AnsweredAssumed Answered

ROCM SMI reports low power usage.

Question asked by b.stolk on Sep 22, 2020
Latest reply on Sep 23, 2020 by dipak

I am developing under Ubuntu, using a Radeon RX 5500 XT and the gpupro driver (20.30-1109583 version.)

I was puzzled by the lower than expected performance, so decided to investigate.

I must say, a lot of the AMD tools have been deprecated, no longer supported, or lack OpenGL support.

Anyways... I did find ROCM SMI.

Thanks for sharing that!

When I disable vsync, in order to load the GPU as much as possible, with my game, I get this report back from ROCM SMI:

========================ROCm System Management Interface========================
================================================================================
GPU  Temp   AvgPwr  SCLK     MCLK    Fan    Perf          PwrCap  VRAM%  GPU%  
0    68.0c  38.0W   1185Mhz  875Mhz  20.0%  profile_peak  120.0W   26%   99%   
================================================================================
==============================End of ROCm SMI Log ==============================

Now, onto my question: What puzzles me is that the GPU is reportedly at a load of 99%. Good.

But how come it is drawing 38Watts of the max 120Watt load?

Do I have an inefficiency in my OpenGL code that makes the GPU load 99% but yet, somehow, doesn't make the GPU work at full capacity? (I render 2560x1600 MSAA, no vsync, so I would expected a lot of power draw?)

OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Radeon RX 5500 XT
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.14752 Core Profile Context 20.30

Outcomes