AnsweredAssumed Answered

Large L3 cache for a single thread run(s)

Question asked by zinnia on Oct 13, 2020
Latest reply on Oct 15, 2020 by zinnia

Hi!
I'm looking for a CPU that would best suit for our scientific computing demand: We are running a large MCMC simulation model. The MCMC doesn't vectorise, thus we are essentially taking about optimising single thread performance. In practice, though, we need to run at least 2 parallel chains in separate threads. The amount of L3 cache that a thread can utilise is the most crucial feature in determining the run speed (considering that the clock rates tend to be high overall). I've only recently understood that AMD CPU's contain core complexes, and thus, e.g. 64MB in Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3945WX cannot be fully utilised in a single thread run, but could be used for running 4 threads each with 16MB L3. Is this correct?
Furthermore, the upcoming Zen3 / Ryzen 5xxx take the decision making into next level. Which one of the versions would maximize the L3 per thread in practice? What CPU would you recommend for us?
Any other points and recommendations are welcome! Thank you in advance!

(P.S. Sorry if this goes a bit off topic in server guru's site. I was directed here by AMD:s tech support. Hope you can guide me anyhow)

Outcomes