cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

necromancer_365
Journeyman III

AMD ryzen 5 3550h overheating on a nitro 5 from acer

I got my computer Last year, and it has almost been a year, and now my computer is acting slower than it used to, some simple games that I play will give me extreme frame drop, from a good stead 60 fps to 1 fps.  It is not that nice as it takes about 5 seconds to get some more frames back, but it will continuly do it.  It really destroyes the fun in gaming.  I have been looking into it and all and it seems that the cpu it overheating and has been getting to 100 degrees Celcius, and I believe it is only to handle 90 degrees Celcius.  Is any one there that may be able to help me on this?

2 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

You probably just need to clean the heatsinks.

Blowing some compressed air through them usually does the trick.

In addition to that great advice. Also pay attention to how the fans are spinning. Are the consistent or do you notice skipping, slowdowns not smooth etc. May be a fan going bad and if it is the CPU cooler that is a big deal. 

Also depending on what thermal compound was used by Acer, some drys out faster than others and you may just need to re-apply some new thermal compound between the cpu cooler and the cpu. 

Do to how you describe the problem it really makes me suspect and issue with a fan or just a seriously dirty one. Your speed drops are likely the CPU throttling do to heat. This also applies to the fans on the GPU they will cause it to throttle if not clean. 

Piece of advice a small paint brush is good for dusting the stuff out. If you blow with air just make sure to hold the fans stationary as whipping them around with compressed air can potentially damage bearings in the fan. 

Make sure to have the system unplugged when you do all of this. 

Now another thought before applying thermal compounds since you are in your first year, you likely are still under warranty and some things you do yourself can void said warranty. 

So you might want to ask Acer support about what you can do yourself verse and RMA. Especially if you are not tech savy some things may seem a bit daunting. 

0 Likes