cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tfuto
Journeyman III

Different RAM clock and/or CAS latency per channel for Ryzen 3700X?

I currently have 2x16GB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM installed. I would like to add 2x32 GB, without sacrificing the performance of the original 2x16GB. My questions:

1. Is this configuration possible?( 2x16GB + 2x32GB)

2. Are the two RAM channel completely independent? (Can they run on different clocks, and have different CAS latency?)

3. Specifically,
  3a. Can I add 2x32 GB with lower clock frequency (e.g.3200 Mhz) and keep the 2x16GB RAM performance?
  3b. Can I add 2z32 GB with a different CAS latency and keep the 2x16GB RAM performance?
  3c. Would for example an addition of 2666 MGz CL19 RAM affect in any way the performance of the 3600 MHz CL16 RAM?

4. If adding a different frequency RAM with different CAS latency possible, what is the best way to populate the RAM channels?

5. How can I tell the OS to use the fast RAM for OS and the slower RAM for caching, memory filesystem, etc. (Win10)

0 Likes
1 Reply

RAM runs at the lowest common speed, you don't have one channel or even one module running faster or slower than the rest, which means all of your RAM would run at 2600 CL19, and you would lose about...1-3% performance based on the task.

0 Likes