cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

santacruzin
Journeyman III

RX580 with three merged monitors is slightly over-zoomed laterally. I can only see the right edge of the program list on the left side of the left monitor.

I set up a new machine for racing and flying sims:

ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490 MB

i9-10900K Core

32GB RAM

XFX 580 GTS GPU

Three TLC 43" 4K TVs 

Using the AMD software, I'm able to get all three TV's to act as one (I don't have the system in front of me, but I think the resolution indicated is something like 5800x1900), however Windows 10 is slightly zoomed in.  When I hit the Windows key to pull up the program list, it's mostly off the left side of the left-most screen.  I've played with resolution settings in the TV menus and scoured the AMD software without success.  Any ideas?  It's really aggravating...

3 Replies

I feel your pain.

AMD removed the option to adjust for overscan scaling options a long time ago, in 2016. I believe 16.4 was the first driver without. In their infinite wisdom I guess they believe it is up to the TV or monitor to bridge this gap. They never explained this move to my knowledge. 

Intel and Nvidia still give great options for micro tuning the fit on your TV. 

TLC is know for having about the worst scaling options out there.

You unfortunately as you have found out have likely combined the two worst options to get the scaling to your liking. If this is a new card you might want to return it for one that gives you scaling options. 

I can certainly see why it is so aggravating.

How can such simple functionality be needed? LOL 

Feel free to report to AMD why their lack of options is creating such hardship for your setup:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.  I chose the AMD card thinking it would be an affordable stand-in while waiting for the coveted RTX 30XX GPUs to get back in stock.  The price of the TLC TVs along with their 100 Hz refresh rate seemed like the way to go, but my inexperience showed when it didn't occur to me to look into scaling from either the TV firmware or the GPU driver software.  It's 2020, I just figured it would all work.

From your comments, I took a cursory look into affordable (and available) triple-monitor NVIDIA-based 8 GB GPUs to replace the AMD while waiting for an RTX, and there doesn't seem to be anything immediately out there.  I'll keep looking.  I might have to drop to 4 GB which I suppose wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm going to write to AMD, thanks for the link.  This sim is being built for my 87 year old dad who had to recently give up driving, and who was a Navy pilot in the 50's.  He's pretty much stuck at the house when I'm at work, and I wanted to give him something to critically focus on (I also bring in complex Lego models, he loves them).   Building the box and simulator hardware (flying: yoke, pedals, autopilot, switch panel, more to come. Driving: force feedback wheel, pedals, shifter) has been a fun project for us, and getting stuck in the water by such an unnecessary shortcoming by AMD (and to a lesser extent TLC) was an unfortunate surprise.

I don't think it is anything you should have had to think of. Honestly the TV makers and AMD are the ones letting you down. 

Awesome idea to keep Dad sharp and occupied. My father is in his 80's too and literally rear ended someone on his way back home last Sunday the got home and drove the car through the back wall of the garage. As they say it is hell getting old! I don't feel I am to far behind him and I know he was in better shape at my age than me. 

Good luck with the project and Dad. I wish you all the best!

0 Likes