cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Can't install Ryzen Master or AMD chipset drivers

It seems like this issue is present in a pretty wide range of systems. Some other reports of this can be found here and here. The two issues definitely seem to be linked, judging by other user reports.
My System
Hardware:
  • R7 3800X CPU
  • b450 tomahawk max MB
  • 5700XT GPU (Gigabyte Gaming OC)
  • 2x8GB 3200 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT RAM
  • 500GB Kingston A2000 SSD (OS Drive)
  • 750W Gigabyte G750H PSU
Software:
  • Windows 10 Education 10.0.19041 Build 19041
  • Radeon 20.9.1 GPU Drivers
  • 2.01.15.2138 Chipset Drivers
  • Bios version 3.70,
  • No Ryzen Master installed
Ryzen Master
The problem
Installing ryzen master appears to go smoothly. I can click through the installer as normal and I even get a "Successfully Installed" message at the end. However, the installer doesn't actually install anything, not even an installation directory. Here's the log.
Things I've tried
  • Running this tool from microsoft. It doesn't detect Ryzen Master as installed.
  • Installing old versions of Ryzen Master from 3rd Party websites such as guru3d.
  • Deleting pretty much every key that relates to Ryzen Master in my registry
  • Running the various executables created in C:/AMD/RyzenMasterExtract. They either straight up don't work (/AMD Ryzen Master.msi, /MSIFiles/AMD Ryzen Master.msi), have the same issue (/MSIFiles/Qt_Dependencies/Setup.exe), or give the message: "Installation of AMD Ryzen Master from extracted binaries is prohibited." (/MSIFiles/Packages/AMD Ryzen Master UI.exe)
  • Following this post I can create a modified version of the installer that I can acutai, however now I get Error 1720.

Chipset Drivers
The problem
I cannot install chipset drivers past version 2.01.15.2138. Any later version give this error.
Things I've tried
  • Uninstalling previous versions, with both the AMD cleanup utility and the microsoft tool mentioned above.
  • Running DDU in safe mode, then reinstalling graphics drivers from the AMD website.

Other things I've tried
  • On top of what I've mentioned above, I've also tried a completely clean installation of Windows 10 Pro on a different SSD with no extra drives attached, ruling out any of my storage devices as the issue. On the clean install, the only programs I attempted to install were Ryzen Master and the Chipset Drivers, but both failed in the same ways mentioned above. To me, this implies either a hardware or firmware issue.
  • I have also cleared CMOS multiple times, changed the BIOS mode to UEFI from BIOS, and flashed the latest bios manually.
  • Disabling windows defender during installation
  • Running a system file checker scan
  • Running the installers as administrator
  • Reinstalling Visual C++ redistributables
6 Replies

Yep I can't load the latest chipset driver either. Fails every time I try. 

Same mother board as the OP with 3700x.

I know I got my driver from MSI, I opened a support ticket with MSI. They told me that they have had many reports of the issue. I know that the last time I updated my chipset driver was before I upgraded this machine to Windows 2004. My other Ryzen system on the same motherboard also has Windows 2004 but it was a clean install. The chipset driver installed fine on it. I just figured I would wait and try the next driver. By then hopefully MS or AMD has it figured out. The driver on the MSI site is 2.07.21.306  and it fails installation. It appears to be a newer driver than the one on the AMD site. Maybe AMD knows of issues and that is why they are not offering it for B450?  The latest driver for B450 on the AMD site is 2.07.14.327, and it installs fine. 

I've tried installing the driver from both the MSI and AMD websites, no luck with either past 2.01.15.2138. I might try opening a support ticket too, if I can't work it out. I'm fairly sure the root cause is either a hardware or firmware issue, since my clean windows install on a separate SSD didn't fix the problem.

fix

dont bother trying to fix this by minipulating your system in anyway, it doesnt work i have tried them all. My last 2 pcs suffered the same crap with completely different components. I cant install Ryzen master or any chipet drivers. Theres only 1 true fix

default bios- reinstall windows completely using media creation tool -update windows- install chipset drivers and ryzen master before anything else. If you want to update the chipset in the future....repeat.

contacted MSI about 10 times,,,Asus,,and AMD 20 times...they all gave up. Blind monkey programming and testing

0 Likes

Try installing MSI own Motherboard Chipset and see if you have the same issue: Support For B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

At least if it installs correctly that will indicate something is wrong with AMD Chipset installer.

Here is the latest Ryzen Master for your processor: https://www.amd.com/en/support/cpu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-7-desktop-processors/amd-ryzen-7-3... 

Looking at your Ryzen Master log, the very last line has an interesting error 1603:

Some links to that error for different softwares but most all indicates that a file was in use during the installation: Acronis Software: Installation fails with "MainEngineThread is returning 1603" or "MainEngineThread ... 

This link gives some very good tips on how to resolve error 1603 with AMD Drivers: https://www.easypcmod.com/how-to-fix-amd-error-1603-issue-quick-and-easy-way-5941 

Before installing the AMD Chipset make sure you delete in the Root Directory C:/AMD CHIPSET folder.  After installing, if successful, again delete that folder - C:\AMD CHIPSET.

By the way, excellent original post with many good details of what you have done or troubleshooting software you used.

This is definitely the most helpful response I've had so far, but unfortunately nothing here seems to work.

The installer for the drivers on the MSI website appears to be the same as the installer from the AMD website, and gives the same errors, though it is about 80MB smaller. I can't find any log files for the chipset driver.

As for Ryzen Master, that's the same installer I've been using, though I've also tried some older ones. I've just tried almost everything on those pages. The only thing I wasn't able to try was installing to a different directory, as I can't even change the install directory before I get the error.

One thing some people pointed out on my reddit post was that this only seems to occur on pre-zen 2 chipsets such as B450 and X470. I guess this is possible, though the issue doesn't seem to be restricted to zen 2 CPUs judging by this deleted comment on my old post 5 months ago.

I'll update the post with what I've tried.