cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ethanhooker
Adept I

5700 XT Black Screen and Flickering

I am having issues with what I think is the Radeon Drivers. My monitor will go black often (every 5 minutes or so) while gaming and flicker while not gaming (every 5 minutes or so again). The sound stays working, everything else on the PC seems to be working. It will black screen for around 5 seconds. 

Here is my current setup

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI

Ram: HyperX Fury 16GB RAM

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G5 80+

To Note

I have noted that often when it black screens, the CPU seems to have a little spike. It will often occur watching a replay, opening the menu, loading the main screen of a game etc.. Does this seem to correlate with "task switching"?

The Temps don't really go above 70 for both CPU and GPU (using MSIAfterBurner)

Benchmark

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/34705783 

What I have tried

• Drivers have been updated to the latest (20.9.2).
  • Have completed a full re-install of the drivers (and used the official cleanup tool before re-installing).
  • Tried different PSU
  • Tried different AMD GPU (R9 380X)
  • The monitor worked fine on another setup using the same 240Hz (using the same cable)
  • Tried different PCI-E Slot
  • Reverted Ram settings back to default in BIOS
  • BIOS is updated with the latest
  • All Chipsets are updated with their latest
  • GPU BIOS is up to date (attached image)
  • MSIAfterBurner changes, under-volting, lower Core Clock, faster Fans etc..

Throughout all of the tests above it still behaves the same. This leads me to believe it's a core driver issue, which I can't fix. Would have me moving over to the green team

Are there some tests/changes I can do that may fix my issues?

Thanks in advance!

9 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

What is your monitor and how many? Have you tested the system with only one monitor? Have you just connected the system to only a good TV via HDMI and tested it? Did you test with a different display cable?

Tried different AMD GPU (R9 380X)... What is the result of this test? 

0 Likes

I have only one monitor, it is a ASUS ROG STRIX XG258.

The Monitor I have used on another system and worked fine (with 240fps). Using the same HDMI cable as I used with my successful monitor test on the other system.

The result from the R9 380X was the same, would black screen during what I assume was task switching. and random screen flickers

Thank you for helping me out!

Could the problem be a 240fps monitor? If the problem is 240fps, you can report an error with that... https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

Please install 20.10.1 version and try disable freesync and try again. Maybe it will work.

0 Likes
zhang139z
Journeyman III

It has been more than a year and they have not repaired it. I think it may be a hardware defect, but there seems to be only one version that does not show these symptoms for more than 15 days. Other drivers will have screen flickering and black screen death every day. Now using the latest driver of 20.10.1,I also tried to change the card to another computer, and also tried the graphics card such as Sapphire R9 290, but the R9 290 did nothing. Please don’t hesitate to return the card. After more than 1 year, the efficiency is no longer a normal product.,AMD ATI No

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Can you try disabling the In-Game Overlay? This option can be found in Radeon Software under the Settings > General option. 

0 Likes
roman_cz
Adept I

I had exactly the same problem. I tried many tutorials how to. Nothing helped. I was so angry. I sold this card and bought rtx 2060.  Problem is gone. 

0 Likes
ethanhooker
Adept I

Hey All,

I have disabled free sync and this had made it way better. I guess trying to free synch so many frames a second ruined it somehow??  I will keep playing for a few days before posted this was the solution

What is the problem? FreeSync not working properly with 240FPS? Or does the problem exist when 120FPS is selected? Contact AMD support. Probably the driver is corrupt for your hardwares and waiting to be fixed.

0 Likes