cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mordekai
Journeyman III

I have Athlon 3000g and Asrock a320m hdv r4.0,

Are the spec compatible with nvme gen 3 x4? 

AFAIK athlon 3000g belong to picasso family, and asrock web tell 

"1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge)"

i need more info 

0 Likes
2 Replies

Yes the Athlon 3000g is a Picasso 12 nm processor: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Athlon%203000G.html 

ASRock Specs on your Motherboard is a little bit confusing since it says it does support PCIe Gen 3 x4 for Picasso processors but then says that Athlon APU's support only Gen3 x2: ASRock > A320M-HDV R4.0 

So going by ASRock Specs Athlon series APU seems to be compatible with only GEN3 x2 speeds.

I would check the NVME Support to see if your SSD  can be used on GEN3x2 slot.

Here is ASRock QVL List for Storage devices for your motherboard. It shows both Gen3x4 and Gen3x2 Storage devices plus SATA: ASRock > A320M-HDV R4.0 

There are 4 or 5 more GEN3x2 devices further down this list.

EDIT: You can use a GEN3x4 SSD on a GEN3x2 port because it is backward compatible but it will run at GEN3x2 speeds and not GEN3x4 speeds:

1-[SOLVED] - PCIe gen3x4 on PCIe gen 3x2 Port | Tom's Hardware Forum 

2-How to Check PCIe M.2 NVMe SSDs Compatibility with your PC or Motherboard - Appuals.com 

0 Likes

I have one of those processors and it also has 4 lanes for a discrete graphics card.

Low cost M.2 SATA SSD are better suited and for a few pesos more M.2 NVMe x2 SSD products are also available.

I reviewed lots of these on my site.

0 Likes