Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3600

PSU: AORUS P750W 80+ GOLD Modular

Case: Antec Performance Series P120 Crystal E-ATX Mid-Tower Case,

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro Version 2004

GPU Drivers: Adrenaline 20.8.3

Chipset Drivers: 2.07.14.327

Background Applications: Chrome Browser/idle/gaming

Description of Original Problem: so I've been suffering for random crashes involving black screen audio freeze (there is no BSOD) , and there is no specific trigger for the reboots.

it could happen while gaming ,or even watching YouTube videos on browser or sometimes even at idle startup

after the random reboot occurs : I open up the event viewer and find a critical event called kernel-power event id: 41

And more importantly I also find an error event called WHEA-LOGGER event id :18

after reading a bit about this event it specifies that a hardware error triggers it

yet can't be sure what exactly caused the problem, might be the cpu or the gpu or even the mobo

Event snap-shot: : https://ibb.co/RPNfYBd

Troubleshooting:

1. buying a new PSU (AORUS AP750GM)

2. reinstalling OS (like 100000000 times)

3. DDU on daily basis (literally daily since I lost hope)

4. ran variety of stress tests starting from 3D-Mark , Prime 95 , FurMark, OCCT

5. ran diagnostic health test for both my HDD & SSD

6. Done several times CMOS RESET

7. always up-to-date when it comes to GPU drivers and bios version

8. tried non beta drivers & beta drivers , problem still persists ....

bottom of line I've literally tried everything , yet still suffering from these random arbitrary reboots

6 Replies
accn
Elite

its faulty gpu/driver

0 Likes
accn
Elite

Did you return your gpu under warranty or found a solution?

0 Likes
satanael
Adept III

blackeswadeh

if you knew the origins of the issue please share with me cuz i got the same issue.

accn

wait! are you serious? faulty GPU? cuz i got the same issue?

my GPU Can't Work @144hz Without It Goes Black Then Freeze Crash Then Reboot My Entire PC.

So Do You think it is Driver or GPU? i already stress test it. it ran for 1 hour vulkan API very stable.

OFC i was able to find a workaround which is i must use 120hz Refresh Rate All the time Or Switch To HDMI Port Which Also Lock My Refresh Rate to 120hz.

0 Likes
accn
Elite

I purchased my rx 5700 a year ago, since then I have changed 2 power supplies, RAM, motherboard and cpu, reinstalled windows many times, etc. My memory and cpu are stable, my gpu can go stress test time spy for hours. But my pc randomly reboots or freezes with TRRRRRRRRRRR sound and reboots. Then whea logger 18 error appears in the event log along with kernel-power 41. This often happens while loading games, and not so often during gameplay. Also, crashes often occur when switching between the game and the desktop. I've found tons of people on reddit with exactly the same problems, and everyone who changed the gpu said the problem was gone. The problem is clearly gpu, or gpu compatibility with certain displays, but I can't believe AMD can't fix compatibility issues in 1.5 years in their drivers

0 Likes

accn

TBH i still find it hard to be GPU since the issue looks common i mean our GPUs can't be faulty at the same time right?

since i changed my refresh rate to 120hz in everything i get no more crashes except in old games which use

(DX 7.0 - DX 8.1 - DX 9.0c) I Had Like 100 Crashes today trying to make old games work with Driver v20.10.1

i tried wrappers - disabling Vsync- Disabling Freesync - Changing monitor Refresh Rate Again.

i still have couple of ideas to apply and i will report back incase i was able to find something useful.

speaking of reddit users i saw most of them talking about RMA 5700 XT and Getting 2070S that's how most of them solved their problem but i didn't see anyone talk about another 5700 XT as replacement.

0 Likes

I am also experiencing problems with old games, or hardware accelerated 2d graphics. Since this problem occurs in a minority of rx 5700 users, I suspect that there are a limited number of defective gpu's that have similar problems. There is one of the oldest versions of the driver with rx navi support (19.7.5) works without black screens, crashes and reboots. Many new games don't work with this driver, and require updating, and in general the performance with it is lower, but the PC works stably. I don't know what allows this driver to work stably, but the problem can still be solved by software.

0 Likes