AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problem to resume from sleep mode with AMD Ryzen 5 and Radeon Vega graphics?

Question asked by ermensw on Oct 15, 2020
Latest reply on Oct 26, 2020 by ermensw

Hi,

I have a recent Lenovo laptop with a AMD Ryzen 5 processor, together with AMD Radeon Vega Mobile graphics.

I recently update Windows 10 to the new 2004 version. I also updated the AMD graphics driver (together with a whole bunch of software) to Radeon Software Adrenaline 2020, edition 20.something (downloaded 2 weeks ago).

When I now close the laptop screen, computer enters Sleep mode. When I re-open the laptop and put it on again, I see the backlight of the screen goes on, but the screen remains black. Only thing you can do is hard reset the computer. This is of course a very annoying problem for a laptop, because in practise you need to reboot, login and open your applications again every time you stop working, even for a short time. It also happens when you manually put your computer into Sleep mode, by using the Windows, On/Off menu.

I found a utility that could totally remove the Radeon Software Adrenaline and driver. Then I get a standard Windows VGA driver as display card in Device Manager. Strangely enough, at this moment, there is no Sleep mode anymore, only Hibernate. And also the computer doesn't freeze anymore, but of course not a good situation to leave the laptop installed in. I reinstalled the graphics driver and the problems appears again.

Does anybody has experience with this same problem? And to AMD: is that a known issue with this combination of OS and Graphics driver?

best regards,

Wim

Outcomes