cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tatot333
Adept I

overheating

I got ryzen 5 3600 six moths ago . recently I've noticed that idle temp of cpu is 95c , PPT is 90% and voltage is around 1200w . This temp is not normal , so I changed thermal paste , re adjusted cooling fan ( came with cpu) , but still no change . 

11 Replies

It will help to know your full computer information.

But either your CPU Cooler - AMD Wraith Spire Cooler (no LED) - which came bundled with your processor is not installed correctly or is defective or you have poor air circulation in your computer case.

The Spire is sufficient to maintain your Processor's temperature under normal use, so if you are getting 95C while on idle or normal use of the computer without being under heavy stress or loads than something is wrong with the installation, CPU Cooler, or Air circulation.

to eliminate poor Air Circulation in your Computer case, remove the side panel where the CPU Cooler is and see if Temperatures decreases. If possible direct a small floor fan directly into your computer case and see if temps decreases.

Also check to make sure the CPU Cooler's fan is not obstructed by a cable or wire and that it is running at full RPM or speed when temps reaches over 70 C.

Is the Spire connected tightly and evenly on the surface of the Processor?

Thanks for getting back to me .

I opened the side panel of case , but still no change . Tomorrow I will buy

new cooling fan to mount on cpu and check the temps .

0 Likes

If the user has a 3600 it came bundled with a stealth and they are a pretty pretty bad even compared to the spire, IMHO. That being said if the OP's temps were under control and now are not. The cooler difference is irrelevant.  It could be a fan failing on the CPU and going to better cooler is a great idea.

To the OP changing that fan doesn't fix things then you should likely set the motherboard to defaults and reload your chipset driver and ryzen master and set the power profile to Ryzen Balanced.

If all is good there you can turn XPM and PBO on, if you choose. 

If you continue from that point to have issues reply back. 

You are correct, I mistakenly looked at the Rzyen 5 3600X which comes with a Spire and the Rzyen 5 3600 comes with the Stealth, the weakest AMD CPU cooler.

0 Likes

Have you updated your AMD GPU driver very recently. I am asking because I have just seen a thread where a couple people are saying something similar that after updated the CPU's are going into high utilization thus high heat. 

If you don't have an AMD GPU that would not apply if you do then you might try regressing GPU drivers. 

Just bringing it up as it seems suspiciously possible it is similar to the other thread. 

0 Likes

I installed new cooler today Gammax gte , temp is sitting on 73c , PPT is

100% . I will monitor it today and let you know about further updates .

Temp is still high for idle , don't you think ?

You can change Windows Power Plan to "Balance" or some other Power Plan and see if PPT, & TDC goes down or changes. You can do it while Ryzen Master is open.

Also if you have PBO (Which automatically safely overclocks the processor) disabled that might also affect PPT & TDC. 

Even if your processor was not idle and running at a high frequency, it shouldn't reach 95C with a good CPU Cooler.

You can check out your new CPU Cooler by Stress testing your CPU and see how hot it gets during the test. You can use OCCT to test the CPU and GPU and PSU or some other diagnostic program that you prefer.

Make sure in BIOS/UEFI you have your Fan curve set for aggressive cooling for maximum cooling.

By the way, The Maximum Operating Temperature of your Ryzen Processor is 95C. This mean when the Processor's temperature starts reaching or at 95C, the processor will automatically start to throttle (slow down) to maintain a 95C or lower temperature.  If the processor can't prevent the temperature from continuing to rise, it will reach a certain temperature (way above 95C) where the processor will shut down the computer before it gets damaged.

Yes I do think that is high for idle. Make sure that you don't have processes running in the background. 73 is about what my 3600 runs with a 212 evo under full load. 

If task manager doesn't show anything running. That doesn't mean nothings running. Some malware masks itself very well. Download rkill from bleepingcomputer dot com. Download malwarebytes. Restart to safe mode run rkill then malwarebytes, make sure your system is clean. This likely is not the issue but it sure doesn't hurt to scan for malware anyway.

If that turns up nothing. I still think I would reload the chipset driver. I would would also make sure you set your bios to defaults and don't change anything there until you verify temps in Windows. If you are still hot at that point. I would talk to you motherboard makers support staff for advice. 

It's always possible your silicon has just degraded quickly. It happens. At that point ask AMD for an RMA and don't mention ever using XMP or PBO if you did as they will tell you it voids your warranty, which is silly IMHO. As they, their AIB partners and OEM pc makers all advertise those higher specs as being what it is supposed to do.  

misterj
Big Boss

Have not one of you noticed the Ryzen Master the OP posted!  All six of the cores are running over 3600 MHz!  The processor is NOT idle but fully loaded!  Enjoy, John.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

But task manager shows that cpu usage is very low .

0 Likes

Yah that is why I mentioned he should check for malware. Just because task manager doesn't show activity doesn't mean there isn't any.

ENJOY!