cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Journeyman III

Way to limit R9 280 voltage

My card has always run hot, 81 idle and hits 100.  I notice the temp goes high when the GPU jumps voltage to 1.15 or higher.  I'm not even gaming and am not in need of that extra voltage.  Is there a tool that can allow me to limit my voltage for this older card.  The voltage is locked in everything I could find.  Would love anything pointing me in a direction.  I have the most up to date adrenaline and have tried MSI afterburner.  If there is a Radeon driver along the way that allowed it, I'd even go back and use that driver.

1 Solution

I don't think the AMD drivers on that older card allow you to do so. You may be able to find a custom bios so you could search for that. 

however:

More than likely your overheating issue is either a defective chip to begin with that likely should not have passed validation, since you say it was always that way, or a bad fan(s) or very likely just bad thermal compound or how it was applied. 

Since you are likely not under warranty, I'm guessing by the age of the product, buy some good thermal compound, order some new pads for the VRM's and pull the cooler off, clean it up and apply the new stuff. It will likely run cooler than ever. 

There are plenty of videos on youtube to show you how to do this. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I don't think the AMD drivers on that older card allow you to do so. You may be able to find a custom bios so you could search for that. 

however:

More than likely your overheating issue is either a defective chip to begin with that likely should not have passed validation, since you say it was always that way, or a bad fan(s) or very likely just bad thermal compound or how it was applied. 

Since you are likely not under warranty, I'm guessing by the age of the product, buy some good thermal compound, order some new pads for the VRM's and pull the cooler off, clean it up and apply the new stuff. It will likely run cooler than ever. 

There are plenty of videos on youtube to show you how to do this. 

I made a first message thanking you for the idea.  I shut down my computer and pulled the card after watching a youtube video.  May have been smarter to watch a few.... but.  It went well and the card is back in.  Pushing it a little and the dang thing is only hitting 63 degrees.  Thank you so much... I had no idea it was that easy to fix.

Just mark my answer as correct. 

I am so glad to help it is why I do it. Every time you help someone it makes you feel pretty good about it and they do too!

Pay it forward. Someone will need you help soon enough.

Take care!

0 Likes