
            ujoimro
            Apparently You can run CodeAnalyst on a kernel which supports debugging. I don't think, that default Ubuntu kernel would. In SuSE I have read that SMP and Debug kernel supports. If the oprofile support is not compiled into the kernel, the /dev/oprofile/{0,1,2} directory is not created and oprofile will not collect any samples.