cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ryzen 5 3600 cooler go in a good velocity while playing but when I stop playing it starts to go faster automatically. Its that common?

ryzen 5 3600 cooler

10 Replies
gnoll
Adept II

Hi andresaguilar‌,

In theory when you are playing your CPU utilization should go up, generating more heat and so inciting the CPU fan to spin faster.

However, with almost all the system you can set-up a custom fan profile, although improbable, it may be that your fan was set to spin faster when the temperature is lower.

The first thing you should do is to verify if the fan actually spins faster when you are not playing, my suggestion would be to download "hwinfo", and set it to log the speed (rpm) of the fans, you can set from within the software to log all these values in a CSV file.

Open hwinfo and set the logging on a CSV file, then play the game for 5 minutes. After this, you should be able to see in the CSV file whether the fan runs faster while you are gaming or not.

Please note as well that some fans may not be well balanced (i.e. low-end fans or dust on the fans), this could lead to fans making more noise when spinning on low rpm. This could give you the impression that the fan is spinning faster when you are not playing, while instead, it's just more noisy.

0 Likes

I already did the things you have mentioned. I didn't see the difference on

the RMP between playing and non-playing. The cooler and the micro are new.

I really hear the difference on the noise of the cooler, of course it's not

an annoying noise but I can't understand why automatically I stop playing

the cooler start to make more noise.

El jue., 1 oct. 2020 a las 11:49, gnoll (<amd-external@jiveon.com>)

escribió:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: ryzen 5 3600 cooler go in a good velocity while playing but when I

stop playing it starts to go faster automatically. Its that common? in

Processors

0 Likes

Hi andresaguilar‌,

If you verified through the reporting software that the CPU cooler does not actually ramp up I think we have to look into other options.

I would suggest evaluating these points:

1. Do you have any other fans that could be ramping up? (GPU, PSU, case fans)
  2. Do you have any spinning hard drive that may be generating the sound?
  3. Do you have any UPS attached to the computer? if so, some UPS tend to emit more coil whine when under small power loads.
  4. Some components (i.e. PSU) are more prone to "coil whine", it's possible that the noise you hear is not actually from a fan.
  5. Try to do a test by stressing the CPU with Prime95 or even just executing Cinebench R20, this could help identify if the issue happens only while gaming or more generally during CPU utilization.
  6. Try to remove all audio devices (speakers, headsets, etc.) and execute the test again.
  7.  It is not very likely, but you may have a faulty CPU cooler, it would help if you could try another CPU cooler.

Please note that with whining/buzzing noises it's quite tricky to identify their source, and it's possible that the noise comes from a different source, don't give for granted that the noise is coming from your computer. These kinds of noises tend to bounce more easily and can be easily misunderstood from coming form the wrong direction.

If you still hear the noise, please upload a video of it showing as well the inside of your PC and all the fans.

0 Likes

I don't have any things that you mentioned. The "noise" isnt an annoying

noise but I can't understand why while playing if I open for example the

task manager I hear a changue in the sound of the cooler. I don't know if

in a video you could listen it. Sorry my inglish is very bad. Is this

problem risk problem for my micro?

El vie., 2 oct. 2020 a las 6:09, gnoll (<amd-external@jiveon.com>) escribió:

Processors

0 Likes

You may have a setting out of wack in the Bios or it just saved some info wrong. Reset your bios to defaults and see if that helps. If not make sure you have the latest bios installed for you board it may be a bug that has been fixed in a later bios. For what you have to be happening it would have to be the bios fan settings are not right or something like rzyen master is not right. If you are using it, return it to defaults too. Also make sure the cpu fan is plugged into the cpu fan header. Also make sure in your bios that the header is set for a cpu fan and not a pump for an AIO radiator. 

0 Likes

It's everything okay. Look please at this photos. I did the things you

said but it still happening.

0 Likes

Best I can tell you is talk to the support department for your mother board. 

You can contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

Here is a video where you can see maybe whats happening. The highest sound

you gonna listen is when I pause playing.

El vie., 2 oct. 2020 a las 20:03, pokester (<amd-external@jiveon.com>)

escribió:

Processors

0 Likes

I understand it is happening. Beyond what I told you I don't know what else to try. Talk to the actual support teams of the people that made your hardware. Hopefully they can help or offer an RMA. 

0 Likes

Hi andresaguilar‌,

What you probably hear is the fan ramping up and down due to CPU temperature changes, this can seem weird as you would expect the CPU to have a higher usage while playing, but this is not always the case (i.e. background tasks, system processes, etc.)

Ryzen CPU's are quite volatile regarding temperatures, this means that the CPU can get way hotter just to execute a background task, for then going back to low utilization, and low temperature. 

If I look at your fan curve, I can see that it has the most variation between 20° and 65°, this is where your CPU will sit most of the time.

Considering that you have an AMD Wraith Stealth (max 2600rpm) your fan will go at 50% (1268rpm) at 50°, and at 75% (1690rpm) at 65°, most likely the noise that you hear is your fan ramping up and down between these two speeds.

This will not create any issue for your CPU, so I can confirm that you don't need to worry about that.

If the continuous ramp up/down bothers you, you could try to increase the lower setting to a higher RPM, this should reduce the continuous ramp up/down.

If this doesn't help, a quieter solution would be to buy an aftermarket cooler.