dsrevan22

BSOD, Black screen on Ryzen 5 2500U Vega 8

Discussion created by dsrevan22 on Sep 19, 2020
Latest reply on Oct 3, 2020 by dsrevan22

So I can't seem to figure out what is causing these issues. I'm struggling with black screens and BSODs since December I believe when AMD first released the new Adrenalin drivers. But back then I saw that a lof of people had simmilar problems and a couple of updates later around April or May it seemed like that it got solved. Then I changed my regular HDD to an SSD, so obviously fresh install of Windows 10 (v: 2004) and I updated my drivers to the latest versions and the black screens and BSODs came back. Usually it happens when I play games like (War Thunder, Star Wars the Old Republic, F1 2018 etc) but sometimes it crashes while using Google Chrome too, even though it seems like that at least I solved this by turning hardware acceleration off. 

What I tried so far: 

-Installing the recommended driver instead of the latest one (I believe it's 20.4.2 at the moment) 
-Using DDU and reinstalling the drivers after that (I also noticed that Windows update likes to mess up my drivers by replacing them with outdated versions so I checked the box in DDU where it block the OS from installing drivers)
-reinstalling Windows 10
-updating the BIOS
-creating a registry to increase TDRDelay to 8 seconds

But none of those fixed it permanently. I also ran the diagnostic software that Lenovo provides for their laptops and it didn't find anything, so I assume that it's not a hardware failure. Tried memtest and furmark too and none of those detected a failing RAM or GPU either. 

Any suggestions?

System spec:
Lenovo IdeaPad 330
Ryzen 5 2500u with Vega 8 graphics + Radeon 540 discrete GPU
Ram: 4+4 gb 

Kingston SSD 480 GB

Attachments

Outcomes