cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tsjorda
Journeyman III

V1000 APU OpenCL

I have tried about 10 ways to get OpenCL working on a V1000 APU (V1404i to be exact) and can't get anything working. Worse, the documents that come with the AMD drivers on their website haven't change as the kernel and OS builds have so it's all out of date.

IOMMU is enabled in BIOS

I have tried:

1. Ubuntu 18.04
    1. pocl-ocl-icd
      1. clinfo only shows processor (expected)
    2. mesa-ocl-icd
      1. clinfo won't show GPU
    3. ROCm DKMS (not officially supported for V1000)
      1. clinfo - seg fault
    4. ROCm OpenCL only
      1. clinfo - seg fault
    5. AMD driver kernel 5.4.2
      1. clinfo - shows GPU through ROCm-OpenCL that was installed through the driver, yay!
      2. execute openCL code -
        1. hangs on kernel execution
        2. concurrent clinfo call un-hangs the code, kills display, hangs. CTRL-C kills it, but clinfo can't be called again until after reboot
  2. Ubuntu 20.04
    1. AMD driver kernel 5.4.2
      1. clinfo - shows nothing because ROCm is no longer installed (despite the included documentation)
      2. Install Latest ROCm-OpenCL (3.7.0) - shows 1 Platform, no devices

All I want to do is get OpenCL working on this device's GPU. Has anyone at AMD tested this?

0 Likes
3 Replies

RE: All I want to do is get OpenCL working on this device's GPU. Has anyone at AMD tested this?

Probably not.

RX5700XT still not supported on ROCm.
Cant get an RX590 working either.
I do not rate your chances.

0 Likes

I don't need ROCm, only OpenCL.

Installing the Embedded drivers from their website for 18.04 includes some version of ROCm and ROCm-OpenCL which the documentation claims to work on the V1000. However, OpenCL kernels hang when I run them on that "platform" (ref 1.5.2 in original post). The 20.04 drivers don't include ROCm, though the documentation says it does.

0 Likes

You might want to open an Online AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT): https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form  and see what they suggest since you have an AMD Embedded Motherboard Graphics.

Also you may want to post at AMD Developer's Forum here: Newcomers Start Here‌ which will then give you access to OpenCL‌ forum when you are "Whitelisted".