cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

smithd
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 5900x - cooler requirements

The Ryzen 9 5900x does not come with a cooler like the 3900x did. I have not seen any recommendation for 5900x coolers. The 5900x and 3900x seem to share similar thermal profiles. Would the Wraith Prism LED Cooler that the 3900x uses work well on the 5900x? I see it for sale on Amazon for $45.

0 Likes
5 Replies

According to this website, AIO CPU Coolers are the best type to use on the new Zen 3 CPU processors: Best CPU Cooler for AMD Ryzen 9 5900X – Accessories Tested 

AMD doesn't bundle CPU Coolers anymore with the Zen 3 Processors since AMD says the majority of Users tend to install their own 3rd party CPU Coolers.

This Gaming website says that Liquid Coolers are best for Zen 3 processors but also High End AIR CPU Coolers: AMD's high-end Ryzen 5000 CPUs don't come with coolers because they're 'optimised for enthusiasts' |... 

-

You can try Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or similar type Air CPU Cooler. The Hyper 212 is for a Processor with a TDP of 150 Watts. It cost less than a AMD Prism. Noctua is another that sells High Wattage Air CPU Coolers but are more expensive.

With High end Air CPU Coolers you must be aware of the size of the CPU Cooler and if it will fit in your Computer case or not.

smithd
Journeyman III

Thanks, your search worked better than mine. Mine just kept coming back with info 5900x did not come with a cooler. I wanted to avoid a liquid cooler if possible. Since AMD provided an air cooler for the 3900x I assumed a liquid cooler was not necessary unless you were an extreme gamer. I do not plan to seriously overclock and am not an extreme gamer. I noticed the site only recommended liquid coolers for both the 5900x  and 3900x. My heaviest use would mostly be Destiny 2, MS Flight Simulator, VR and 4k video editing running at 4k 60 fps. That being the case air cooled "should" work.

Suspect real reason the 5900x does not come with a cooler is AMD trying to meet price point. Thanks also on pointers for selecting air coolers. All CPU I have purchased in the past came with cooler as standard part. It has been a while since I built my last PC.

0 Likes

can they fit with ryzen 5 3400g

0 Likes
Barlasam
Adept I

Just buy a 240mm AIO if your case allow you can go bigger, but the 240mm would keep the Temps under control. You can also use a beefy Air Cooler, for about the same price, as a decent 240mm AIO. Max temps will be similar between the 2.  With the Air Cooler you would see a Rapid Increase in the Temps, but then it stabilizes, while AIO takes much longer to get to that level. Hope this helps.

blazek
Volunteer Moderator

Yes, the Wraith Prism would work, if you have it then use it but if you don't have a cooler get the Deepcool Gammaxx 400, it's only $30 and worth the price.

0 Likes