r.ted.byers@rogers.com

g2c problem moving from gcc 3.4.4 to gcc 4.2.1

Discussion created by r.ted.byers@rogers.com on Sep 4, 2007
Latest reply on Dec 4, 2007 by pauliez
g2c was part of gcc's fortran in version 3.4.4 but not in gcc 4.2.1

There is a change in gcc fortran starting with version 4 that breaks the Gnu examples provided for ACML. g2c was part of gnu fortran in version 3.4.4, and earlier, but in version 4 (I have gcc 4.2.1) it no longer exists. Therefore, make fails with the provided Gnumakefile complaining that -lg2c can't be found, and if -lg2c is removed, make fails with linker errors related to undefined symbols (symbols that would have been taken from lg2c.

Is AMD going to fix the GnuMakefile, and related source code in the examples directory, to take into account this fundamental difference between gcc 3.4.4 and gcc 4.2.1? Is there an easy fix I can apply without too much pain.

I gon't do a lot of FORTRAN coding any more, since I can get faster code using C++ template metaprogramming, but it would be nice to be able to have it fully working so I can continue to benchmark my C++ code against my fortran code.

BTW: I also develop using MS Visual Studio 2005, and will be using ACML with it, so gcc isn't my only suite of tools.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ted

Outcomes