AnsweredAssumed Answered

Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Question asked by gvertes on Oct 4, 2020

Hi there,

I've been getting this warning in the Event Viewer ever since I upgraded from gtx 550ti to an RX 5600 XT. I experience game crashes at random times when playing COD Warzone or Rainbow Six: Siege. The crashes sometimes happen after a few minutes, sometimes a few hours of gaming and sometimes I get nights of no crashes. In Warzone, the error thrown from the game is DEV ERROR 6068 stating that DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error.

I have tried many different things to try and identify the issue but so far nothing has worked:

- Reinstalled windows (2004 and 1901 versions) multiple times

- Tried about 10 different graphics card driver versions using DDU dating back to versions from over a year ago

- Tried all the settings recommended from the Warzone community; set video scaler to 0.5, underclocked gpu, run as administrator, turn settings all the way down, high performance mode, reinstalls of the game itself, disable in-game overlays, etc.

- I've actually even tried a GTX 2060 Super and had a similar error in the log so I am pretty sure it's not driver issues. Could it be RAM? PSU? HD? MOBO?

- CPU and RAM are set back to factory settings (no XMP set as I've already tried with both XMP on and off)

I have read a lot of posts about this but doesn't seem like anyone has been able to identify the exact root cause. I'm starting to think that there is a problem with some of my hardware but during stress tests, I get no crashes. I've run furmark on the GPU and OCCT I just ran for 1 hour with no errors detected.

The computer itself does not crash, just the games quit. I don't have much else to go on but if someone could please help me I would be very grateful!

MOBO: ASUS Z170-A

GPU: ASUS TUF RX 5600 XT

RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4

PSU: Corsair TX750

CPU: i5-6600k

Any data or tests that would help in identifying the root cause I would be happy to provide.

Thank you!

Gregg

Outcomes