cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nexion21
Journeyman III

Vega 56 Black-Screen issue, possible fix but not with newest drivers?

I have 2x Vega 56's with the exact same problem, both of them cause a black screen randomly, any time from 5 minutes after the computer is restarted, up to 3 days.

RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue 
The linked thread above describes my issue exactly, and proposes a fix which seems to have worked for several people. With the newest drivers, I cannot figure out how to implement their solution because wattman no longer exists.

Their solution:

after watching the HBM2 down/Up clocking constantly 167mhz-500mhz-800mhz-945mnhz,

i locked the HBM2 Memory on 945mhz and it can't down-clock anymore and stays static on 945mhz (with

Wattman).

Below is where I can control the tuning of the card but I don't know how to set the memory to be locked at 945 mhz. I've been dealing with this problem for months now. I don't care about performance, I just want my computer to stop crashing. Any help would be much appreciated.

RadeonSoftware_fLpRTEIi8J.png

0 Likes
12 Replies
singul4r
Adept III

The blackscreen with fans speeding up to 100% are triggered by the drivers when some kind of wrong signals are sent by VDDC and MVDD sensors. This is an error on some Vega cards that AMD never fixed.
My Vega 64 suffered it since 2018. 
The only thing that stopped all the problems is to install Radeon Pro Drivers, which it seems to ignore those messy sensors readings. 

Download drivers for Radeon Pro WX 8200 which is the Professional counterpart of Vega 56.
Is just the same chip

Capture234.PNG

Give it a try and then tell me what's going on

0 Likes

Before I go ahead and do that, Should I keep my adrenaline drivers as well?

Huge thanks for pointing me to this, I've been plagued by this problem for months

0 Likes

if you can, download DDU display driver uninstaller. Uninstall Adrenalin Gaming drivers from the roots. 

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.3 
Reboot and download the PRO version.

Test it. And tell us how it's going.

0 Likes

Update: I've ran DDU with the clean install/restart, while booted into safe mode.

Pro drivers (Revision # 20.Q3.1, found here) were then installed as of 5am on October 10th. I will update on October 20th, or earlier if I get the same crashes.

0 Likes

Update: My computer just crashed using the Pro drivers I linked

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

+ Change the State1 core voltage from 991 to 1000.
+ Change the State7 core voltage from 1200 to 1162 (or 1175).
+ Change the State7 frequency from 1630 to 1600 (or 1590 or 1580).

Applying these settings may make the GPU work more stable.

0 Likes

I tried this, and around 24 hours later my computer crashed the same as before. I'm going to give the Pro drivers mentioned above a shot.

0 Likes

There may be a problem with the PSU. There may also be a problem with the new driver. It is useful to consider the possibilities. Use this if you have a stable driver, but this is not normal.

0 Likes

I've replaced every single component in my computer with brand new components. I bought a $250, 850w platinum rated PSU. If it is the PSU, I am the least lucky person alive.

0 Likes

Have you set up the graphics card with two GPU power cables (not one)?

0 Likes

yes, of course

0 Likes

Switch off windows power saving modes. 

0 Likes